Multi battery setup

pugwash

If during split charge the two batteries are connected together then why can I not dispense with a split charge and leave both batteries connected.

I always thought you needed a split charge for a caravan because the second battery was going to be a leisure type and must be isolated from starter type currents. The application most of us are talking about here is two batteries of the same type and coping with similar currents i.e. starting or winching.

Whn you stall your motor and still want to winch then you don't want to kill your starting battery by winching! a split charge diconnects the batteries when there is no charge going to them so that you dont end up with 2 dead batteries.

Not essential for winching- but i am betting there will come a time when you want to get out of the water with a dead motor, but don't want to kill your starting battery into the bargain.

Don't want to steal the thread but am confused.

If during split charge the two batteries are connected together then why can I not dispense with a split charge and leave both batteries connected.

I always thought you needed a split charge for a caravan because the second battery was going to be a leisure type and must be isolated from starter type currents. The application most of us are talking about here is two batteries of the same type and coping with similar currents i.e. starting or winching.

As an aside I have also been told (by someone I would rate as an expert in this field) that strapping the two together is the way to go.

Steve

if you batteries are of the same model, age and condition then it is perfectly fine to leave them connected together all the time (well, apart from the reason described above if you want to isolate one whilst using the other which is perfectly logical).

if your batteries are different and are connected together, whilst the alternator isn't chargin (i.e. the car is just parked up), then you will be damaging them. i've personally done this, and seen others. but when i've run the same type of battery in various quantities they've been fine :) i've run 2's, 4's, 6's, 18's and at one stage 24 connected together...but seen over 50 all joined together.

...and yes, i do realise the current draw of a starter motor when turning over.

G