Shock Tech thread - thoughts please ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

after a lengthy pirate search i found the link to cheap custom application blingsteins again

http://store.topguncustomz.com/storefrontp...amp;i=235827365

not a bad price for a pair. they sell pin to eye converters too, but i cant find them on the page. i think they wre about $25, but to be honest would not be difficult to make yourself. you're adding length with the converters though, so best to keep an eye on the overal length or/and make sure you get the short body versions.

I have the QT weekender kit on the RR and have Lllama's rough country shocks on. (Pin to Pin at rear, eye to eye at front)

I have been very pleased with them, now 2yrs old. The shaft has corroded on the rears however, and I think the seal has now gone on the rear. they were quite cheap and I was going procomp, probably still will to set up but then get some rebuildable ones.

I have been doing a lot of looking for new shocks and the very long ones (14", 16" and 18" travel) are all eye to eye with a spherical bearing in the end. (that I have found YMMV)

The ones that are most often recommended on pirate seem to be the fox shocks.

The links I have found are here. There is a good write up on pirate too.

fox shocks

fox bump stops

radflo

Ballistic fabrication are new to the market with theirs

foa seem to be very good value and they make their own.

As fantasy shock shopping is a hobby of mine at the mo, I thought I would share :ph34r:

If you are considering the OME N73's, then based on my experience you will notice the improved damping. I changed out the Rough Country's for N73's and there was a vast improvement in damping. If the RC's are supposed to be better at damping than the procomps then you should notice benefit.

As for travel, you should not lose any of the procomp's. The pic below shows a Rough Country and OME N73 side by side, and if the RC's have the same travel as the procomp's you won't lose any travel with the N73's.

If you choose to fit the N73's, wouldn't it make more sense to fit a set of Gywn's rear galvanised mounts? At £48 a pair inc, and knowing that trial and error of position etc has already been done, this would seem to be better than modifying your existing mounts.

Steve

100_0377Medium.jpg

I should have added to further answer the question you first posed.

I consider that the front shock is best taken out of the spring and a new tower made.

The patrols and I think landcruisers have the shock behind the spring, to the rear of the car. This means you need stronger damping, but ultimately more travel from the suspension for as the distance travelled at articulation will be shorter.

I can send you pics of my setup which I am sure you can create yourself for very little.

David,

I am answering your sepeartely as I have some specific Qs on it ^^^ above

I thought RR shocks were more for higher speed work - a la comp safari where the oil / contents get worked really hard and thus allows additional cooling (we used to have are old shocks on the racer boil sometimes on hard laps :( ) I am unsure what you do exactly on your LR but I didn't think it was speed eventing ??, so as such I was suprised and intrigued to read a suggestion on RR shocks ?

There is obvioulsy a reason you are pointing towards these that I could be eductid on please - is it something to do with the fact that they are RR shocks, or the added capacity or the fact they are adjustable ?? or a combo, and are all RR shocks adjustable or just some, I have normally steered away from these as they can be frightening expensive, but I wouldn't rule them out now maybe ? - (I used to run a racer on a miniscule budget :lol: )

I am worried obvioulsy at spending bigger money and then finding I have it wrong, so hence the reasearch now, also for everyone, anyone got any neat pics / web links to mountings solutions should I end up eye2eye ?

:blink: do you mean OME as Old Man Emu ? I was loking at N73 shocks last night these are almost as much travel as a +5 Procomp, I will do a search on the other you mentioned.

Keep it coming all :)

Nige

Nige sorry I was writing fast!

OEM is meant to be OME

http://www.4allfours.co.uk/Images/ltrfitsm.jpg

RR means Remote Resevoir not Range Rover

We first used the MX6's on a trialer. It ran some rather special axles and suspension but was nose light on climbs wich meant wheel skip. Dialling down the shocks to thier softest setting meant no skip, especially if we dialled up the rears. We beatsed the same shocks on the Bowler special in place of the Fox units and found them to be very good - again the ability to adjust the damping worked a treat. Having Remote resevoirs alloed for maximum cooling so there was no fade

Just to add, I use the 100" for everything! From long distance off road/overland stuff to the odd trial and a bit of marshalling. I know the un laden axle weights and I also know what I carry in the rear. Due to it's wheel base and larger than 90 overhang I have also weighed it corner to corner. I am very limited to spring types thanks to it being a shortened 110 - if I fit longer 110 springs the rear just doesn't move at all and it looks like a hot rod! I use OE red and reds on both sides at the rear - they are just about perfect but I would prefer progressive springs. On the fornt I have some 'Springs' suplied by Paul 'Poison' Challis but in the good old days of Yeovil 4x4 - I think they are Britpart Blues but again they work just right. I use Disco rubber doofers rings on the front and standard length Pro-compES9000's as I don't want dislocation, on the rear I have +2" ES9000's with Mountain Goat dislocation cones. When I replace thew rear prop I will be asking Mountain Goat for a set of their upper shock mounts and I will replace the rear shocks for a +5

I have the QT weekender kit on the RR and have Lllama's rough country shocks on. (Pin to Pin at rear, eye to eye at front)

I have been very pleased with them, now 2yrs old. The shaft has corroded on the rears however, and I think the seal has now gone on the rear. they were quite cheap and I was going procomp, probably still will to set up but then get some rebuildable ones.

I have been doing a lot of looking for new shocks and the very long ones (14", 16" and 18" travel) are all eye to eye with a spherical bearing in the end. (that I have found YMMV)

The ones that are most often recommended on pirate seem to be the fox shocks.

The links I have found are here. There is a good write up on pirate too.

fox shocks

fox bump stops

radflo

Ballistic fabrication are new to the market with theirs

foa seem to be very good value and they make their own.

