The Td5 10AS alarm unit

I've broken this off from the original thread.

I've checked my Td5 and I do see the unit there.

Assuming I have a nanocom with me, what exactly do I need to do to get it working?

I'm really fearful of screwing up and imobilising the engine and have it towed over to the stealership only to be reset and disable and I'm back to square one.

Where do i connect the CDL unit to once the 10AS alarm unit can work? Is there some relay that I need to tap from the above unit?

Guest diesel_jim

Plugging in the nanocom and using the alarm settings should make it work, however i'm having a few issues getting the alarm to work on my 110 at the moment.

whatever i set it to, it stays "un-immobilised" :(:(

I saw this in the other thread and am very interested in it too.

Where is the unit located?

Why was it put there, but not activated, if all it requires is programming and the price of a key fob?

seems bizarre!

I've no access to a nonocom though - so would be going to either a main dealer or an independent to get it activated.

Any suggestions for which would be better?

Guest diesel_jim
I saw this in the other thread and am very interested in it too.

Where is the unit located?

Why was it put there, but not activated, if all it requires is programming and the price of a key fob?

seems bizarre!

I've no access to a nonocom though - so would be going to either a main dealer or an independent to get it activated.

Any suggestions for which would be better?

It's there on all Td5's, just on some (which don't have an alarm) it's switched into "non alarm mode", so by buying a couple of key fobs, an internal motion detector and a few other bits, (and turning the unit "on") you can have a factory fitted alarm.

It's there on all Td5's, just on some (which don't have an alarm) it's switched into "non alarm mode", so by buying a couple of key fobs, an internal motion detector and a few other bits, (and turning the unit "on") you can have a factory fitted alarm.

anyone got a full list of the bits you need?

as i see the unit in mine the other day which confused me :rolleyes:

All TD5 Defenders have a 10AS as the main ECU needs to see it to start. Only possible to get a TD5 ECU running with an external modification without a 10AS.

You don't need any other bits to activate 10AS. If you want remote activation you need to buy at least one fob and have it synced to the alarm.

So if you want a working alarm/immobiliser with remote, just buy a fob and have it set up with a diagnostic system. As for LR dealer or independent - up to you. LR dealer may charge standard LR alarm fee of 250 pounds or at least book time at ~80 pounds per hour. Independent will obviously be less.

The internal sensor is optional, and I wouldn't guarantee that it will work as you need to fit wiring to 10AS plugs too.

Cheers

Steve

Where do i connect the CDL unit to once the 10AS alarm unit can work? Is there some relay that I need to tap from the above unit?

As mentioned on the other post (and now copied here)....

There are two types of 10AS unit, one ends in 270 - the other 280.

270 is base model spec, 280 is the higher spec unit and the only one with the central locking output.

If if you swap the coding over, you can not get a 270 to control the central locking - played around with this for quite a while!!

Basically with either set-up, you get a list of options... with basically everything turned off, all the engine ECU will do is request a code from the 10AS unit... if this code is the one the engine ECU expects to see, then the engine is allowed to start.

On a Defender if you remove the panel holding all of the clocks (speedo etc etc) you will see the 10AS unit screwed to the bulkhead. A green box with a grey and green plug going into it.

With regards to the Nanocom - I've played with one when I was in greece (on a new Trans'fender/Puma) and in all honesty got annoyed with it, and used my Rovacom instead!!

Ian

Guest diesel_jim
With regards to the Nanocom - I've played with one when I was in greece (on a new Trans'fender/Puma) and in all honesty got annoyed with it, and used my Rovacom instead!!

Ian

Same as that.... but will have to tap you up to get you & your Rovacom to make mine work! :wub::wub:

There are two types of 10AS unit, one ends in 270 - the other 280.

270 is base model spec, 280 is the higher spec unit and the only one with the central locking output.

If if you swap the coding over, you can not get a 270 to control the central locking - played around with this for quite a while!!

That explains why I couldn't get it to work then :rolleyes: . Thanks for that Ian, got any 280 models to swap for a 270? ;);)

Steve

Guest diesel_jim
Also, before I take the dash etc off to have a look, is the part number clearly marked on the 10AS ? It did not look like it was on that picture on the other thread. Thanks

As you look at the front of the alarm unit, the serial number is on a sticker, with either 270 or 280 on the end. you only need to remove the dash pod (4 self tappers) and maybe shine a torch in.