axle breathers

g90

By the time you have messed about with all the loose fittings and paid all the P&P's from all over the place you could have bought one of my lovely kits that does the axles, gearboxes and timing case all in one lovely kit..... there is a pic of one on my website.....

David :P

Have you no shame when it comes to spamming your stuff David?

Give FAC, fluid air componants a call. They've got an office in the Medway towns in Kent. I've used them for the breathers for both the 90's that I've owned They will post you the pipe, and swivel connectors to go into the axle case and g/box and t/box for a lot less than other sets that are avail, either here or on e-bay. You work out what you want and they then send it to you.

Have you no shame when it comes to spamming your stuff David?

In this case no.

The post was on topic, mid topic and inkeeping with previous posts and informative.

Had this post come from a third party if would have been welcome and described as a 'useful link'.

That third party could so easily have been me under a pseudonym from a second pooter or a friendle 'stooge' doing my dirty work - that would have been underhand - I chose the honest route.

In another post of yesterday I did see that maybe it was a bit dodgy and made an apology there and then - I excused it as the best way to reach a number of forum members in one go.

I see that post has been moved and tagged onto another post - perhaps the right place for it.

I hear your concerns and agree that we do not want a trade advert forum but when the post is on topic, mid topic and useful then I think you are wrong to call it spam.

Each time this subject raises irs head I wonder whether we are computer geeks who happen to own Land Rovers or Land Rover fans who happen to own a computer. If we breach computer protocol then as long as it is in the name of Land Rovering I feel it is not a real issue.

David

Guys, I feel moved to support David on this one. I feel the suggestion was appropriate given the circumstances and no different, in essence, than plugs made by other contributing members who also have businesses in the Land Rover field. However, David would benefit from wording his posts a little more subtley.

Just my tuppenceworth

Mo

ignore my reply above, i had the wrong window open and thought i was replying to another thread :o:unsure:

By the time you have messed about with all the loose fittings and paid all the P&P's from all over the place you could have bought one of my lovely kits that does the axles, gearboxes and timing case all in one lovely kit..... there is a pic of one on my website.....

David,

Just out of interest why don't you have a breather going to your bellhousing ?

G

ignore my reply above, i had the wrong window open and thought i was replying to another thread :o:unsure:

David,

G

Very cheap and simple to add though drilling / tapping the bellhousing is the easiest way to do it and not everyone wants to / can do that.

As long as the water is clean ( ish ) and the engine keeps running then centrifugal force tends to keep the clutch clean...

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i have recently bought a v8 90. I am reading through this thread about extending tubes. does anyone have pictures of where these pipes are i have never noticed them on the vehicle.

Cheers

Matt.

Would this kit be ok for my v8 90?

David,

G

How are bellhousing breathers arranged? That is, if there's a drain hole, why is a breather needed? Is the drain plugged and then a breather fitted somewhere higher up? Someone please educate me! :)

How are bellhousing breathers arranged? That is, if there's a drain hole, why is a breather needed? Is the drain plugged and then a breather fitted somewhere higher up? Someone please educate me! :)

My bellhousing breather is drilled & tapped into the top of the bellhousing, with the standard drain in the bottom. I found that, even with the thing sealed, when you hit water you have a big expanse of hot air in an aluminium void which suddenly gets very cold and will try to suck air or water in thoguh any available means. Fitting a breather has stopped that.

No offence to David but that kit seems less than great for the sake of using cheapo plastic connectors. I stick to the metal (I think they're stainless) ones as they are more resilient and only pennies more.

My bellhousing breather is drilled & tapped into the top of the bellhousing, with the standard drain in the bottom. I found that, even with the thing sealed, when you hit water you have a big expanse of hot air in an aluminium void which suddenly gets very cold and will try to suck air or water in thoguh any available means. Fitting a breather has stopped that.

That is an excellent explanation - many thanks! I'm (mentally) reaching for the drill & tap as I type this! :)

sorry but I whanted to ask: the breathers have the role to take out all gases wich are in the axle(because there is a copression of air when the axle parts are hot)and not to let the water come in to the axle.

Is it so?

Your English is better than some English people manage on forums :lol:

Yes, the breather allows hot air & gas to escape from the axle as it runs, and if you hit cold water it allows the axle (or engine, or gearbox, or bellhousing) to suck air in rather than sucking water in past the seals.

Your English is better than some English people manage on forums :lol:

Yes, the breather allows hot air & gas to escape from the axle as it runs, and if you hit cold water it allows the axle (or engine, or gearbox, or bellhousing) to suck air in rather than sucking water in past the seals.

And there is no mecanical pump-the gas goes alone to the end of the tube?

And there is no mecanical pump-the gas goes alone to the end of the tube?

Yes - it is simply to allow the air pressure in the axle to be equal to the air outside when the axle gets hot or cold. If the breather is blocked, when the axle gets hot it will force oil out through the weakest oil seal, and if it goes in cold water it will suck water in through the seal. With the breather, it is easier to flow air through the breather than through the seals so everything stays OK.

Yes - it is simply to allow the air pressure in the axle to be equal to the air outside when the axle gets hot or cold. If the breather is blocked, when the axle gets hot it will force oil out through the weakest oil seal, and if it goes in cold water it will suck water in through the seal. With the breather, it is easier to flow air through the breather than through the seals so everything stays OK.

Thanks for the explanation.

I bought my car without breathers on axles,and now I have to invent something such as the original pipes...any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just revive this so that I can get a clear idea of what I need to buy to make up my kit.....

A full kit would comprise of front and rear axle, transfer box, fuel tank, (manual) gearbox bell housing, timing cover.

Mine is a TD5 so the axles and transfer box already have the required to push fit the 6mm tube.

I'm told the timing cover doesn't have a breather on the TD5?

The gearbox often has a wading plug fitted - what size is this? so that I might source a fitting for it that I can run more 6mm pipe from.

I've no info on the fuel tank fittings?

Can anyone confirm the above for me?

I have just got the bits off that ebay chap to do mine

Firstly there is no standard breather on the crankcase or bell housing so you pop in a 1/4 bsp push fitting in them instead of wading plugs so you need 2 of those, the axles and the gearbox and transferbox all use 1/8 bsp fittings so you need 4 of those (you already have axle ones so you only need 2).

I have elected to use 5 T pieces to connect them all together and have a 1/4 bsp stud fitting to connect to my air intake