4 point harness in a truck cab as per HW09 regs

Steve 90

I was told by the scrutineers at the last HW round we did that if you chose to use harnesses they must be 4 point for 09. I don't like Lap and diag' in heavy multiple roll situations so would prefer to keep harnesses. The issue being in a truck cab the outer shoulder strap on either side wants to go out through the corner glass! So anyone come up with any clever solutions? I'm thinking of running a bar behind the seat to put the strap over then secure the end to the bulkhead lower down behind the seat. Not ideal, but best of a bad situation as far as I can see.

So any idea's? There's a whole heap of us going to be in the same situation so there must be some thoughts on the matter.

Cheers.

Steve.

Almost (thats the same as I have now) but there will have to be a bar for the straps to go over much higher as the hernesses need to be between horizontal and 45deg where it leaves the back of the seat. You are not allowed to rely on the seat back.

put a bar accross your roll cage then put your harness to that at the requierd hight and replace the glass with polycarb with a alit in. You should be able to get the crossover to be about level with the window.

• 1 month later...
put a bar accross your roll cage then put your harness to that at the requierd hight and replace the glass with polycarb with a alit in. You should be able to get the crossover to be about level with the window.

Trouble is the outer strap either side is right in the wrong place. The inner will go through the window but the outer would need to go through the point where the tin work meets the glass for the little curved side window. Will have a look tomorrow if theres any way round it.

Anybody with any other ideas???????

I'm thinking of running a bar behind the seat to put the strap over then secure the end to the bulkhead lower down behind the seat. Not ideal, but best of a bad situation as far as I can see.

Nothing wrong with that solution, as long as the bar itself and bar and strap mounts are up to the job. Many comp safari cars use this method, especially if rear engined.

Steve,, we run the belts from a bar off the gage in the Fiesta,, don't need to be at the full 90 deg and these pass FIA regs

100_3207.jpg

These are at approx 55deg

The rangie also has a internal cage, so was easy for Nick to put a bar across, right behind the seats at the correct height