Centre diff lock problem

will_warne

Ok, I wonder if anyone has any more ideas for me. I just can't seem to work out what's going on. Since fitting the 1.66 transfer box I've had lots of problems with the diff lock. The first problem I had was, I'm 99% sure, down to the linakges needing adjusting properly. Basicly, the locking ring didn't move all the way across so diff lock was only partially engaged.....

The problem I've now got is that it won't come out of diff lock and hasn't for a couple of months. I've only just discovered this, though, as the new sensor switch I fitted when I put the transfer box in didn't work :angry: What's strange, though, is that the locking ring isn't engaged so I can't work out what's keeping the diff locked. I've taken the inspection plate off but it doesn't seem to make sence. I've tried all I know to knock it out of diff lock but its still in although I get the occasional bang when turning hard although its skipping a tooth. When it oes this the hi/low selector also jumps over to the left towards diff lock. Any one got any ideas? Aftr about 10 hours of getting no where I've run out of ideas!

TIA

I recommend draining the oil from your TGV - and then taking it for a motorway drive

After maybe 10 miles you'll no longer care about diff-lock :P

I've been stuck in diff lock before, but not for months !!!!!!!

Drive the vehicle off of a steep curb to remove any transmission wind-up, may take a couple of attempts.

I recommend draining the oil from your TGV - and then taking it for a motorway drive

After maybe 10 miles you'll no longer care about diff-lock :P

I've been stuck in diff lock before, but not for months !!!!!!!

Drive the vehicle off of a steep curb to remove any transmission wind-up, may take a couple of attempts.

Tried that a few times at speed. the last attempt had 2 wheels off the ground. The thing that's strange, though, is wouldn't the locking 'ring'/dog still be in the forward position if wind up was keeping it locked? Mine's back in the unlocked ie rear position.

lift one wheel if it spins freely in not in diff lock if it will not spin its in diff lock.

unless you have a visco like me and the is a whole load of other agro as I can't work out it mine is locked or not but if you lift one wheel it will lock which is what it is suppose to do.

I blow the CD in a LT95 for the same thing it was locked in difflock and I didn't know but as you say the loud bangs soon gave it alway.

Been there, done that Will. All-be-it with an LT95 the setup is basicly the same.

The diff is a 4-pin affair and, as such all the innards are contained in the diff case when they break. You break one gear and it stays in the case locking all the others and preventing the diff from "Diffing". Every so often the wind-up gets to the point where the diff can skip round and that is what you hear. It is only a few minutes work once you get started to remove the handbrake, speedo drive housing and the diff to inspect it.

Chris

DON'T TRY AND FIX IT BEFORE SLINDON!

I know what you're like Warne, I'll be getting phone calls on Sunday morning 5 minutes before Briefing saying "Yup, it's nearly ready, I won't be long!"

Seriously though, it sounds as if the thing is U/S and may have something jammed in the teeth which is preventing it from disengaging.

I'd be inclined to;

1) Leave it well alone

Knowing you, I suspect you'll either;

1) Strip the whole thing apart the day before Mike Wolfe and be in a blind panic at 1130pm

2) Buy a new bling box from Ashcrofts, try and fit it the day before Mike Wolfe, and be in a blind panic at 1130pm

If you are (unlikely I know) going to leave it alone, whip a propshaft off until the event to prevent anything else breaking. I'd remove the front one - if it snows you can pretend you are a rally driver in Sainsbury's carpark. Then, prop back on when you reach Slindon and you're away.

OT1: Accommodation and Curry at my Folks house the night before Mike Wolfe is sorted (sorry everyone else, only our team!)

OT2: Where abouts on the transfer box is the switch? Must get round to fixing mine!

I like that philosophy

Its not broke till it stops there for leave well alone.

I live my life by it.

or

do what I do when its making a doggy noise wait for it to totaly brake there for you know exactly whats broke and you get value for money out of the part.

:unsure::lol:

I think if the pins in the centre diff break, it stays jammed in difflock (or at least doesn't "diff" as it should) so maybe that is what has happened.

