R380 direct replacement for an LT77?

phil200tdi

Hi All

As you can see in the wanted section I'm looking for a good LT77 to go in my 1992 200tdi disco. However, someone in my club has a 300tdi which they are breaking. Therefore will an R380 gearbox from a 300tdi disco go into a 200tdi disco?? Or is there modification required...

Anyone help...

Cheers

Phil

Straight swap.

I have done reverse.....replaced R380 with LT77 behind a 300tdi in a Discovery.

You might find that you will need to swap the speedo sender and handbrake mechanism. Both are different between boxes.

The mountings are different but....all the holes are present on the transfer box so you can swap between easily enough.

HTH

• 4 months later...
I was assuming that you had/are getting the complete box. You don't need the transfer box you can just swap in the one off the LT77.

The R380 is considered the better of the two boxes anyway.

hi andy , so will the r380 box with the 300tdi bell housing bolt straight on to the 200tdi engine or do u use the lt77 bell housing on the r380 box ? do u , or anybody reading this, have any information of anybody thats used a disco gearbox in a defender? i know the engine will be closer to the front of the vehicle but would like to know where the main gearstick would end up and if its still comfortable to change gear ? steve.

Yes in a Discovery the TDi version of the LT77 and R380 gearboxes are straight swaps.

The Defender and Discovery boxes different enough (bell housing and input shaft length) to make it easier to get the appropraite box.