Forum green lane trip - 21st-23rd November

GBMUD

She says she's definitely coming now! :blink:

See..... She knows she is safe with me and Les around... :)

(Or is it she knows there will always be a spare seat in my truck should you fall out and argue all weekend !!!)

Les.... You may want to crack open a new bottle of old Spice, or maybe lash out on some Brut!

Chris, I'm sure Les and I could lead a group to a pub for lunch etc. if needed... We will have maps and Lappy etc.

Neil

Excellent - sounds like we have a good number of participants. What do we (collectively) want to do for food each night? I guess the options are:

• book & eat individually
  • make a group restaurant booking (or two or three smaller groups)
  • invade a country pub restaurant with a group booking
  • I'm eating at the hotel
  • Takeaway's my favourite food anyway
  • I don't like you all and I'm making my own arrangements

I'm conscious that not everyone likes the same food, so we could make bookings at a chinese, indian and italian place for the right number of people each, or invade a pub so there's a wider menu for everyone. My bro used to work in a pub 3 miles from Ashbourne, and they'd take us all (with a discount?) if we could find enough drivers.

Due to work I won't be oop north until late on Friday, I don't know how many will be in the same boat so we may want a meal plan for Saturday night and a lower-key gathering in a town centre pub in Friday night?

Margaret in secretary mode

Mike & I have booked into the hotel for dinner on the Saturday night - how many others have done likewise?

I see 2 options for us & others in a similar position :

1. Eat reasonably early at the hotel then meet up with the big group at a local hostelry for chat & a drink.

2. Cancel the dinner booking and see what we find elsewhere.

Comments please

Margaret

Guys, when I booked our hotel room, I asked what the others who had booked were doing, as there are different rates ( Bed & breakfast or Dinner, Bed & Breakfast) and she told me most who had booked so far had gone for the DBB rate as its only £47, and works out cheaper than accomodation & then paying a seperate pub meal bill.

I really think we should do something as a group. If those not staying at our hotel are not too far away, would they be prepared to come to us for dinner at the hotel??

As were not all staying at the same place it stops some people getting falling down drunk a drink of Sherry because of driving home, but this would always be the case with seperate accomodation arrangements.

Either way, I dont mind, but I really really really really think that it would be great to sit down as a group.

Oh yeah, and I will also only be arriving late (ish) Friday evening, as I will be at work during the day.

Martin

Guys, when I booked our hotel room, I asked what the others who had booked were doing, as there are different rates ( Bed & breakfast or Dinner, Bed & Breakfast) and she told me most who had booked so far had gone for the DBB rate as its only £47, and works out cheaper than accomodation & then paying a seperate pub meal bill.

I really think we should do something as a group. If those not staying at our hotel are not too far away, would they be prepared to come to us for dinner at the hotel??

As were not all staying at the same place it stops some people getting falling down drunk a drink of Sherry because of driving home, but this would always be the case with seperate accomodation arrangements.

Either way, I dont mind, but I really really really really think that it would be great to sit down as a group.

Oh yeah, and I will also only be arriving late (ish) Friday evening, as I will be at work during the day.

Martin

Martin

They would say that, to fill their restaurant!

I have deliberately chosen not to have dinner in the hotel at this point.

I don't know what the quality of the food will be, you can't view a sample menu to get a clue. The dinner cost is £13, enough for a decent main course in a pub.

I may prefer to have an Indian, Chinese, Thai, Pizza or fish & chips and did not want to loose the flexibility of choice.

I can always book the hotel restaurant much nearer the time.

For those travelling on Friday especially after work, there may be time pressure to make the hotel restaurant before it closes.

If people do decide to congregate for a meal, Saturday night is probably the best choice.

Whilst I am sure the "group" will wish to meet up for social mingling, I would have thought a pub or bar is the best option. Those that have to drive have to make their own decisions about alcohol. I am sure there will be taxis locally and I know a few of us will be in their vehicles and not drinking.

We could use the hotel as a rendezvous point in the mornings where many will be having breakfast which I am sure the hotel could be persuaded to provide for the campers etc. at a reasonable rate. There is no local supermarket with a restaurant for breakfast, which would otherwise have been a good meeting place in the mornings.

The aim is to be as 'unorganised' as possible with people making free choices over the weekend without anyone being obliged to be anywhere.

The only plan will be to limit the number of vehicles in a 'group' and to have someone with some green laning experience as the first vehicle in a group, starting at a specified time in a location other than alternative groups, in order to minimize our presence.

John

Either way, I dont mind, but I really really really really think that it would be great to sit down as a group

Yep, it usually is and this pretty-much always happens. Lake district we had a large section of a local restaurant, Llannerchinnda (sp), the same. It's always a good opportunity to inform others of someone's embarrassing mistakes (getting stuck, running someone over, accidentally annoying a local, etc) :lol:

Les :)

There is no signing up to do Cat J, ring the hotel, book the room of your choice and turn up on the day/s. :)

Chris

I've been told that I'm booked for this weekend :( Looks like I'll be missing this which is a shame as it would be my first green lane with the forum.

I haven't made any dinner plans at the hotel and consider myself free and easy ... well maybe not free but cheap ;)

Mo

Ditto here,, only B & B booked,,

Looking forward to this one,,Both the lanes,, and a general chat on various things :o

Walfy,, Victor can not make it,, so your welcome to the lh seat in the 110 :o

I have had authority from up on high. The long haired general has said yes.

See you all there for fun and games.

So Jo's let you out on your own then,, care in the community, and all that :P

Shame you can not make it Steve,, been a while,, Wales if i remember right,, would have joined you at 7S, but same date as the First Drive Round, and as JST's re chassis may take a tad longer that he thinks