Tyre / inner tubes / confused!!

I got my last full set of tyres - pretty normal Michelin 205S16 tyres I think - from Quik-Fit and they had inner tubes. I had a valve problem and another branch of the same said, oh no should not have inner tubes on those wheels, removed the tube. Wheel seemed fine.

Have just replaced the burst one and no tube fitted.

I seem to recall reading here that LR tyres are meant to have inner tubes.

Who is right and what should I have on my wheels, inner tubes or not??

Thanks to anyone who can shed light.

Malcy

Let me see how much I can confuse both you and myself.

Land Rover in their wisdom produce both tubed and tubless rims. That should be stamped onn the rim.

Now it is getting increasing difficult to buy tubed tyres.

So on a tubed rim, Land Rover state in their books that a tube may be used with a tubeless tyre.

Also Land Rover to make life even more difficult say that you must use a tube on a tube type tyre on a tubeless rim.

It is actually in the Land Rover Defender handbook IIRC.

Are you still with me ? no I thought not....

However in the UK it is not permissible to fit an inner tube to a tubeless tyre on a tubeless rim to mend a puncture.

Does tht help ??

Lesson over for today....

mike

I've had various tyre places give me a load of old cobblers about the various rim/tube/tyre combinations, long story short I went to ProTyre who happily removed a set of tyres from Volvo rims, enlarged the valve holes on a set of Disco rims, stuck tubes in and put the tyres back on for me for not very much money at all.

I've been told it's a bad idea to run cheap tubes in tubeless tyres as the inside of the tyre is left rough (tube type ones are smooth inside) and can rub through & pop the tube. Michelin tubes seem to be made of sterner stuff and they're what I've always run.

I've had various tyre places give me a load of old cobblers about the various rim/tube/tyre combinations, long story short I went to ProTyre who happily removed a set of tyres from Volvo rims, enlarged the valve holes on a set of Disco rims, stuck tubes in and put the tyres back on for me for not very much money at all.

I've been told it's a bad idea to run cheap tubes in tubeless tyres as the inside of the tyre is left rough (tube type ones are smooth inside) and can rub through & pop the tube. Michelin tubes seem to be made of sterner stuff and they're what I've always run.

I've found exactly the same thing....