mystery hose 200tdi rocker cover

discojmz

on this photo, to the right of the oil seperator is a boss for a hose. ive seen this on a few 200tdis on ebay in the past but never been able to ascertain where on earth it goes to and what it does... point being, mine does not have one. the casting on my rocker cover is completely flat at that point.

If anyone could tell me whether or not I should have one or am at a disadvantage without, id be most grateful. Im assuming breather. In fact on further investigation on microcat it seems to be a breather pipe that runs down to where one of the side covers is on the block (forward most one) but again, no clue why I wouldnt have this!

thanks

39c0_1.JPG

Mmmmmmmmm. I'll have to have a look now. I only had it all apart not that long ago and could of sworn that there wasn't anything there. Hence my reply. Will have to go check now

EPC shows the pipe there for both Disco and Defender 200TDi's. I would imagine that if the pipe is blanked off on the rocker cover, then there would be just a flat plate where the baffle usually is - same as N/A and TD engines. It would mean that some engines have two breathers - rocker cover to rear of block (near camshaft), and then rocker cover to front of block. There's a familiar problem with oil leaking out of the oil seperator - partly due to a single bolt holding the thing on. Perhaps early engines had no second breather pipes, but later ones did?

Les.

mine's one of the very latest 200tdi's and does not have it. it doesnt have the stub blocked off, the stub is not there full stop, the rocker has no sign of ever being cast with one. as said, theres a flat plate on the side of the block

My parts catalogue says:

ERR1530 Rocker cover Up to April '92

ERR3368 Rocker cover From April "92

So if Jims was one of the last 200Tdis and doesn't have one then it looks like it was deleted from april "92.

Jon.

There's a familiar problem with oil leaking out of the oil separator - partly due to a single bolt holding the thing on. Perhaps early engines had no second breather pipes, but later ones did?

Les.

the breather leaks because the o'ring has got tiered. Pull it off replace the o'ring with a new oil resistant one. then I also so put a little silicone one for good measure

My parts catalogue says:

ERR1530 Rocker cover Up to April '92

ERR3368 Rocker cover From April "92

So if Jims was one of the last 200Tdis and doesn't have one then it looks like it was deleted from april "92.

Jon.

Sounds about right,, my 1990 defender does have it

There isn't 1 on my 200TDI. So it's not that vital

I stand corrected. I do have tht pipe :o . In all the times that I've stripped it all down I've never consciuosly noticed that pipe :o:o:o .

Sorry for the missinformation. I will now go and chastize myself

So, the question is, what specifically is its purpose and was it really effective at doing it, why was it deleted (cost saving/didn't work) and why was it reintroduced on the 300Tdi..... and...... if I haven't got one do I really need one :blink: ??

I looked at 2 x 200TDi Disco's today and both of them had the pipe. I don't ever recall seeing one without the pipe, but they obviously exist. I don't know if one is better than the other though. It does seem odd that these pipes were stopped and then reintroduced again. I wonder if Land Rover realised their mistake.

Les.

• 8 years later...

Revived thread

I have the option to go in either direction with this, breather or no breather. Breather is already installed on my rebuilt motor, but I have the blanking plate and blanked valve cover if that's the better way to go. 

Does it really matter one way or another? 

Thanks 

Edited by tomaco1