Red or Blue?

simonr

Si,

When I did mine I went throught three different thermoswitches until I got one that cut in and out at the right time - despite having loads of advice as to what the "right" temperatures should be.

With the "right" switch in place the fans were cutting in too early - the temp gauge had barely reached the "normal" position when running a viscous fan.

It would appear that under bonnet temperatures have a marked effect on the thermoswitch.

Perhaps for a typical TDi 90 you might get away with one switch, but I am fairly confident that all the fueling tweeks and boost tweeks that people make will affect it.

When you start talking about V8 conversions then it will all go out the window too.

My switch (on a 3.9EFi RR un modified) is quite a bit hotter than you would predict for normal operation, but I never get the temp gauge above 1/2 way (unless a fuse blows eh Mark! :ph34r::lol::lol: )

Just my 2p..... and don't listen to those "blue" boys....!! :ph34r:

Blue seems to be the winner then!

I'll order more blue than red. I thought similar until I saw the red. I reckon that mail order, blue would win but at shows probably about level pegging.

I in the past have had the kenlow type (it's very like a thermostat from a tea urn!) which must have lasted several weeks before the mud & corrosion got it. I had a variable one like the ones demon tweaks sell which lasted a bit longer but suffered from water ingress and the fan switching became a bit random and then settled on one similar to these with a nut welded to a bit of tube which lasted years!

The switch I have ordered is: 88 on, 83 off for the low temp fan and 92 on 87 off for the high temp.

If you are running a single fan, then it gives two chances of one being right! On my Tdi I ran a single 92 on 87 off switch which seemed to work OK. A V8 required a fair bit more cooling and the engine generally runs hotter so using a pair of fans with these switch points seemed reasonable.

You can always find loads of these switches at breakers yards (mostly single temp though) in a wealth of different temperatures. However, I can order any of the temperature ranges as required and supply in place of the above.

I wondered also, if one is running a single fan, about using the high temp switch on the road (more ram effect cooling) and he low temp one off road with a switch in the cab to select between them.

As with all things, there are 100's of ways to skin a cat - but the machined bit is a nice easy (and good looking) solution to the most difficult bit (unless you can turn & weld).

Si

Ooo nice, I'll have a red one to match the 90's paint work B)

Let me know when they are on sale. I take it they are the 22mm thread intermotor sensors?

IIRC Demon Tweeks where selling plastic ones for around £15-20, not sure of the prices of the alloy ones but they didn't do them with 22mm thread when I looked.

Just got something similar from allisport:

allisportthermo.jpg

Specifications

Instant response, temperature control range of 70 to 120 degrees C.

Includes a wired in relay and harness

Aluminium Housing fits in a radiator hose with jubilee clips

Aluminium Housing to suit hose size 1.5" or 38mm (suits most Land Rover's)

Complete with fitting kit

Complete with full instructions

Yet to fit it..

These have just come back as samples from being anodised. Just wondered what your preference is on red or blue - or another colour. Or are they just too bling for under the bonnet of a Landy?

X-Bling.jpg

In case you've not guessed, they are Billet CNC Machined, anodised fan thermostat adaptors to go in-line with a rad hose. I think they look rather good! Might even fit eleccy fans now! They need to be anodised to stop them going furry - so they might as well look pretty.

Si

Simon, who did the machining?

Blue is cooooooooooooooooool

If you are looking for an electric fan controller, these are the cat's pajamas.... Full variable speed control, 35 Amps continuous rated, override switch for 50% speed operation.

Other options and pricing here.

Whats the benefit of one of these? does it matter what speed the fan runs at? isn't on and off ok?

these things always turn out to be more coplicated than they first seem!

Quieter, easier on the electrics (alternator, fan motor and such). Fully waterproofed and outdoor rated. Allows you to run a big high output fan without any fuss.

The "normal" route is a thermostatic switch and large enough relays. Most relays are not waterproof and thus you need to run heavy wires into a dry area.

they sell on some auction sites for little money

look here

Not a million miles different from mine!

I had one of the ones pictured above - but it suffered from water ingress rather and stopped working after six months with the fan running continuously.

Si