P38 starting problems

Chewbacca

Hi, new here but hoping for some advice. Have a P38 2.5 DSE turbo 98. It has been getting harder to start. Have just repaired a 'flying fan' which tried to escape the engine bay via the bonnet while i was driving. Replaced the radiator and put on a Kenlow fan. Previous to this happening it was getting hard to start and it still is. Have discovered the alternator needs replacing (which was the awful whining noise). Have also replaced the glowplugs, although the old ones are still working, so not down to those. Can see air being sucked back through the diesel filter when i turn off the engine. When i start it again it seems to take a while to pump the diesel up to the injectors. Any advice welcome!

Thanks, chewbacca :angry:

Hi, new here but hoping for some advice. Have a P38 2.5 DSE turbo 98. It has been getting harder to start. Have just repaired a 'flying fan' which tried to escape the engine bay via the bonnet while i was driving. Replaced the radiator and put on a Kenlow fan. Previous to this happening it was getting hard to start and it still is. Have discovered the alternator needs replacing (which was the awful whining noise). Have also replaced the glowplugs, although the old ones are still working, so not down to those. Can see air being sucked back through the diesel filter when i turn off the engine. When i start it again it seems to take a while to pump the diesel up to the injectors. Any advice welcome!

Hi this is my first post so hope it turns out all right,have you checked the spill rail pipes as even one's that look dry can draw in air. Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Er, no as I havent heard of those before, can you describe? :blink:

between each injector you will find a fabric coverd rubber pipe, (the spill return)this takes unused fuel back to the tank,although this is the low pressure side of the fuel system it will draw in air,leading to extended cranking,you may not think there is any thing wrong with them,but they are cheap and easy to change.(push fit) if that fails to do it, the pump pick up can spilt and draw in air but this only happens(generaly) at one fuel level and is much morework to check(tank out :angry: ) and lots more money :(

Hi. Can you describe when exactly does this happen? Is it happening in the morning when the car was stationary over night, is it happening when you drive and stop somewhere for a minute or two, is it happening let's say 20-30 minutes after turning off the engine or all three happen all the time?

Hi. Can you describe when exactly does this happen? Is it happening in the morning when the car was stationary over night, is it happening when you drive and stop somewhere for a minute or two, is it happening let's say 20-30 minutes after turning off the engine or all three happen all the time?

Its happening every time, makes no difference after standing, warm or long journey. It takes several turn overs and several seconds to 'wind up' then goes.

:unsure:

All the time mainly, think I found it now! :)

Next problem. Now the suspension aint working! wont go up or down. Had the system replaced about 8 months ago, so should hopefully be ok. Anyone have any ideas?

After a min or two! All the time

Hi. You can try adding a one way valve on the fuel line before or after the fuel filter. A simple valve not something big and expensive. That way you won't let the fuel get back to the tank when you turn off the engine. The other thing I can think of is that there is an electrical pump inside the tank and it passes the fuel to the mechanical diesel injection pump. If this pump does not work it is likely for the engine to start but the injection pump has to suck the fuel all the way from the tank.

Hold the question of air suspension!!! its all working! :lol:

still the problem of difficult starting tho, air still getting sucked in somewhere, am i goin to have to renew the fuel pipe? <_<

Easiest fix would be to put a non-return valve in the fuel line from the tank to the filter, did this on my 2.5DT last year and never had problems with air in the system again.