'98 1.8 Petrol Freelander to Gas

Geminidawn

There is a chance I will get a 1.8 Petrol '98 commercial Freelander for next to nothing as to whether if I am going to keep it depends if I can reduce the every day running costs.

As it is always in 4 wheel drive the petrol consumption is quiet high by comparison to the 1.4 Diesel 2 wheel drive van I have as my everyday transport at the moment.

The van I can run up and down to work 50 miles a day, 5 days a week for about €40

However it comes at a price. The roads here are a disaster and I fork out a small fortune in tracking, tyres, CV boots, joints and cracked sumps due to the daily punishment and the low van clearance. This I am sure the Freelander can handle with little ill effect but with a huge chunk taken out of my wage for fuel.

Could I run it cheaper by converting it to gas?

If so where can I get a kit?

Hi a few posts down from your insertion theres an article about 2 wd FLs. It might be worth taking out the prop shaft and seeing if mpg becomes more economical - furthermore if some kind soul points you in the direction of a good gas kit pls pass on info as I would also be very interested.

regards

Martin

As it is always in 4 wheel drive the petrol consumption is quiet high

I thought the Freelander ran in 2 wheel drive most of the time until the front wheels lost traction when the viscous coupling did some witchcraft and made it 4 wheel drive?? :huh:

The freelander runs in 4WD with a viscous coupling in the rear prop. The "clever bit" is that the front wheels turn slightly faster than the back due to the diff ratios, so most of the time the front pulls the back along and the VC takes up the difference. This makes it feel more like a FWD car until the front wheels slip, at which point the rear wheels start to push.

So, driving with the rear prop & VC connected you are losing some power, and you will also notice the tyres scrubbing during tight turns / parking.