X eng halfshaft removal tool

terratology

hi, i've snapped my halfshaft so was going to buy one of these to make the job easier to dont want to buy one until i know if there any good or not. cheers

Why not speak to Simon at XEng and ask him.

He won't sell you something that does not work and he will be able to advise you regarding the ease/difficulty of using his "tool" :P:rolleyes::o

John

hi, i've snapped my halfshaft so was going to buy one of these to make the job easier to dont want to buy one until i know if there any good or not. cheers

They're brilliant, it's saved a lot of time both on my motor and other peoples motors. At one of the club trials someone snapped a rear halfshaft, using the tool we managed to get the halfshaft changed in about 5 mins so he was ready for the next section - he's bought his own x-eng tool since :)

I snapped a front shaft recently and managed to get the piece out using one of those telescopic magnet on a stick tools.. I was amazed how easily the piece came out of the diff then worried I was about to drop it into the diff housing...

Upshot: I'm going to buy the X-Eng kit just because now I know the bit really will come out, I want to be sure I can get it out of the case next time and not just rely on pure luck :P

On the flip side, the last 2 shafts that I have snapped have both got themselves completely wedged in the diff. I ended up knocking 7 bells of s##t out of them to remove them. No magnet would have come close...

I think it all very much depends on the circumstances in which the shaft is broken and whether the vehicle has travelled far with the broken shaft. The first shaft I broke came out very easilly, but the last 2 have been somewhat bigger challenges and the vehicles had been driven a considerable distance between breakage and removal...

The tool will work in some circumstances, but not in others. Simon at X-Eng will probably tell you that himself if you give him a call to discuss...

I was going to buy one when I snapped my front half shaft but Simon had just left his office and was on route to an event for the whole weekend so I ended up removing my diff and doing it that way, which, while harder was a good learning experience (sigh).

Also remember they don't get any of the little bits n' pieces left in your diff. I ended up having to take mine out and washing it and the casing to get all the small bits of metal fragments out.