Cruise Control Switches

discobandit

Been trying to get the Cruise Control to work for what seems like forever. Today checked all electrical connections "again" tried it.

Nothing :angry:

I did, however, hear a click when pulling back on the reset button. Tried the set button, no click.

Could this be the problem before I go down the complicated route of checking ECU readings etc.

Cheers

Gary

I don't know if yours will be same as mine, but Mine is controlled by vaccum hoses, a number of which had frayed at the ends where they all interconnect. All I did was cut off the frayed ends and remade the connections, and all was working fine after that.

Like I say, yours may be different on account yours is diesel and mine is a V8, but thought it worth a mention.

I'd go along with that ^ ^ ^. Check all the vacuum hose ends for splits & especially the T behind the washer bottle. Pull it out to inspect it 'cos it may be hard to see in there.

Don't overlook the hoses on the pedal switches. If you remove the hose from the vacuum pump make sure it goes back on the same spigot. (there are two, but one is a discharge port & it won't work.)

See how you go & then get back here again.

I'd go along with that ^ ^ ^. Check all the vacuum hose ends for splits & especially the T behind the washer bottle. Pull it out to inspect it 'cos it may be hard to see in there.

Don't overlook the hoses on the pedal switches. If you remove the hose from the vacuum pump make sure it goes back on the same spigot. (there are two, but one is a discharge port & it won't work.)

"The T behind the water bottle"

Haven't found that one yet. I'll get looking.

Cheers

Gary

• 8 years later...
On 11/2/2008 at 11:39 PM, First_Fleet said:

The T on my '96 Disco is on the other side from the washer bottle. (probably cuz it's USA model?). Checked and replaced all the hoses.  Anyway no vacuum while the engine is running and cruise switch is turned on.  I assume the ECU modulates the vacuum pump tho while the vehicle is in motion.  How do I determine if it's a bad vacuum pump or if it's the ECU?

22 hours ago, pkjorlie said:

The T on my '96 Disco is on the other side from the washer bottle. (probably cuz it's USA model?). Checked and replaced all the hoses.  Anyway no vacuum while the engine is running and cruise switch is turned on.  I assume the ECU modulates the vacuum pump tho while the vehicle is in motion.  How do I determine if it's a bad vacuum pump or if it's the ECU?

Try these tests at the CC ECU which are for a UK spec D1

Ground Test - From pin 8 (black wire) on the cruise control module plug perform a continuity test to good chassis ground.

Main voltage test - With ignition & cruise control system on, transfer in high (non difflock) & auto box in 'drive' connect volt meter between pin 8 (black wire) and pin 10 (white & yellow wire) you should have battery voltage if not check fuse. 

Secondary voltage test - Connect volt meter between pin 8 (black wire) and pin 9 (Purple & Green wire) you should have battery voltage if not check lock out relay or gear selection switch.

Brake Pedal Test - Connect volt meter between pin 8 (black wire) & pin 5 (green & purple wire). Press the brake pedal, you should get battery voltage.

Steering Wheel Set / Accel Test - Connect volt meter between pin 8 (black wire) & pin 3 (red & white wire). Press the Set / Accel button, you should get battery voltage.

Steering Wheel Res / Decel Test - Connect volt meter between pin 8 (black wire) & pin 4 (blue & white wire). Press the Set / Accel button, you should get battery voltage.

Vacuum Pump Test - Using a jumper wire connect pin 10 (white & yellow wire) to pin 1 (white & blue) this provides power to the pump. Then using a jumper wire connect pin 6 (black & yellow) AND pin 7 (black & red) to pin 8 (black wire). This should energise the pump & solenoid and the bellows should contract.

Speed Sensor Test - Connect a volt meter between pin 8 (black) and pin 11 (yellow & pink), drive the motor around the block, voltage should increase as speed increases.

Pete

On 22/05/2017 at 6:08 PM, teabag said:

Try these tests at the CC ECU which are for a UK spec D1

Ground Test - From pin 8 (black wire) on the cruise control module plug perform a continuity test to good chassis ground.

Main voltage test - With ignition & cruise control system on, transfer in high (non difflock) & auto box in 'drive' connect volt meter between pin 8 (black wire) and pin 10 (white & yellow wire) you should have battery voltage if not check fuse. 

Secondary voltage test - Connect volt meter between pin 8 (black wire) and pin 9 (Purple & Green wire) you should have battery voltage if not check lock out relay or gear selection switch.

Brake Pedal Test - Connect volt meter between pin 8 (black wire) & pin 5 (green & purple wire). Press the brake pedal, you should get battery voltage.

Steering Wheel Set / Accel Test - Connect volt meter between pin 8 (black wire) & pin 3 (red & white wire). Press the Set / Accel button, you should get battery voltage.

Steering Wheel Res / Decel Test - Connect volt meter between pin 8 (black wire) & pin 4 (blue & white wire). Press the Set / Accel button, you should get battery voltage.

Vacuum Pump Test - Using a jumper wire connect pin 10 (white & yellow wire) to pin 1 (white & blue) this provides power to the pump. Then using a jumper wire connect pin 6 (black & yellow) AND pin 7 (black & red) to pin 8 (black wire). This should energise the pump & solenoid and the bellows should contract.

Speed Sensor Test - Connect a volt meter between pin 8 (black) and pin 11 (yellow & pink), drive the motor around the block, voltage should increase as speed increases.

Pete

If this isn't in the tech archive it should be.