As fantasy shock shopping is a hobby of mine at the mo, I thought I would share :ph34r:

You missed a couple of 'off the shelf' shock manufacturers:

Sway-a-Way

King

Bilstein

P.S. I like Fox - easy to get parts for over here, good quality and well priced.

I had considered MX6s as they are not a spendy option for a adjustable shocker, but they have a bush in eaqch end and not the spherical joints / mis-alingment spacers jobbies ?

Can these be bought elsewhere, or other options like the MX6 with the above in there ?

Lots to read and I'm doing a superlong day work :( so will look late tonight :)

Keep the thoughts coming

Nige

I havent seen the mx6 before. I do like the look of them. Are they rebuildable?

I like the fact they are adjustable.

If they are not rebuildable, then I would be tempted by one that is, cos £100 per shock is a lot of money to throw away each time.

PS like most of Nige's posts this one destined for the tech archive.......

Rather than mouting the dampers vertically why not make a braket that will allow you to vary the angle of the dampe. IIRC redibex had done somthing similar on his truck using procomps.Dont know the outcome of the experimant though. What about Qtservices version of rear mounting of dampers? They are mounted inboard of the chassis rails & give good results on the ramps but at what price I dont know. Looks easy enough to make youself.qt hiflex

Qt use Gaz shocks for their applications which are ajustable damping. I enquired with Gaz directly about the same shocks as QT & he was substantially cheaper & can make to whatever your requirements are.About 3-4wks wait on custom orders.

Adrian

IIRC redibex had done somthing similar on his truck using procomps.Dont know the outcome of the experimant though.

It snapped mid event meaning he had no rear shock for the second day :ph34r: Interestingly Red Ibex went over to a fairly standard OME setup after that and did pretty well.

Nige, with the MX6's mount vertically with the bolts going fore / aft through the eyes. That shouldn't give issues with bushes but, if it does, make up a hinged top mount. Job done :i-m_so_happy:

As far as rebuildability goes I never tried pulling apart the ones I had but they looked like they should be with the usual shock tools. The only issue may be getting spares but I can't think it would be a big problem. That said they looked well built so you shouldn't need parts. IMHO the quality seemed comparable to a Fox 2" but with the bonus of adjustment on the fly.

Rather than mouting the dampers vertically why not make a braket that will allow you to vary the angle of the dampe. IIRC redibex had done somthing similar on his truck using procomps.Dont know the outcome of the experimant though. What about Qtservices version of rear mounting of dampers? They are mounted inboard of the chassis rails & give good results on the ramps but at what price I dont know. Looks easy enough to make youself.qt hiflex

Qt use Gaz shocks for their applications which are ajustable damping. I enquired with Gaz directly about the same shocks as QT & he was substantially cheaper & can make to whatever your requirements are.About 3-4wks wait on custom orders.

Adrian

Thanks for this and everything else. I am fairly sure that mounting shocks inboard the chassis will actually reduce damping which is the reverse of what I wnat, plus everytime I see QT stuff I think the welder must have been Stevie Wonder with Hiccups

Keep the thoughts coming, MX6s I still worry re flex as they are a bush :(

Nige

Gon2Far put a crossmember above the rear axle with mounting points for the shocks so you could angle them inward (rather than forward) and vary the degree and hence the damping, but also the relative travel. Just another packaging idea.

Paul Challis proved that a series motor with a winch, parabolics and 32" Simex could stuff most vehicles in a competition :P

As is right and proper, when will people realise that the Series is the way of the future? :rolleyes:

Gon2far and qt stuff are the same design.

Andy Daws licensed the design to QT when he went to canada.

Whitepeak is his website in canada.

the benefit of angling them is more articulation but you need the damper to be set to a higher resistance.

Tunable dampers are best for that and most of the exotic stuff I listed earlier is tunable but you have to strip them to do it.

The benefit of the mx6 seems to be that you can tune the valving to what you need.

Nigel

Ohlins are based in Alton they will make a suspention to suit anything you want it to do. Aurok

My be a bit of over kill for what you use it for but the difrance would massive

;)

Have popped in as passing :unsure: very very knowledgeable and helpful

Its a possiblity, need to whiz the truck up to them, gave them loads of data, just need to think if there are any cheaper options that aren't horribly inferior, what I do like is the "We can tweak until right for you" attitude :)

From discussions independant 2 way adjustable for both compression and rebound remote resovior and fully rebuildable and bespoke settings eye2eye with spherical bearings and smack of qulaity

Keep thoughts coming

Nige

From discussions independant 2 way adjustable for both compression and rebound remote resovior

Depends upon what you are trying to achieve. Adjustable is good, being able to adjust compression and rebound seperately is even better, but really only of use in 'speed' applications....basically anything in the comp safari/OBC/Ladoga end of things. Would not have thought that much 'tune-ability' was needed for UK based challenge/trials type events.

Just my tuppence :)

The Ohlins ORQ looks nice.

I don't understand why stuff like this isnt easy to find specifications on the web.

Varidamp for example, one pdf, no ideas of lengths, thicknesses, damping rates, travel, prices.

I feel like asking f-o-a if I can import theirs and be the UK distributor, we need to open the market up over here.

I notice Milner do fox shocks and that the price is approx same in GBP as dollars, which is about right after customs and VAT.

Depends upon what you are trying to achieve. Adjustable is good, being able to adjust compression and rebound seperately is even better, .....

Mini update from some research

MX6s - 6 stage adjustment, middle setting about the same as a ES9000 then either Firmer or softer, and adjusts both

Have a rubber type bush / not sphereical bearings :(

Ohlins x several times more money, spherical Beraing and sepeartely adjustable rebound and damping and mid point adjustable from the start as to what you wnat

Anyone know a supplier of sperical bearings ?

Linky would be good, still thinking............... :)

Nige