Tyres for Defender Td5 110 CSW (2005)??

From new, my Landrover Defender (2005) CSW 110 has had fitted General Grabber TR tyres, 235/85R 16C tubeless.

I have run them on-road at 48 psi back and 28psi front, the pressures reccd in the LR handbook. For various off-road terrains I’ve run them at what I believed to be suitable pressures: maybe 10 lbs less at the back and 3 -4 lbs less at the front for dirt track, roughish track, for example, and sometimes less in other conditions.

At the edges, particularly at the back, bits of tread are damaged and missing through rough usage, and the tread is at “replace point” (especially in the centre at the back, which suggests overinflation).

This is at about 34,000 km, perhaps one-third of that on non-paved roads, some very or extremely rough and rocky.

Some time ago I damaged a front tyre and was obliged to replace it. I bought a Michelin LTX A/T 235/85 R16 Tubeless, largely because I planned to use Michelin in future, but also that that was easiest to buy at the time.

I am wondering what four tyres to buy as replacements. I’m assuming that if they’re not Michelin LTX A/T nothing is going to hurt for a short time by having that tyre on an axle with another radial specification/make.

I expect to continue the same usage pattern as before, maybe one third on non-paved roads, or perhaps a bit more. Where I drive is almost always dry (no rain), though if my next set of tyres last substantially longer than the General Grabber have, “all-weather” usage could apply. Noise IS an issue. Hell this Defender is so noisy as it is.

Which tyres would you recommend and why?

BFG AT's or General Grabber AT2's would seem to be an ideal choice for your sort of conditions. Hard wearing, good traction on and off road, good braking attributes and both good in wet on tarmac.

Noise of both is low, with AT2 being slightly better in my opinion. Have a set of AT2's on a P38 V8 RR and they are not noisy on that, so you won't notice them on a Defender.

Steve

BFG AT's every time, superb tyres in all (non-extreme!) conditions.

They are (I have BFGs on the Discovery and Gen AT2s on the Ranger) but to be honest and IMVHO the AT2 is 95% as good for rather less than 95% of the price, that's what I will be putting on my Discovery next time round as I can't see the sense in spending what will probably be an extra £100 on a set of tyres.

The problem that you have had with the General tyres comes down to one thing. Following Land Rovers tyre pressures.

The back pressures given are supposedly for a fully laden vehicle.

I run my 300Tdi station wagon heavily laden and I di not run those sort of pressures in the rear tyres.

With a normal overland weight of at least 3,400kg I run 34 lb/in squared....Thats with the Grabber TR tyres.

For the front the 28 is fine.

So when you buy a full set of new tyres. Take some time ansd set the tyre pressures to what is best for the weight of your vehicle.

There is somewhere on here a very good set of instructions on how to do that with just a tyre pressure gauge and a piece of chalk.

Hi, thanks for replies and advice so far.

I notice that so far there’s no mention of MICHELIN. Though money is not the key issue, the fact that I have one unused Michelin LTX A/T 23/85 (cost of app.USD 130 equiv) sitting on my spare wheel carrier means that if I used it I’d need to shell out for only three new tyres rather than four.

Does nobody like Michelin?

I notice that so far there’s no mention of MICHELIN. Though money is not the key issue, the fact that I have one unused Michelin LTX A/T 23/85 (cost of app.USD 130 equiv) sitting on my spare wheel carrier means that if I used it I’d need to shell out for only three new tyres rather than four.

I can't comment on Michelin as a 4X4 tyre. I've only used them on a rear engine rear wheel drive car.

Where do you live please, that does help us help you.

mike

Michelin are great, i prefer to use their performance tyres on all my road vehicles where possible, but they are expensive and just cos they make good road tyres doesnt mean they make good off-road tyres....sadly i dont have ther money to buy Michelin 4x4 tyres, and believe that others are going to be chaeaper with comparable or better performance, like the BFG.

EDIT: As i suspected, BFG are owned by Michelin anyway!

They are "OK" but that is all. The XPC which is fitted to Defenders these days lasts for a fairly average amount of time, has average puncture resistance, very average grip on road, no grip at all off road and is above averagely expensive! Much the same can be said of the rest of the range, which is pretty restricted and the largest size is 235/85R16 which is about as much good as a tow rope woven out of damp Weetabix around here.

I knew somebody who had those LTXs once and he said on several occasions that they lasted really well but they were so hard riding he wished the damn things would wear out so he could throw them away and get something else! Probably fine if you have smooth roads and want good mileage out of them but not for rough roads!

One of you asked where I live. I am in southern Oman, where the choice of tyres isn't going to be that great.

That said, I hope the new ones will last long enough to still be in use and the right choice when we leave here to travel with the vehicle in countries where road surfaces could be of all kinds, like here (except that in Oman, mud is rare).

The "they're just average but expensive" comment about Michelin was really interesting.