Urgent help please with my dip beam?

Driving home from work this evening mainly on dip I pulled into my drive and the dipped lights went out leaving just the sidelights on. I have spot lights wired in the standard way using a relay and this orientation has all been working fine for the last 12 months. I have checked all the fuses and none are blown, any ideas on what I should check next?

Thanks Rich

Just to update, only the flash works, so when I pull back on the switch the spot and main beam comes on. when I leave the stick in the middle or push forward for main beam I only get side lights. I agree it sounds like a relay, but which one? would this be one of the factory fitted relays or the one the mechanic fitted when I had the spots installed?

Thanks in advance Rich

Reckon you need to get to the hi-lo switch on the column and check you are getting 12v to the dip circuit. Beyond that it is matter of checking through the circuit diagram.

Just thinking it could be both your dip filaments have gone, might be worth checking that you are getting 12v to the dip circuit on the bulb first.

Has the vehicle ever been fitted with higher wattage bulbs?

There is a rivet on the stalk assembly that has a copper strip from it that goes between the loom connection and the high/low switch in the stalk.

This may have heat damage, possibly due to overload, ie, higher wattage bulbs or aux lamp relay switch load, etc. The plastic of the assembly melts and the contact that the rivet should fasten becomes loose and the electrical conductivity is broken.

Try using a small piece of wire to bridge the rivet and see what happens.

Please let us know how you get on....

Timpo.

I'm in Cheshire myself if your stuck, I could come take a look.

Has the vehicle ever been fitted with higher wattage bulbs?

There is a rivet on the stalk assembly that has a copper strip from it that goes between the loom connection and the high/low switch in the stalk.

This may have heat damage, possibly due to overload, ie, higher wattage bulbs or aux lamp relay switch load, etc. The plastic of the assembly melts and the contact that the rivet should fasten becomes loose and the electrical conductivity is broken.

Try using a small piece of wire to bridge the rivet and see what happens.

Please let us know how you get on....

Timpo.

I'm in Cheshire myself if your stuck, I could come take a look.

Thanks for that I'll check it out in the morning and let you know what happens

Problem solved, it is the main beam dip switch/lever part #XPB101290

So another fix to add to the archive, if you have no main or dipped lights but the flash works it may well be this part that needs replacing.

Cheers and thanks for the help........... :rolleyes: