Clutch noise

Hi all,

I was at work today when my wife phoned saying that the 110 was making an awful noise:

Let me explain she had started the 110 with the clutch depressed, when she let the clutch out, still being in neutral, she says that she let the clutch out faster than if she was taking up drive because it was in neutral. But there was a right racket upon letting the clutch off, she then depressed the clutch in and the noise stopped, but didn't want to drive it so she called me. (just to make my day!!!)

I'm thinking it could be the release bearing but am not sure?

I got home and started it and all seemed well although there seems to be a chuka chuka chuka sound(in neutral with my foot off the clutch) that I'm pretty sure has always been there coming from the clutch bell housing.

But it drove well and all seemed well.

What do think this noise could have been?

If its the release bearing is it likly to go bang!!

Cheers in advance

ted

Sounds like the release bearing to me - or possibly the clutch centre.

Les.

cheers

So if its the release bearing whats happening is it shot or just a sign its on its way?

I did have somthing similar happen to me about two years ago, my foot slipped of the clutch when it was in neutral and it made a right racket, but has been ok since then!

What do you mean by the clutch centre?

Cheers ted

Clutch plate centre hub (the bit that the gearbox spliny thingy goes into). They can break-up or the centre springs come loose. Perhaps the thrust bearing was temporarily off centre and is fine now. Sometimes a thrust bearing will make a noise for ages without any problems.

Les.

Gday Ted

My old defender makes the same noise when my foot is off the clutch but when you push the clutch in it stops and sometimes when I release the clutch slowly it dosent happen.Also when i take it for a long drive and come home let it idle before shutting it down the soumd is not there.

Have talked to other fender owners some of there fenders make the same sound and with 337 000km on the clock gotta expect a few noises.

:lol:

Goodluck with it Ted keep us posted..

Azza

P.s We should catch up one day for drive......Compare noises and leaks :lol:

Gday Ted

My old defender makes the same noise when my foot is off the clutch but when you push the clutch in it stops and sometimes when I release the clutch slowly it dosent happen.Also when i take it for a long drive and come home let it idle before shutting it down the soumd is not there.

Have talked to other fender owners some of there fenders make the same sound and with 337 000km on the clock gotta expect a few noises.

:lol:

Goodluck with it Ted keep us posted..

Azza

P.s We should catch up one day for drive......Compare noises and leaks :lol:

Nice to know I'm not alone ! (hearing noises that is!)

Azza that sounds good, we love Bribie Island, great place and a good beach. How is the inland track nowadays? The last time we drove it it was pretty rough,

All seems well with the clutch, for now but as a few have said its on the to do list!!!!!!!!!! With everything else!!!!!!

Cheers ted

Nice to know I'm not alone ! (hearing noises that is!)

Azza that sounds good, we love Bribie Island, great place and a good beach. How is the inland track nowadays? The last time we drove it it was pretty rough,

All seems well with the clutch, for now but as a few have said its on the to do list!!!!!!!!!! With everything else!!!!!!

Cheers ted

The tracks are still rough went through there about month ago with a few other forum members from another forum.

My clutch is also on the to do list my clutch is fine its just the clunk sound so Iam quessing its the release bearing.

Ive had a quote from MR Auto at Redcliff to replace with heavy duty new fork rear main seal ect $1500.00 bucks so will see what happens as I dont have the all the tools do the job.Ive got to get my leaking lift pump fixed/rebuilt first there goes $1500.00.

Azza

The tracks are still rough went through there about month ago with a few other forum members from another forum.

My clutch is also on the to do list my clutch is fine its just the clunk sound so Iam quessing its the release bearing.

Ive had a quote from MR Auto at Redcliff to replace with heavy duty new fork rear main seal ect $1500.00 bucks so will see what happens as I dont have the all the tools do the job.Ive got to get my leaking lift pump fixed/rebuilt first there goes $1500.00.

Azza

Yep they aint cheap!! MR that is, but on the other hand they are very good,

I'd like to say I'd give you a hand to do the clutch but I have my hands full at the moment building a garage, so Ive got somwhere to work on my old girl!

all the best ted