I remember a few years back some folks here used to go through centre diff bits like Smarties by jumping the vehicles and stuff like that, and IIRC it was always the pins in the diff that broke. I remember the owner of one such vehicle later in its life telling me it was on its ninth transfer box... :blink:

OK, thanks everyone so far. I'm not worried about the centre diff breaking, its got a solid cross shaft so it'll be a ring and pinion that goes first. I partially rebuilt the transfer box and fitted the solid cross shaft when about 6 months ago. I didn't go for an Ashcroft box as I knew the t.box was in good condition. I don't think I did anything stupid when I rebuilt everything but I'm begining to worry I might have done. What really annoys me is the whole point of me doing the solid cross shaft conversion was to give me a trouble free transfer box setup.......

Jules, tried jacking it up and wheel turns a couple of degrees (transmission backlash) but that's it.

Si, don't worry, I'm pulling it appart on Saturday. I've given myself all weekend to sort this and fit the underdrive. If the worst comes to the worst I'll pop the transfer box out to get a propper look at what's going on. I will get it sorted though! Cheers for the accomodation, what time do you want to head off on Saturday? I was planning to get the tyres tubed on Saturday morning when Frog's is quieter so leaving about 12 or 1 would be good for me. P.S. The switch is a total swine to get at. Its a skinned knuckles and anglo saxon job ;)

OK, thanks everyone so far. I'm not worried about the centre diff breaking, its got a solid cross shaft

Oh yeah I forgot about you doing that, sorry

so it'll be a ring and pinion that goes first.

Erm

hmmm

[Deploy fly to dip into ointment]

obvious flaw in this argument though in that you have a bladdered centre diff :)

Can't immediately think what else it could be though. Don't suppose the solid cross shaft thing might have broken? I don't even know what the solid ones look like...? not much else to go wrong in a centre diff unless maybe the bolts have come loose and it's fallen to bits inside the transfer box or something

Will,

If the dog ring is out of engagement then it can only be one of two things,

1. Siezed input/output shafts locking one or both of them to the diff case.

2. F----d diff unit

Either way you will have to strip the box.

Good luck.

Lara.

can I refer the gentleman to his previous comment:

" I'm not worried about the centre diff breaking, its got a solid cross shaft so it'll be a ring and pinion that goes first. I partially rebuilt the transfer box and fitted the solid cross shaft when about 6 months ago"

could it be you did something wrong?

have you asked Dave Ashcroft?

Will I am suprised at you how come you havent splashed a few more pennys and given your transfer box to dave and asked him to look at it and fit the underdrive whilst he was at it.

Or is it that the man you need to talk to is on holiday this week?

P.S. I sent you some photos last night of Gwyns linkage for the Underdrive, did you get them and what do you think?

can I refer the gentleman to his previous comment:

" I'm not worried about the centre diff breaking, its got a solid cross shaft so it'll be a ring and pinion that goes first. I partially rebuilt the transfer box and fitted the solid cross shaft when about 6 months ago"

could it be you did something wrong?

have you asked Dave Ashcroft?

Tony, I'm thinking more that it's something I did wrong but I can't think what. Dave's away this week (as Rob said).

Rob, does this mean you've just bought something? ;) I got the photos BTW, I'll send you some in return some time soon.

Lara, Shafts are unlikely to be seized but we'll soon see. I'm going to have a long look at it tomorrow (deep joy :P )

Well, I should have known it wouldn't be good when I saw the state of the drainplug. Lots of swaft with one VERY big bit :o Diagnosis was correct, the spider gears on the centre diff were totally destroyed; I've now got about 20 small bits of gear, a wrecked cross shaft (which includes a spider gear that's welded itself to the shaft :angry: ) and a lot of work to get done for next weekend. Time to give Mr Ashcroft a call, me thinks.....

Well, I should have known it wouldn't be good when I saw the state of the drainplug. Lots of swaft with one VERY big bit :o Diagnosis was correct, the spider gears on the centre diff were totally destroyed; I've now got about 20 small bits of gear, a wrecked cross shaft (which includes a spider gear that's welded itself to the shaft :angry: ) and a lot of work to get done for next weekend. Time to give Mr Ashcroft a call, me thinks.....

Bugga!

good luck in getting it done

Bugga!

good luck in getting it done

Oh, it WILL get done. If the worst comes to the worst I've got a spare transfer box at home and I'll get the vehicle (up north at the moment) trailered back. Hopefully Ashcrofts can sort me a new set of gears as that'll be the easiest solution.

Chris