Kumho 71 MT's

4b4

Hi - I'm changing the wheels & tyres on my 90 to 235/85 R16's (the 205's look pathetic) and wondered if anyone has any experience of the Kumho KL 71 MT's?

I've had BFG's (AT's) before and know how good they are so it's choice between the Kumhos or BFG MT's

Any thoughts?

I run 265/75 R16 KL71 and think they are a great tyre, this the size LR fit on 90s if you go for BFG Muds on alloys.

I have run BFG Muds for a good many years but changed to the KL71s last time around and have now done about 20000 miles on them and they are about half worn out. On and off road I think they are better than BFG but probably don't last quite as well. A few of my friends have now changed from BFG but have not done many miles yet but seem to be quite pleased so far.

Cheers Drakes

I was considering the 265/75s as opposed to the 235/85s - do you know whether you need 8 inch rims with the 265s?

Personally I'd fit 255/85 16 BFG MT's. Much better size for UK than both of the above.

Cheers

Steve

Like anything else it comes down to personal choice.

I did run bfg's in 265/75/16 form, but to be honest for the miles I do and the cost of replacements I now use INSA tractions or dakars,. both a bfg copies. I've found the new traction to be a really good tyre.

I'd rather get stuck and have to do a recovery than break something on the driveline, that's why I stayed away from Special Tracks. All in 265/75/16 format.

I'm with stuntman. INSA Turbo Dakars for me. They do the job fine, and are on average £30-£40 less per tyre than BFGs

That's true :) , but then I ran my BFG's for 2 1/2 years and 35,000 miles and sold them as a set of 5 with ~9mm of tread left for £250. So a set of five cost me about £250, less than your Insa's to run a good quality tyre for that many miles.

I bought a new set five for £535 and hopefully I'll be able to do the same in 2.5-3 yrs. ;)

Cheers

Steve

I fancy a more agressive tyre when my BFG AT's wear out - though I have a brand new one on the spare....

I'm not sure whether to leave the spare as an AT and cushion the blow to 4 MT's rather than 5.

Or to buy 5 MT's and see if I'd be able to sell a new AT on ebay?

any suggestions?