welding drive flanges

Why?

As you say the the heat will play merry hell with the metalergy of the parts as well as other potential probles such as fatigue craking around the weld. As a temporary bodge we wleded up some worn splines on a tractor. It worked, but not for long before the shaft just cracked through.

First, you must use a TIG welder as the metals are different. Do not weld on the inside of the drive member as this will cause breakage. I have had welded half shafts on my 110 for years and so have many others here in SA. One company made a special jig that rotated at the correct speed to get a good weld. Autobox in Pretoria IIRC. I bought mine from Cliff Barker who used to race a 110 pickup with a BMW M3 engine and welded up centre diff and half shafts. He also ran a Detroit locker in the back, so the shafts got a bit of a pounding. He had FWH on the front for road use.

P1010004Small.jpg

First, you must use a TIG welder as the metals are different. Do not weld on the inside of the drive member as this will cause breakage. I have had welded half shafts on my 110 for years and so have many others here in SA. One company made a special jig that rotated at the correct speed to get a good weld. Autobox in Pretoria IIRC. I bought mine from Cliff Barker who used to race a 110 pickup with a BMW M3 engine and welded up centre diff and half shafts. He also ran a Detroit locker in the back, so the shafts got a bit of a pounding. He had FWH on the front for road use.

P1010004Small.jpg

mines much the same detroit locker 4.5 je engine that has twisted shafts in the past but it says alot for salisbury that although they look like a cork screw[slight exageration] thy havent broken yet .inspecting the shafts has become as routine as dipping the oil ,its the flanges that give me the problem.

Yes, the flanges are much weaker than the shafts themselves, but when the flange strips it often damages the shaft.

I'm glad I don't have the later 'wolf' type half-shafts, they seem to cost three times as much as the std Salisbury items. :(

With a 300tdi I don't think I have the power to damage the shafts :)

Welded up my flanges/shafts with a mig on my rear salisbury before my splines wore out. Welded all round on the outside and a couple of tacks on the inside. No problems, but make sure everything is perfectly straight.

Regards,

Diff