Fitting Kenlowe Fan to 200TDI

lrnewbie

First you need to install the Kenlowe thermostat in the bin and get an X-Switch so that it stands a chance of working after you've been through a puddle.

If it comes with those horrid through-the-radiator cable-tie style fittings, ditch those as well.

First you need to install the Kenlowe thermostat in the bin and get an X-Switch so that it stands a chance of working after you've been through a puddle.

If it comes with those horrid through-the-radiator cable-tie style fittings, ditch those as well.

Sorry, a bit of a novice in these things....so you're suggesting I chuck the supplied thermostat and use an "X-switch", where do I get one of those? Also, if i don't use cable ties what would u suggest i use instead?

Thanks.

X-Switches come from X-Eng(.co.uk) or if you track down SimonR and click the link in his signature you get a forum discount.

Instead of cable ties I'd suggest making a decent support that bolts to something, the cable ties are just a recipe for radiator damage. If you search for "kenlowe" or "electric fan" you should find plenty of examples.

I fitted a Kenlow to my hobby car (1976 Ford Capri) back in 1978 since then I have only had to replace the thermo coupler once, it broke where it entered the top hose. Unfortunatly things like X switches weren't around then.

The fan came with two round L shape rods, one part of the rod mounted to the chassis infront of the rad then it rises up and clamps to the fans motor. So the fan is infront of the rad held by two vertical rods.

I believe Kenlow to alternative fitting kits to this 'cable tie' method, one includes brackets to mount on the metal radiator surround ie. the rad mountings and then to the fan.

I'm supprised that Kenlow still use the heat sence method they did 32 years ago, maybe the have an alternative as an extra.

Worth enquiring at Kenlow I think..

Also I have read that you can remove the fan on a Tdi and do with out it.

I fitted a second hand one to my 300. It didn't come with a fitting kit or thermostat.

Knocked up a frame that slots into the exsisting bottom fan cowling brackets and bolted it to the top radiator frame.

Fitted an X thermostat.

Test it now and again as the engine has only ever gotton warm enough once for it to kick in that I have ever noticed.

Do a search there is plenty of info around.

Good Luck

Gary

I'm a novice in this as well - did someone say (or imply) that I'm paying good money to turn a fan that hardly ever does anything? - I've a TD5.

Is the point of a Kenlow that it only runs when needed,and that's hardly ever? - that's astonishing! (or I've got it wrong...)

I'm a novice in this as well - did someone say (or imply) that I'm paying good money to turn a fan that hardly ever does anything? - I've a TD5.

Is the point of a Kenlow that it only runs when needed,and that's hardly ever? - that's astonishing! (or I've got it wrong...)

TDi's are over-cooled and don't get hot unless they're working hard, many people run them with no fan although I don't know the details and I don't know if the TD5 is like it's predecessors in this respect.

TDi's are over-cooled and don't get hot unless they're working hard, many people run them with no fan although I don't know the details and I don't know if the TD5 is like it's predecessors in this respect.

Try running the car without the viscous fan, I've run my disco 300 without a fan all year without any problems at all including running ac and sitting in traffic queues on hot days.

Was thinking of fitting an electric fan from scrapyard but don't I'll bother, can't see me ever needing one.

On my old 200tdi range rover I only remember the fan coming on a couple of times in traffic, on the 200tdi disco it only comes on when working hard then stopping, and then only for a minuite or so,

I would not run without one, but removing the viscous fan makes a difference to warm up and the car feels better on pickup.

Brilliant guys, thanks for the tips, plenty for me to look up. I might go out on a limb and take the fan out as a single job, see how it fares, especially now that the weather's getting colder. Then look at fitting the kenlowe at a later date when the weather gets better.

I've also heard that the Disco temp guage is set to record hotter than it actually is so it rings true when people say they rarely get hot.

I'll update the thread, maybe with some piccies for fellow novices like myself when i get round to the job :rolleyes: