300 TDI Injectors and other problems

I have a 1996 300tdi. The engine has approx 60000mls and the rest approx 150000mls.

The car had a hard life as it was used for extensive offroad driving.

post-12328-1224360819_thumb.jpg

The knocking from the diesel is quite loud, lots of black smoke when working hard and after start.

It starts very well down to 7 or 8 degrees outside. Everything below requires 10 sec reving. I assume that the glow plugs are ok. (hoewever, will be exchanged)

Will new injectors help for o smoother running and less smoke?

Power and performance of the engine are very good so I believe that the timing is ok.

Also, occasionally there is a very unheatlthy sound from the front axle (RH). It sounds and feels like gears locking up and suddenly comming free or like a stone getting crushed between two gears. It's only happening very occasionally at low speed, mostly in city traffic. (all oiled and greased!)

Would anybody have some ideas what that may be???

I'm new in this forum, and relatively unexperienced with Defenders.

(Sorry for the English, I'm German)

Welcome,

as the milages don't tally, has it been fitted with a replacement engine at sometime ?

it would be worth removing & testing the glowplugs as one or two not functioning could cause the poor starting, normally a puff of black smoke just after start is normal for tdi engines. try some diesel injection cleaner that should help the injectors/pump.

the knocking on the front might be a CV joint failing or if only on full steering lock the tyre shoulder rubbing the radius arm.

Welcome,

as the milages don't tally, has it been fitted with a replacement engine at sometime ?

it would be worth removing & testing the glowplugs as one or two not functioning could cause the poor starting, normally a puff of black smoke just after start is normal for tdi engines. try some diesel injection cleaner that should help the injectors/pump.

the knocking on the front might be a CV joint failing or if only on full steering lock the tyre shoulder rubbing the radius arm.

Yes, it is a replacement engine.

Will try the injector cleaner and see if there's some improvement.

The noise from the front axle so far has only occured when driving straight. As I,ve said, only happens very occasionally (once a day or so) and no other suspicious sounds in the meantime. But once it bangs it sound serious.

The chances that new injectors will fix your problems are pretty low. They last a lot longer than most people think, and they can be serviced by a good Bosch diesel place, which you should have in Germany! The opening pressure can be reset using shims, and the nozzle tips can also be changed.

mind if i ask a related question.

how often should you add injector cleaner to the fuel? i have never had a satisfactory answer.

I have a 1995 300tdi so i assume adding injector cleaner every few tanks will help? but i am no expert.

thanks

bm52

I replaced my injectors at 140,000 miles, as I thought they must be way passed their best... the truck runs a bit quieter, and I managed to convince myself it has a tiny bit more power but on the whole they didn't make as much of a difference as I thought they might...

no regrets though, as they must have been on their way after 140k...

mind if i ask a related question.

how often should you add injector cleaner to the fuel? i have never had a satisfactory answer.

I have a 1995 300tdi so i assume adding injector cleaner every few tanks will help? but i am no expert.

thanks

bm52

I was surfing around in the web and it's very much depending on what product you will use.

However, mainly the recommendations are to use it every once the service is due.

As they all contain solvents I would not recommend to use them too often.

I have never noticed any improvement when using them. They are mainly paraffin anyway.

If you want a good diesel additive try Stanadyne - they make lots of injector pumps and injectors and do not just sell snake oil additives like some of the companies. Increases the Cetane value for better starting and lubricates the pumps with todays low sulphur diesels.

It made a big difference to the starting on a 2.25 SIII diesel.

Why don't you get your injectors pop tested? I have just had 6 Bosch ones done cost was £15 + vat it tested the spray pattern whether the injector was dribbling and pop off pressure. They had 150K on them spray was fine, no dribbling and pop off was supposed to be 260bar but they were all just under 240bar, not too bad. Being all the same is the important bit. I will be happy to run them for another 50K or so.

Gaza

Very good, many thanks. I will do as recomended. Means first try additive and let them get tested then if no improvement. That'll save me some money.

By the way, how often do you check your valve clearance. Every 12000 miles or is there more time in reality?

Also any ideas about the clonging noise form the front axle? Lifted the axles today and it appears that everything is ok.