Inlet Manifold Cleaning

Sniffer

Changed the glow-plugs on my L-series diesel the other day to try and improve the cold-starting. They seem to have helped but I also suspect the battery needs replacing as it sounds to be struggling a bit.

While doing so I found the inlet manifold to be a little gunged up - this can mean a faulty EGR valve I believe but in the meantime can anybody advise what I could use to clean the gunge out of the inlet manifold?

Cheers

I've seen this sort of thing on petrol engines that have done a lot of short runs.

Careful scrapping out with an old screwdriver and using some intake/carb cleaner will remove most of it.....with the manifold off the engine and on the bench....you don't want any of the lost stuff getting into the engine.

The 'gunge' will more than likely stop the EGR from working but it does not nessacarily mean that it is at fault.