Disco 200 into defender

bishbosh

Tantalisingly, the thread in the tech archive is open ended when it comes to the compatability of the defender temperature gauge with the disco 200 TDi sender.

Can anyone shed any light please? Do I need a different sender?

Thanks,

Yes Bish you do. Do you have an EGT to go in your 90. If you ever think about fitting 1 of Si's EGT monitor systems I have a cut down Disco temp sender with the correct thread tapped through it to take the VDO temp sender.

I basically cut the original sender to bits and then tapped it through. Nice mod and it keeps things simple if ou ever want to strip it out and go back to standard. Let me know about the adaptor and I'll fling it over in the post or if you are off to Sodbury I'll bring it with me

Wow! Two out of two! :i-m_so_happy:

Ralph and Jamie must be quaking!! :lol:

Thanks for the info, I'll get one ordered. I presume it is just a case of unscrewing one and screwing in the other whilst attempting to prevent all the coolant making a bid for freedom?

No plans on the EGT front - got to do things like cages and winches first! Oh, and get the bluddy horn to work!! She did start tonight though :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: .

Err, edited to add that Dan's post wasn't there when I started my reply!! :lol: . I presume all I need is the defender 200TDi sender? Don't want to be taping the engine if I can help it.

The sender goes in the alloy housing not the block but it does have a different thread. You can either tap it as Dan did or gently start it off and 1/2 turn forward 1/4 turn out and get it in that way. Either way I'd suggest taking the housing off the block to do the work. As such you're going to lose a small bit of coolant. But it'll be worth it in the end

Ralph and Jamie must be quaking!! :lol:

. I presume all I need is the defender 200TDi sender? Don't want to be taping the engine if I can help it.

you presume correct, loads of times I've said use the 200Tdi Defender temp sender & posted the correct part number too

just in case you missed it

PRC8593 :i-m_so_happy:

the last one i did we used the TD sender and it screwed straight in! On Dans the thread had to be cut.

Or run it with the disco sender and it will run about 1/4 way up

I have a 200tdi def sender in the wksp somewhere if needed.

you presume correct, loads of times I've said use the 200Tdi Defender temp sender & posted the correct part number too

just in case you missed it

PRC8593 :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks Ralph. So is Walfy's statement about different thread pitches correct or will PRC8593 screw straight in to the Disco housing?

Bish

I've just change from 200 TDI Disco front end to 200 TDI Def front end. Everything from the front edge of the block forward :o . I can tell you 100% definite the threads are different. You can screw it in but it won't be a perfect match and you run the risk of knackering the threads in the housing. I know cos when I did mine I managed to damage them slightly and had to go to a small workshop in Minehead for them to sort it out and that's when I purchased a new Def sender and carried out the mod as per my Disco sender.

At the end of the day it's your choice, I'm just letting you know you may run into problems ;)

Bish - they are definitely different threads between a tdi def sender and a tdi disco sender and the tdi disco sender runs with the gauge showing low on a def gauge.

so you can leave it running low

or fit a def sender. As mark says take your choice, screw it in with PTFE and hope it doesnt leak or just get the thread in there recut, i have had success with both methods.

Thanks Ralph. So is Walfy's statement about different thread pitches correct or will PRC8593 screw straight in to the Disco housing?

slightly different thread's I believe, not having tried to fit a Defender 200Tdi sender into the Discovery housing or vice versa, I can't say if it'll work & be leak free.