41 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Warn XD9000i
    • Warn 9.5ti
    • Superwinch EPi9
    • TDS 9.5i Goldfish
    • Come up DV9000i

Hey,

I'm in the middle of trying to chose a winch for my 90.

I know this may well have been done to death adn sI'm going t put up a poll- if i've missed any good choices please tell me.

I am aware they vary in cost, so please don't all just chose the most expensive one merit/cost combined please!

It's not a serious competion vehicle but mainly pay and play and punch events etc but not the crazy 12 locker and 7 winch ones!! :P

Thanks

Pete

Well your DV and your EP are pretty much the same apart form colour

Your TDS is a 21st century version of the EP and very well priced, also far stronger that the Warns wich in turn are weaker than the EP/DV

The XD9 is one of the two decent winches made by Warn

The 9.5Ti is a good small boat anchor

I am curious about this thread, could some kind sould maybe post up the typical prices for all of the winches being considered in the poll ?

How do these (I guess they are cheaper by far but hence my thoughts) compare with an 8274 ?

I always thing of buying a winch a bit like buying anything else that could be crucial kit, you do not wnat to find out some months after last using it that its decided to not play when you desperately need it ? aAnd I have seen this scenario many many times, also consider the S/H value should you ever decide to upgrade it - some of them have depreciation that would scare a professional stunt man

Nige

I am curious about this thread, could some kind sould maybe post up the typical prices for all of the winches being considered in the poll ?

How do these (I guess they are cheaper by far but hence my thoughts) compare with an 8274 ?

I always thing of buying a winch a bit like buying anything else that could be crucial kit, you do not wnat to find out some months after last using it that its decided to not play when you desperately need it ? aAnd I have seen this scenario many many times, also consider the S/H value should you ever decide to upgrade it - some of them have depreciation that would scare a professional stunt man

Nige

I'm sure you know this already Nige, but I'll bite.

A new 8274 will set you back about £1100 inc VAT in UK. 8000lbs capacity, 4.6hp motor

A new TDS 9.5 will cost about £340 +VAT (or inc VAT at show prices) 9500lbs, 5HP motor, a EP9 and Come-Up are about the same price, an EP9.5 about £50 more

As for depreciation, I recently sold a two year old EP9 for £175. 8274's in reasonable condition about £300-350, good £500+

So for about the price of three TDS's you could buy an 8274 that will have less capacity and slower line pull rate and about the same depreciation rate as a TDS etc.

Sources of spares for both winches is easy, both have about the same weather proofing, TDS is lighter than 8274 and low profile gives more fitting options.

Now if you wanted to compete in winch challenges at the top level you can upgrade an 8274.

So in my opinion, unless you want to compete with a fast winch and have the £'s to upgrade it, the 8274 doesn't make sense at all.

Cheers

Steve

:rofl:

Serioulsy Steve No I wasn't aware of the above prices, as such what you say makes perfect sense,

Some of those are actually F CHEAP, .....

My worry I guess would still be will they work when they have been buried in goo water and muck for months and then called on to work :huh: but price gap does make an 8274 a BIG step £s wise

I was just being pig lazy in not looking any of the prices up :lol:

Ta

Nige

My worry I guess would still be will they work when they have been buried in goo water and muck for months and then called on to work :huh: but price gap does make an 8274 a BIG step £s wise

Ta

Nige

The TDS is called a "Goldfish" for just that occurence, with a little patience, the guide from the TDS website and some RTV Sealant you can sort the winch so it will run under water/mud as long as you need it to. I was planing on doing these very mods when I eventually get mine, as it will probably/possibly be a while before it gets mounted on the truck finally.

Mine will only get light use, maybe the odd use at Hillclimb events and Pay&Play so I just can't justify the 8274's of the market.

Cheers

Matt