Advice needed

pugwash

Getting to the stage that the range rover is more of a liability than a benefit- i just don't have the time to fix it myself, or the money to get someone else to fix it.

So i have come to the decision to get rid of it. I reckon i will get more for the engine if it's out of the car, it being a bit special, and only 3000 miles old (think a fair price would be £850 or so), but i'm tring to work out what the rest of the car is worth.

I have been offered £700 for the rest of the vehicle by a breaker, and i want to know if i could reasonably expect to get more for the parts. The major parts i have are:

Rear ali upper tailgate (8 monhts old)

Good condition lower tailgate

Lpg system with twin underslung tanks (72l) and i one in the boot (65l)

Excellent head lining

ECU and associated parts

5 VGC and low mileage 225/75 ATs

Good condition cream (non leather, non memory) electric seats

G/box and T/box

Body work? (although not the back end as it's a Wombat !)

what other stuff is worth anything, and will i recoup more than £700, quickly, from those bits above?

any advice gratefully received,

thanks

Jim

Les :(

Jim,

Unfortunately, classsic rangies are worth next to nothing.

If you're dead set on selling then try a classified add first - with the engine in obviously and harp on about how sooper the engine is. You might get up to £2k if you're lucky.

If you take the engine out then £700 to take the rest away is a fair price. RR bodywork is cheap as chips - I bought a roof, boot floor (ali) and two rear wings for £50.

The only other bits worth anything are the axles, gearboxes and tailgates. The LPG system would fetch some cash too. Might be worth offering that separately.

I'm sure Digger90 will be along shortly to price up the bits for you.... :huh:

Getting to the stage that the range rover is more of a liability than a benefit- i just don't have the time to fix it myself, or the money to get someone else to fix it.

So i have come to the decision to get rid of it. I reckon i will get more for the engine if it's out of the car, it being a bit special, and only 3000 miles old (think a fair price would be £850 or so), but i'm tring to work out what the rest of the car is worth.

I have been offered £700 for the rest of the vehicle by a breaker, and i want to know if i could reasonably expect to get more for the parts. The major parts i have are:

Rear ali upper tailgate (8 monhts old)

Good condition lower tailgate

Lpg system with twin underslung tanks (72l) and i one in the boot (65l)

Excellent head lining

ECU and associated parts

5 VGC and low mileage 225/75 ATs

Good condition cream (non leather, non memory) electric seats

G/box and T/box

Body work? (although not the back end as it's a Wombat !)

what other stuff is worth anything, and will i recoup more than £700, quickly, from those bits above?

any advice gratefully received,

thanks

Jim

Les :(

Paul Wightman might be interested in the engine when he comes along. Might be good for Black Pig II

Hey Guys, thanks for replies.

Spec of engine:

Basically a remanufactured engine

Built by Steve Lund, and overseen by me and Fruity

it's a seasoned cross bolt Block

Top-Hat re-linered (so willl never crack, slip or go "porous")

Comp ratio increased (skim of head and block- runs standard pistons) to 10.4:1 for Optimax and lpg- although runs fine on normal unleaded

Line bore in the block

New lifters

4.0 (not 3.9) rotating assembly balanced to 0.5g

fitted with LE1 cam- a lovely cam with buckets of toque low down and then a huge boost at 3krpm when it comes "on" properly

3500 miles old, and very very carefully broken in by me- has had 2 oil changes so far- one at 800miles and one at 3250

Oil filter has filtermag on it, and only used top quality ovoline oils (difflock silvex to be precise) and genuine parts rover oil filters

Just started to run on LPG so no bore de-glazing

fitted with NGK sparks

8mm leads

Very very smooth engine- will happily rev to 6000, although i have only taken it that high once or twice just to find out (and only after run in)

Despite some very early problems with this engine, i have now come to love it. under 3000 rpm it just has buckets of torque, and above that it really comes on cam, and flies- so much so it gives me the ****s in a rangie. God knows what it would be like in a lightweight vehicle like a westfield!

Lpg system was only fitted 10 months ago, underslung tanks will have one or two knocks, but nothing serious. New vaporiser when fitted, it's a old style "carb" system, with a mixer just before the inlet, so should transfer to carb engine no probs. Worked extremely well with old engine, but had a few backfires with new engine- don't think it could deliver enough lpg above 2800 rpm when vehicle came on cam.

if you guys are interested in some of the bits- could you be interested in the rest-

Ali upper tailgate (new 8 months ago)

VGC lower tailgate

Piccies:

Exmoor day out

I'm the silver/gold pretty much standard rangie in JST's piccies.

If anyone is seriously interested in any bits you are more than welcome to come and have a look, would need some notice though!

whats actually wrong with it Jim. Might be interested in it as a whole

You?

you realise it's not a camel don't you lol

Anyway- mechanically- Not very much at all, yo know it did 7sisters no probs. John and I did new pads and discs all round 8 months ago, Matt Neale and i replaced the steering box with an Adwest one 2 months ago. It's had new track rods, a new ali rear screen, has 4 vgc Wrangler ATRs (and a brand new trac edge spare), replaced the interior seats with leccy ones at front (non leather). Last MOT it went through without a single problem. Engine is sweet, G/box and T/box are sweet. Car has done 94k miles from new with paperwork to prove. Engine has now stopped using oil and water- they just sit at the same level.

now what's wrong with it. Nothing major- just niggly things that will take me too long to fix:

Cosmetically- matching rear dents on both sides of car now (thanks to 7S and some devon greenlanes)

Both Sidesteps looking very dented and battered

Exhaust- Needs new y-pipe as i holed the one i have and it makes a fun noise now

Lpg- can't quite get the lpg setup properly at the moment- think the ignition on the engine is performing badly- reckon it is down to plugs with wrong gaps, and might need new dizzy cap and arm (there is the potential that it's the dizzy itself, but once warm the car runs really really smooth). Timing is probably out as wel- would have expected a bit of chain stretch by now! But this is making the lpg run badly. Also one of the underslung tanks seems to vent a bit of gas about once a month, no idea why, it's just always been that way. Currently getting about 340 miles between fill ups

Electrics- Drivers side mirror needs replaceing. Passenger seat won't go backwards- dodgy switch and motor maybe. Drivers side works great. One touch leccy window is "tempremental". Just need a new one touch box.

Interior- have destroyed the housing round the steering column- i nudged it with my knee and it blew up!

Rust- inside wing above tyre on right hand side has a small patch, sills not too bad. Windscreen surround needs looking ASAP to stop it getting dodgy. Rear end not too bad. Chassis still very sound.

You know you can come and have a look at it whenever you want- would be nice to see you and perhaps we coukd tie it in with a trip round the Hankeys place?

how's life generally? work still annoying you?

• 2 weeks later...