TD4, smoke from pipe under bumper!!!!!

andy d

My wife has been complaining of a vacuum cleaner type noise coming from the car when driving and that it stays on for sometimes as much as a few minutes after switching off.

I checked it today and her description is perfect, sounds like an upright vacuum cleaner even with the engine off, I checked under the front of the car and found what seems to be the source.

There is a small exhaust type pipe under the bumper at the passenger side of the car, when the engine is running this blows hot air/fumes, when the engine is switched off it continues to do so for a few minutes and the vacuum type noise continues.

When I started the car from cold this morning I ran the engine for a few minutes on idle, then switched the engine off, I checked the pipe again and it was blowing out what appeared to be exhaust gases.

Quite worried about this as it too close to xmas for an expensive repair.

Anyone able to offer any help on what it might be and what I might be able to do myself to rectify it.

Thanks in advance.

HI

Nothing to worry about - i guess the temperature has dropped recently? This is the fuel burning heater which is located under the front passenger wing with a small exhaust pipe projecting through to beneath the bumper.

The heater is fully automatic and should swith on when the air temp drops to 5C or something similar - it is there to warm up the interior heater quickly on cold mornings and also assists the engine in heating up quickly.

The colder the morning the more exhaust you see as it will burn off any damp on its components and then you always see more exhaust on cold frosty mornings.

One tip would be is if you park it in a garage at home to make sure you have plenty ventilation as, as you say, it continues to run after the engine is switched off.

No big bills now - what can i have for xmas???!!

HI

Nothing to worry about - i guess the temperature has dropped recently? This is the fuel burning heater which is located under the front passenger wing with a small exhaust pipe projecting through to beneath the bumper.

The heater is fully automatic and should swith on when the air temp drops to 5C or something similar - it is there to warm up the interior heater quickly on cold mornings and also assists the engine in heating up quickly.

The colder the morning the more exhaust you see as it will burn off any damp on its components and then you always see more exhaust on cold frosty mornings.

One tip would be is if you park it in a garage at home to make sure you have plenty ventilation as, as you say, it continues to run after the engine is switched off.

No big bills now - what can i have for xmas???!!

Thanks Mark, you're an absolute Godsend mate, she was going to have me chopping it in for a Seat Altea...lol

I'll add you to the xmas list...lol

• 8 years later...

HI Andy , I have had my freelancer TD4 for six years . Though I am not Russian , I live here . When the temperature drops i have an electronic key which I switch on for 30 mins .

After 30 mins I start the car , White smelly smoke starts to come out from under the passenger bumper area . It come out through he bonnet . . Landcover told me that this is normal , And yet I have never seen this during the last six years . I give you another example . I start the car . I run for some 1 mile . I stop . I start again and smoke starts to evaporate right in front of my windscreen .Diesel  smell enters the interior of the car . Its very scary . Adding that I was approached by people who live in my block warning me in case of a fire .

Can you help me .