Ok first post.. Garrett VGT Turbo (2256V) on my 300Tdi

Hello!

Right the time has come from me to carry out a few tasty engine modifications on my 300Tdi 90. I have been in contact with one of the forum members (Lara..you know the 2.8Td5 chap) who has been very helpful. I want to fit a Garrett VGT turbo on my engine; now after researching this it would appear that I have three options to mount it: 1) on the 2.8 HS TGV manifold if I can get one (I see its been done by someone on the forum) 2) Make my own tubular manifold (not upto it though really as I don’t think mild steel would take the heat for long produced by the turbo!?) 3) By the looks of things a certain well known company that supplies a VGT Turbo kit (very expensive) have used a Disco 200Tdi manifold...this will fit a 300tdi head yer?

Ok, so lets presume that the manifold is sorted....as to the turbo Lara has recommended a Garrett GT2256V (this is also used the 2.8 HS TGV engine my research has shown) I just didn’t really like the way the turbo is kind of crammed into place on the 2.8 HS TGV and that’s why I am not that keen on using that manifold....if I go down the 200tdi disco route that would place the turbo nicely but the turbo would need to have a 4 bolt exhaust flange on it...does anyone know of any versions of the GT2256V that have a 4 bolt fixing exhaust flange (I am talking about where the turbo bolts onto the engine exhaust and not the exhaust, exhaust if you get me!) I have found one...its fitted to a IVECO DAILY 3 TURBOCHARGER 2.8 Diesel 135 140 BHP turbo and has a 4 bolt manifold that I am after...question is will it fit a 200tdi Disco exhaust....LOL. Any views on making an adaptor plate? There seem to be quite a lot of GT2256V’s with the three bolt exhaust mount (again used on the 2.8 HS TGV engine).

Any ideas, suggestions would be great...I am looking to carry this project right through and will be doing regular up-dates with progress, pictures etc....

Regards

Rob

Not the definitive answer, but I think that some of the four stud turbos are standardised. A mate has put this Iveco turbo on a VM diesel and he hasn't mentioned anything about an adapter.

Got me thinking... He is now fed up with the taxation of diesel vehicles here and is going to fit a V8. Double the CO2 and you get lower vehicle tax... :huh: Maybe his turbo can get a new life on my 200Tdi? B)

Not the definitive answer, but I think that some of the four stud turbos are standardised. A mate has put this Iveco turbo on a VM diesel and he hasn't mentioned anything about an adapter.

Got me thinking... He is now fed up with the taxation of diesel vehicles here and is going to fit a V8. Double the CO2 and you get lower vehicle tax... :huh: Maybe his turbo can get a new life on my 200Tdi? B)

Lars does the turbo look anything like this.... it has the four bolt plate that I am looking for but is a tad pricey!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=170269844336

Cheers Rob

Can't say, Rob. Mate's too far away. But it is for a newish Iveco since he works for a truck repair where the Ivecos are serviced. And for some obscure reason, the TCs were changed as a service measure without anything wrong with the old ones. And they where just thrown in the bin...

Can't say, Rob. Mate's too far away. But it is for a newish Iveco since he works for a truck repair where the Ivecos are serviced. And for some obscure reason, the TCs were changed as a service measure without anything wrong with the old ones. And they where just thrown in the bin...

Well then...is there a chance that I could some how get hold of one of these binned turbos??

Cheers

Rob

had a thought on this, i reckon you might well need to find a way of controlling the vanes on small throttle openings. In traffic the last thing you want is a fair chunk of boost and find yourself whizzing along in first gear using a fair bit of fuel to boot. Maybe a throttle potentiometer to measure throttle openings and perhaps control the nozzles? It's when you open the loud pedal you want more boost than you would get with a normal 300tdi, but some situations like parking don't need more boost than standard?

Just a thought.

had a thought on this, i reckon you might well need to find a way of controlling the vanes on small throttle openings. In traffic the last thing you want is a fair chunk of boost and find yourself whizzing along in first gear using a fair bit of fuel to boot. Maybe a throttle potentiometer to measure throttle openings and perhaps control the nozzles? It's when you open the loud pedal you want more boost than you would get with a normal 300tdi, but some situations like parking don't need more boost than standard?

Just a thought.

You won't get a "fair chunk of boost" on low throttle openings, just a bit more with a VVT than you would with a normal turbo. It's still going to be very gradual, not going to be a whole heap of boost on and off, so I can't see it being a problem.

People running normally aspirated performance cars with loads of power can still manoeuvre at slow speeds (unless they have silly sports on-off clutches that is).

The major advantage of VVT is that you get the best of all worlds in one turbo unit. Small turbos spool fast at low revs, but run out of puff at high revs, big turbos are the opposite, nothing low down, and plenty of grunt at the top end. A VVT turbo is both :)

You won't get a "fair chunk of boost" on low throttle openings, just a bit more with a VVT than you would with a normal turbo. It's still going to be very gradual, not going to be a whole heap of boost on and off, so I can't see it being a problem.

People running normally aspirated performance cars with loads of power can still manoeuvre at slow speeds (unless they have silly sports on-off clutches that is).

The major advantage of VVT is that you get the best of all worlds in one turbo unit. Small turbos spool fast at low revs, but run out of puff at high revs, big turbos are the opposite, nothing low down, and plenty of grunt at the top end. A VVT turbo is both :)

Any ideas where I can source this turbo i need? Its the one I have mentioned early on fitted to an Iveco Turbo Daily.

Regards

Rob

• 8 years later...
8 hours ago, dailysleaze said:

Rob mentioned in another thread that he got an "IRB Developments Variable Vane turbos"

Oh. That's a shame. He seemed fairly unimpressed with the end result on that thread, plus it would mean attempting contact with the one of the most uncommunicative companies in the land rover world! Even their website says they'll be back in 2016.........

51 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

It's not just me then I sent them a message asking for information on their turbos for a 200 tdi and I'm still waiting for a response.

When they initially announced the turbo on here there were a flurry of questions. Nearly all unanswered and that was at least five years ago! That's one reason why myself and a few others are looking for alternative options.....

I think Bell Auto Services sell the turbo you have enquired about - Pete is generally good at replying IME, so drop him a line. The gains are low-mid range as far as I can tell, but I was after something that might also give a little more flexibility at the top end too.

That's why I contacted them because I'd seen them mentioned on here but as every one else no reply , I was after a hybrid turbo but then its the cost and I've now started a new project 90. But I did look at rebuilding my existing turbo with this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Billet-Hybrid-Turbo-CHRA-465171-465175-Land-Rover-Defender-Discovery-200TDi-/391547266881?hash=item5b2a092741:g:7LsAAOSw-kdXxruN

its got an uprated oil seal and bearing and a gtx compressor wheel which is lighter and got more blades so it spools up faster and moves more air so it says .

1 hour ago, dailysleaze said:

I've seen that one but I think I'd only buy if they could produce some comparison graphs (don't know if they can or not)

I kinda agree but then I haven't seem any actual evidence for the offerings from Bell, IRB, Allard etc either.