Wolf Rims

headhunter

got 255/85's on my XD/Wolf rims if thats any help, no problems with them so far [10 years]

Ralph

Thanks for relpy.

255/85's are OK for 6.5" rims, it's just that I already have 265/75's but want to go to Wolf Rims if OK even though not officially recommended!

John

I've had a set of Cooper S/T 265/75 on Wolf rims. Couldn't notice any kind of practical problem with that. Apart from that the rims do look a little too narrow for the tyre. I then put the tyres on 7" Disco alloys which looked a lot better.

I think personally you just need to think and make a decision based on what might happen should an unforseen accident occur.

Tyres on too narrow a rim (easily accessible information) would almost certainly be deemed dangerous as it affects the contact patch of the tyre on the road.

same goes for people running 285s on 7" rims just for convenience sake.

Not a risk (calculated or otherwise) that Im gonna be taking anyway

There is nothing wrong with 265's installed on the wolf rims, I've been running that size for several years without any problems or fears.

Attached is a picture of my rims/tire combination, you will see that the tires look perfectly fine on the rims without any excess bulge or the appearance of the rims being too narrow.

Todd.

post-194-1225096502_thumb.jpg

they might be 'fine' and you may not experience any problems.....

but if you had an accident (even if tyres and rims were not at fault) and an over zealous crash inspector saw the tyres were on undersized rims - it can invalidate your insurance and blame would be planted at your feet.

Foreigners like Tuko and me have troubles understanding how picky your insurance companies are. Over here there wouldn't be any discussion regarding an issue like this.

So, we'd better refrain from answering questions about tyre sizes, rims and similar stuff that can be regarded as a problem. :glare::)

I ran 265/75r16 BFG Mt on a 130 dc hcpu in OZ for over 250,000kms with no probs whatsoever. They had the 6.5" fc pattern rims .

Having said that I would NOT do so in UK as the BFG tyre site in UK specifies 7" min rim width and would possibly cause insurance problems in event of a claim , esp if involving road holding of any kind eg skid, rollover etc. JMHO

Is it safe to fit 265/75/16 BFG A/T's to a Wolf Rim, which is 6.5".

Has anyone done it and or had any problems in doing so?

The recommended rim for the above tyre is 7" +

Any advice appreciated.

John

From BFG's tyre info page

for the size mentioned ^^ they recommend 7.0 inch minimum rim width & 8.5 maximum

for my MT's they say 6.5 inche rim width is recommened minimum. so I'm OK with that.

Thanks Ralph

I've seen the recommended figures for the 6.5" rims and was keen to know if anyone had encountered any problems fitting wider tyres, particularly 265/75/16's, which are recommended for 7" to 8.5" rims.

From what's been posted so far, I understand that it can be done without any in use problems, however it might not be worth the risk in legal/insurance terms.

John

255/85's would be nice (and expensive), but I run AT's which BFG don't do in that size, though Cooper do.

My AT's are in excellent condition and are more appropriate for desert driving which is the most likely destination of our next trip, hence the reason for wanting wolf rims, given their strength and durability.

I suppose going down to 235 or 245/75 would solve the dilemma but it still means new tyres and I don't get the extra inch, unless I go Cooper which as a brand I have no experience.

John

Does anyone know a good place where to get Wolf rims?

Cheers

Stef

Craddocks have these listed http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk scroll down to the 18th line click on the wheel link at top of page then select 90/110 in drop menu, then wheels in other drop menu.

Part Number : ANR4583PM

ROAD WHEEL WOLF 6.5 X 16

£54.00

£54.60Part Number : ANR4583SILVER

ROAD WHEEL WOLF SILVER 6.5 X 16

£49.00

not to bad a price, IIRC mine were £35 each about 10 years ago.

I have 265/75 R16's on my WOLF rims....these are the second set I've had now and to date the only problems I've had are because I have to deflate them down to 16psi for soft sand and noticed slight cracks around the bead.

I was talking the the BFG technical support guy last week during the Desert Challenge race and he was happy with the tyre and rim combination that I have.

I wouldn't know what the insurance people would have to say in the UK about such a set-up....I'll let the doubting Thomas's advise on that part.

I would have thought that if this combination was good enough for the Tyres Makers then the insurance folk would also be satisfied.