land rover split rims???

WHO?

dunno if they exsist or not i've only seen an old set for series 1 ages ago on ebay and alloys which were split rims for a defender but it said they were custom made.

does he need split rims?? if its to do with changing tyres then using a waffle board/sand ladder/hi-lift to brake the bead using the weight of the landy and tyre irons for getting the tye off works fine

dave

If it is the ones that look like standard Land Rover steel rims but are split you are thinking of, I'm not sure they were ever made specifically for Land Rovers. I've had a couple of sets and I think they were originally made for the Austin Champ (Also had one of them for a while, less said the better :blink: )

Original L/R split rims were supplied for military vehicles only if I remember right - so possibly only Series 1 vehicles. I bought 6 of them a few years ago - of which only 5 were any good. Getting the special nuts & bolts for them was murder though - the old ones had to be cut off.

If you get the original ones - they will be for 600/16 or 650/16 tyres. I fitted 650/16 Avon Traction Mileage to them.

Les.

The splits for 6.00 & 6.50 tyres were only 4.5" wide and the splits for the 7.00 & 7.50 tyres were IIRC 5.5" wide.

BUT on a RRC front axle the rim bolts/nuts foul the calipers and that was with solid discs. They also foul on 3" wide 109 front brake drums. Been there, seen it & done it.

• 4 weeks later...