no drive

I have never seen one break like that either, usually the four rivet things that hold the whole thing together let go and the front and rear bits of the centre separate spraying springs and stuff all over the place.

Abusive driver I reckon :P

Not me :glare: I was half way to work when it went, in third travelling round a bend & climbing a short hill, Overdrive was disengaged so that can't be the cause.

had a closer look at the friction plate outer ring, the thin metal part is actuaaly ripped out of the a section of friction material & the outer edge of part of it is damaged, as the crank spigot bush is totally broken up I'm thinking part of that has been wedged in the friction plate & caused the total failure.

right got my nice shiny new parts today, already fitted the new spigot bush to the rear of the crank & the new release bearing onto the gearbox shaft. only 1 problem the new friction plate is not marked 'flywheel side' nore is there any info on or in the box to advise.

I can't remember which it was on the old plate & my Defender workshop manual doesn't say either.

so which side faces the flywheel

pic 1 flat side or pic 2 sticky out side

post-20-1224700889_thumb.jpg

Good old traditional clutch eh :)

The DMF on my TD5 is rubbish, very snatchy if you ask me though that could I suppose be the clutch!

My fathers transit had a DMF, and had it replaced each year under warranty due to shuddering and noise in reverse and on rundown (regularly loaded to 3.5ton MWB MR) then Ford finally admitted defeat and brought out an official 'coversion' kit to convert it back to a normal flywheel/clutch configuration! Has lasted years now :)

Thanks for the animation by the way, now I know how it really works! :)

just a update. Cos I know your all dying to know how I'm getting on,

well new clutch is fitted & so is the gearbox/transfer box assembly, chuffing heavy & awkward trying to move & line it up on your own with only 1 trolley jack/big bar/ratchet straps to hold it, got the shaft lined up OK & then used the studs/nuts to pull it together, all bolted up & some of the reconnections to transfer linkages done, tomorrow got to refit the mounts/floor plates/overdrive/props & a few other bits.

should be able to complete the job tomorrow :D

I had a clutch plate blow like that on a metro. The primary gear bronze bearing had gone eliptical causing the clutch to disintegrate. Turned out the primary gearbox bearing had wear in also which amplified the effect. Hope its nothing more than the clutch plate as wouldnt like to see you having to remove the box again.

Did you check for excessive movement on the gbox input shaft bearings?

Adrian