TDS-Goldfish

draper40

I am not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of bridge over traditional- any opinions?

£10 more for a bridge is the most obvious differance.

I'm not sure how the TDS compares, but on the EPi9 the design of the bridge provided more clearance for the cable wound on the drum compared to the bars on the EP9 which allowed either an exta 25' of cable or reduced the risk of the cable jamming from bunching up at one end of the drum.

The standard Lowline has one advantage over the bridge version which is the solenoid can be relocaded making the winch more compact to fit in lower spaces. The solenoid can be relocated on bridge models as well to get it up away from the water etc. but the bulky bridge would have to remain on the winch to brace the 2 sides.

firstly i will say i do know David and he does sponsor our challenge truck but the comments below are based on what i have seen and used of the winch rather than his blurb!

for the money if you are in the £500 region i think they are superb. they are slow so not ideal for comp work but they pull very well and the line speed doesnt seem to change that much under heavy load. so far ours has been very reliable as well. they would be good as an occasional use winch or for play days etc, seem much better made and robust than alot of the others on the market for similar prices.

on the bridge versions i dont think the solenoids are waterproofed so there are limiting factors there with the potential of mud ingress etc. but the beidge version gives you an instant easy fit winch or go the other way and remote the solenoid block up out of the muck into the engine bay etc.

If your thinking of competing then it is too slow, but would then make an ideal rear winch!

quite a few guys run them as mid winches on my series events and there are now a few turning up the Driving days and the daily challenge events, no complaints from any of them that i have come across.

A very good choice and a fantastic deal for the money- if I was buying an electric winch this is where my money would be going (Hmmm- maybe time for a rear winch then??!!)- I have witnessed first hand them used long and hard in anger without any hiccups. They seem well made and although not the quickest don't slow much under heavy loads.

I would contact David direct to discuss the best option for your application in relation to bridge/ lowline- He is a top man and offers excellent customer service (although you may be on the phone for sometime once you get him talking about winches!!!)

(no connection- just another impressed customer)

The TDS bridged version has the same tie bars as the non bridges, they are just hidden by the bridge.

Geoff Bimsons TDS's are as JST says not a Goldfish, they have a number of differences including the all important water proofing.

I can confirm that the freespool is superb - better than anyelectric low line winch on the market

I have used an ep9 and TBH I was not that impressed. It is slower than the TDS and the freespool was very stiff. So stiff that it took a few people to pull it out. The actual winch only lasted a few months before the motor died, and after being dunked only a few times as well. I (personally) would stick with the TDS goldfish

The TDS bridged version has the same tie bars as the non bridges, they are just hidden by the bridge.

Geoff Bimsons TDS's are as JST says not a Goldfish, they have a number of differences including the all important water proofing.

I can confirm that the freespool is superb - better than anyelectric low line winch on the market

Geoff tells me his winches have the upgraded seals,

I agree about the tie bars being under the bridge.

What is the freespool on a TDS like then?

Personally I like the pull to release action on the EP9. I haven't dunked it yet (I'm not a fan of deep wading) but the action is nice, particuarly as its hidden behing the grill so you can get on it to twist with a lot of force, but having rotated it forwards its easy to give it a good pull if it does get tight.

What is the freespool on a TDS like then?

Personally I like the pull to release action on the EP9. I haven't dunked it yet (I'm not a fan of deep wading) but the action is nice, particuarly as its hidden behing the grill so you can get on it to twist with a lot of force, but having rotated it forwards its easy to give it a good pull if it does get tight.

the action is pretty much the same 'cam' type action as the EP9 just with a different shaped handle. It's the fact that once the freespool is engaged the drum moves a hell of lot more easily than the EP series, making freespooling no effort.

Another vote for TDS here, especially as they are typically 60-70 pounds less than an EP9/9.5 too.

Cheers

Steve

I've got TDS's on my challenge truck and can say they are very good, the quickest low profile winch available i believe, and the free spool is lovely. I've run one of them underwater and still works fine. Better than the EP9 i use on my other landy, quicker and much better freespool.

Hey,

I am considering buying anew winch. It will be used but not in serious competition.

Is the above a good option.

I am not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of bridge over traditional- any opinions?

Thanks

Pete

Got one as a centre winch on the Bathtub works fine so far!!

Hope i never need to see how waterproof it is :huh: Its about 5ft in the air & in the centre of the truck :rolleyes:

Seems like a snail compared to the other 2 winches but a hell of a lot cheaper ;)

I have one on the front of the Toy Rover. Excellent winch and David is very helpfull and knowledgable. I've yet to stall mine out under load, which I used to do reasonably often with my previously with my old 12,000lb winch! Also the sam speed mods apply to the TDs as Warn etc. in terms of fitting higher hp motors etc.