feeling the cold in your truck

I've recently had to sort my heater sldes as all I got was very lukewarm air & next to no flow

the left [fan] slide -- push it fully up to the 'O' position [off]

on the inner face of the heater box, check that the spring clip for the cables outer sleeve is in place & the lever the wire inner cable is attached to fully up as far as it will go.

if not, slacken the small cable grip bolt & push the lever fully up & tighten the cable grip bolt.

on the right side the outer lever operates the flaps inside the heater duct [bottom of dash] with this outer lever fully up to the windscreen logo, the duct flaps should be closed on to the footwell air exits [remove the plastic ducts to check]

the inner lever [hot/cold] operates the flap lever on top of the heater box, check this lever can move across it's full range, if not slacken the cable grip bolt/push the hot/cold lever fully up & note which way the inner cable moves, if it moves out [extends] move the heater box top lever the same way & tighten the cable grip & obviously vice versa.

my heater lost one of it's cable outer clips so I had to check & reset both cables to get lots of lovely hot air into the cab

hope it helps keep you toasty warm, mine does now.:D

Edited by western
  • Like 1

My heater works fine, but when set to blow onto the windscreen I get a torrent of hot air though the passenger-side vent but almost nothing through the driver's? Would that a cable issue or do I have a birds nest in a duct somewhere?

I've recently had to sort my heater sldes as all I got was very lukewarm air & next to no flow

the left [fan] slide -- push it fully up to the 'O' position [off]

on the inner face of the heater box, check that the spring clip for the cables outer sleeve is in place & the lever the wire inner cable is attached to fully up as far as it will go.

if not, slacken the small cable grip bolt & push the lever fully up & tighten the cable grip bolt.

on the right side the outer lever operates the flaps inside the heater duct [bottom of dash] with this outer lever fully up to the windscreen logo, the duct flaps should be closed on to the footwell air exits [remove the plastic ducts to check]

the inner lever [hot/cold] operates the flap lever on top of the heater box, check this lever can move across it's full range, if not slacken the cable grip bolt/push the hot/cold lever fully up & note which way the inner cable moves, if it moves out [extends] move the heater box top lever the same way & tighten the cable grip & obviously vice versa.

my heater lost one of it's cable outer clips so I had to check & reset both cables to get lots of lovely hot air into the cab

hope it helps keep you toasty warm, mine does now.:D

Nice one Ralph, I was blummin freezing coming home and couldn't figure out why there was no heat flowing - good timing cheers

I had to change the blower motor on my Disco recently and was dismayed to find that - on what appeared to be an undisturbed installation - the heater control cables were so badly adjusted that at full extent of the lever movement the hot-cold flap was only 2/3 over so that the unit never blew fully hot! Legendary build quality eh? ;)

Now I can burn my fingers on the output vents :)

[homer]

mmm Toasty!

[/homer]

:D

Guppy,

There are two alternatives depending on what you mean by "almost nothing". If it is nothing, the hose to the defroster might have fallen off at one end. It's instruments out to get to it...

Then there is the Land Rover standard with the heater nearest to the passenger which also means that the nearest defroster gets more of the hot air. I have put a restriction in the hose on the pass side in form of the bottom of a tea candle with a maybe 10 mm hole in it. This way, the defroster air is more evenly distributed to both sides.

I suppose this could be a cue for me to to come in and say just how quickly my Puma Defender warms up, just how much hot air the heating system produces in comparison to the earlier models I've owned, how nice it is to be able to direct that all that plentiful hot air pretty much where you want it including demisting the side windows...

...but I won't ;)

Shall we call a truce Ralph? :P

Newbie question on this:

Mine blows good warm air when the temp gauge eventually moves up a bit ... but the middle position on the settings doesn't seem to make much difference?

at the top all the flow is from the top vents

in the middle almost all of the flow is still at the top vents

at the bottom its almost even from both vents

I guess I expected the middle to be even - with the bottom position favouring the bottom vent.

Is this about normal or are we up for some adjusting?

What are the opinions on the uprated heater matrixes. Mine has a hole and is currently not connected. Is it worth buying an uprated one or just making sure a new standard item works as efficiently as it can? (Its a 200tdi in a 110 so won;t get quite as warm as quickly as a V8 unfortunately!)

Newbie question on this:

Mine blows good warm air when the temp gauge eventually moves up a bit ... but the middle position on the settings doesn't seem to make much difference?

at the top all the flow is from the top vents

in the middle almost all of the flow is still at the top vents

at the bottom its almost even from both vents

I guess I expected the middle to be even - with the bottom position favouring the bottom vent.

Is this about normal or are we up for some adjusting?

I have this too and am waiting for time and a dry day to investigate so would welcome pointers where to start. I know the flaps that control air into the footwells aren't opening so this could mean adjustment of the cable but do I do this at the lever or is it deeper in the bowels of the dash? And could it be caused by something else?

Oh FFS!!!

Went to have a look at mine. Obviously its been a while since I moved the levers because they needed a bit of force :angry: you can see where this going can't you? :rolleyes: Yep, snap! now the levers are just flopping about and I have to take the dash to bits to see whats broken :(

Will <_<

Two Landrover heaters-

One RRC 3.9 blows lovely warm air through in just a couple of minutes.

One LR90 also with 3.9 V8 takes f ages before warm air comes through. I have already checked all the cables and flaps are correctly adjusted. It does blow nice'n'hot, eventually.

But why such a difference in time 'till hot? They both use tons of fuel so ought to warm up quickly enough. Is it just down to the RRC having a bigger heater matrix? or is it that it takes a while longer to warm up the lower tinwork of a Landrover dash? What other tricks may there be in the RRC?

I'm sure I read about someone piggybacking two heater matrices once into an oversized casing. That may have been with a series setup. Has anyone tried this with a Defender type, and still got it to line up with the intake duct in the wing?

I suppose this could be a cue for me to to come in and say just how quickly my Puma Defender warms up, just how much hot air the heating system produces in comparison to the earlier models I've owned, how nice it is to be able to direct that all that plentiful hot air pretty much where you want it including demisting the side windows...

...but I won't ;)

Shall we call a truce Ralph? :P

Hello buddy :D nice timing :rofl: good to know you won't freeze.

Only draw back with that is that its just more drag on the motor I guess?

Anyone confirm the correct heater lever function on a defender? as per mine and GL88's post above? :D

in my info above I've detailed which lever moves which vent flaps.

I know the flaps that control air into the footwells aren't opening so this could mean adjustment of the cable but do I do this at the lever or is it deeper in the bowels of the dash?

Answering my own question, I've just taken the hot/cold and up/down levers off mine and the reason the footwell flaps weren't opening is because the clamp on the cable wasn't tight. This meant that moving the distribution lever just pulled and pushed the outer cable together with the inner - one minute with an 8mm spanner and all is fine. I took the opportunity to wave the 3in1 oil around too and now everything is smooth too.

in my info above I've detailed which lever moves which vent flaps.

I've been meaning to come back to this.

What I was after was not what lever did what or where to adjust it.... though I realise if I figure out how to adjust the cable for the vent it all it should become right ....... but does the vent lever work on all Landy's like it does on mine (before I go and try and adjust it).....

ie - top position - windscreen vent

- middle position - still windscreen vent

- bottom position - windscreen and bottom vent

As Western described

well mine seems to be fully closed in the middle position .... is that normal? or should it be half open?