Broken Windscreen

Cat_J

I lost my windscreen to a broken tree sticking out of a hedge yesterday. Its getting replaced on Tuesday because there was a delay as they need to get a new rubber because this one is perished. Here some nice piccys for you. I ended up towing the tree out the the hedge as it probably would have killed a cyclist being right around a corner.

Do you think its legal to drive? I don't think it'll matter over the next couple of days too much as its getting fixed and the drivers view isn't really obstructed but whats other peoples views? There are some fairly understanding police round here.

post-8612-1222524947_thumb.jpg

post-8612-1222525054_thumb.jpg

Until an adult comes by,

As the crack is right the way across it's usually classed as "not safe", those cracks are likely to spread, could be gradual over a few days or it could be very sudden and catastrophic. I know I wouldn't be all that partial to fragments of glass coming at me while trying to drive at 40mph :blink:.

They may be understanding Police but that might be pushing it?

It may not obscure your view but how structurally sound is the glass now? Each little bump may indeed end up being the bump that shatters the glass totally. Hopefully that is the type of glass that doesnt just break up when it fails, and it has the plastic reinforcement that hold it together. If it doesn't have the plastic... you only have one pair of eyes...

Matt

It is laminated and I drove it last night to a friends then we hammered the a frame back into shape without do anymore damage to the glass ( and we weren't hitting it softly) so it seems fairly strong still, the laminate hasn't been compromised, just the glass. If it was toughened it would have just shattered into a million pieces anyway.

It is laminated and I drove it last night to a friends then we hammered the a frame back into shape without do anymore damage to the glass ( and we weren't hitting it softly) so it seems fairly strong still, the laminate hasn't been compromised, just the glass. If it was toughened it would have just shattered into a million pieces anyway.

As you say it is laminated and if it was my car I would happily drive it like that but it has to be your call as when it comes down to a safety issue no one is going to tell you to do it in today's litigious society

Thats pretty much how I feel about it, its getting fixed in a couple of days, its not like I've ignored it and the laminate is still there. Just wanted to know what other people thought. Theres no way I'll ever go on anything but fully comp insureance after this, after looking ti up it would have cost me a fortune just for the glass a rubber.

A friend had a pheasant take out his screen, maybe a tad worse than your pictures

Happens at 8am one morning,, phone the garage, and was on the way there, 20 miles away,, and got a ticket,, 3 points, and either £ 30 or £60 fine,,

The plod was not interested that it had just happened, and was on the way to get it fixed !! :(

Guest diesel_jim

Was it on a public road where the branch was sticking out?

Keep the pictures on you, if plod stops you and tries to charge you, pass him the photo's and the address of your local council, and tell him to go chase them for not having the roads in a safe condition for vehicles to drive along!

Thats pretty much how I feel about it, its getting fixed in a couple of days, its not like I've ignored it and the laminate is still there. Just wanted to know what other people thought. Theres no way I'll ever go on anything but fully comp insureance after this, after looking ti up it would have cost me a fortune just for the glass a rubber.

i did mine 2years ago hit a phesant at 40mph on my side cost me 55quid for a new glass and rubber

mine was abit worse than yours and i had a second car

buit if i were you i'd only drive if you have too as it only take a copper having a bad day for you to end up with a big fine and points as TJ101 got cort with

you may find it better to take it right out and have some goggles (dont know it this is legel mind).

Well it'll only be driven for work for then next couple of days which will be really early in the morning and when it dark so hopefully it should be okay.

And yeah, it was on a public road. Looked like it had been pushed through from the field next door.