one for the historians

MarkieB

my sw tub has different lamp clusters to the ones on the hard top:

gallery_45_9_633.png

[all are round lamps save the number plate lamp]

while the hardtop has rectangular reverse/fog lamps.

so, what year is the sw tub? Is it series III, should it fit either way? who's going to win the world cup? :)

Not sure about S3 but my S2 has both stop/tail and brake lights in the top corners (one above the other).

The other indicator on age will be whether the corner strips are galv (pre '89ish?) or painted.

Military S3s had round fog and reverse lights.

Chris

most likely ex-military, round lights same as military 90/110 [not XD/Wolf] vehicles. unless a previous owner has fitted them. also late S3 models had the rear lights in the same position as 90/110s - stop/tail at the top with indicators lower down.

if it's asymmetric like the drawing then you'll want to throw it away anyhow...

asymmetric is the sign of a true artist. Do you think Mona Lisa's smile was really that wonky? :D

<bad taste>then there's van gogh's self-portraits..</bad taste> :huh:

From your drawing the tub looks like a 90 tub. Three rear lights in an L shape pattern is usually 90/110. Series rear lights are two lights at the top, one above the other. Plus early Series stop/tail lenses are larger than indicator lenses, and incorporate the number plate light by way of a clear strip on the bottom edge of the lense.

However, I would have thought the shape of the rear wheel arches would be the dead giveaway. Series wheel arches are rounded, and trail off slightly towards the rear. 90/110 wheel arches are more angular, and usually have plastic spats around the edge.

I'd be surprised at a 90 tub, as it looks as though it's for a 110 sw.. front descending to a lower level.

I'm told the sides are identical to a series 88" sides? I suppose the angled part for the lower doors being a separate part, that's well possible, although doesn't match up with what you say, Dale, re: wheel arches. There were a pair of spats with it.

I'm told the round lamps are 'custom' so I suppose that indicates the tub originally had rectangular lamps, they were replaced to make it resemble newer models..

the tub just currently looks as though it's had a bit of a harder life than the hardtop tub had had. Still, a bit of tidying up should sort that.

have to remember to check the galv/painted corners, although the tub's been repainted in its lifetime; sounds as though it's definitely not [pre-83] series at least, plus as work progresses, it looks an increasingly better fit, with a minimal amount of "persuading" :D

on the military front, did I understand from reading a different thread that military lamps are 'mushroom' shaped, so would the lamp holders look different to non-military? The lamp holders on the tub are recognisably similar to normal ones.

"call me pablo" B)