Identifying transfer box.

upnover4x4

Is there a definitive means of identifying tranfer boxes by just looking at them? I cant determine the origin of my tbox & have gone through my manuals to no avail. I assume it can be identified from the serial number but have not yet found that due to contamination.

I need to identify what ratio the tbox is to correct the gearing due to tyre size.

Thanks Adrian

This following was posted on Mud-Club a couple of days ago, thought it would be useful here.

The LT 230 was fitted to all 5 speed Defenders, all Discos and the RR Classic up to 1988. The serial number will be stamped in one of 2 possible places, either on the bottom left of the main casing or on the earlier vehicles right at the bottom of the left hand side face of the main casing obscured by the exhaust pipe in which case you will need a knife (to scrape the muck off) and a mirror. You are looking for Eg. "28D123456E, you are interested in the first two and the last, i.e. a "28E".

The Borg Warner serial number is printed on a plate at the bottom middle of the rear face. The numbers will look like this Model No: 13-61-005. The numbers and letters after the model number will vary from type to type so you will need to know all the numbers or letters shown.

12D = 1.667 LT 230R, 13D = 1.410 LT 230R, 14D = 1.003 LT 230R, 15D = 1.192 LT 230R, 20D = 1.667 (2.5 N/A 110), 22D = 1.410 (all 4Cyl 90/110 bar above),

25D = 1.410 (V8 110 LT 85), 26D = 1.003 (RR Classic 3 speed auto), 27D = 1.192 (early RR Classic), 28D = 1.222 (RR and Disco I), 29D = 1.192 (V8 90 LT 85),

32D = 1.222, 34D = 1.410 (2.0 Disco I), 36D = 1.211, 38D = 1.211, 40D = 1.211 (NAS/Japan 90&Disco), 41D = 1.211 (Disco II, diff lock stud), 42D = 1.211 (Disco II, diff lock stud),

43D = 1.410 (90/110 TD5), 57D = 1.410 (90/110 TD5), 61D = 1.211, 62D = 1.211, 68D = 1.211, 69D = 1.211, 70D = 1.211 (Disco II, no diff lock)

You can also pop the bottom cover plate off and dot a tooth with a bit of paint then with a wheel a wheel of the front & rear axle jacked off the ground, the transfer box in difflock, engage high ratio with the main gearbox in neutral, turn the rear prop by hand and count the teeth on each of the teeth from the input shaft through the intermediate gears to high range. A bit of maths will then give you the ratio.

My LT230 had a ratio sticker, but no serial number. At first, I thought it was simply hidden by crud, but as I've since jetwashed it, then stripped and put the cases in the parts washer and finally in the dishwasher (hee hee), I can now state categorically that there is no serial number; I have no idea why...?

This is the bit that confuses me ,

the serial number is 13D031015A. According to the ashroft site it would translate to a 13A! But does not specify this derivative of number.

Not to worried now as realised that regarless of what transfer box is fitted, low raio stays the same. Does anybody know of a supplier of lower ratio gearsets?

Adrian

that one would be a 13D suffix A not a 13A. nearly all transfer boxes have 2 numbers & letter prefix then the serial number with a letter suffiix, the prefiix idents the ratio in the box.

from Ashcrofts pages for example 13D = 1.410 LT 230R

mines a 22D suffix C which comes out to 22D = 1.410 (all 4Cyl 90/110 bar above),

the suffix idents any production changes.

or to ID the ratio you can use the technical method which requires an adjustable spanner and a bit if cardboard,

using the spanner put it in diff lock and high ratio,

stuff a bit of cardboard in the input gear hole,

mark a prop drive flange and turn it 1 rev whilst counting how many times the cardboard turns in the input, if it's just less than 1 1/4 it's a 1.222, just less than 1.5 it's a 1.410 !

Is there a definitive means of identifying tranfer boxes by just looking at them?

Yes.

Under the landy, near the centre, attached to the gearbox - is a large aluminium/mud coloured metal lump.

Thats the transfer box.

:ph34r::P