I'm a new owner,what's all these knobs?

Speeedy6

I'm a first time Land rover owner. It's a Series IIa 1967 2 door 109'' diesel.First, I found the glow plug button but, how long do I hold it in? It's on the rt bottom of the instrument panel with another button on the lower left side, what's that one for? And , is it positive ground?I think it originally had two 6v batteries and has one 12v now is that ok ? Will someone explain the shift pattern please? And the lights inside the gauges and anything else I've left out. It seems like a great vehicle ,is it?

Thank you for your help, Mark

Afraid I don't know about diesel Landies. The only thing I can say is that the glow plugs are there to heat a small amount of diesel for the first combustion so I would guess their length of action is subject to the ambient temperature. On my Cummins ISB, the duration on the coldest days is about 15 seconds, so I would guess 15 - 30 seconds would be about the max duration for yours.

The 12v battery is fine provided it has the appropriate Amps or Cold Cranking Amperage (which is the measure this side of the pond) for a diesel. I believe 750 is the generally recognized CCA for a diesle battery.

Shift is Up far left for Rev and then an H pattern with 1st in the upper left, 2nd below, 3rd a long throw to the upper left, etc. If you have the original gearbox it is a durable but anachronistic one with no synchronisation cones which means you have to double de-clutch on shifts. Put the clutch in, move the gear lever to neutral, let the clutch out, puthe clutch in and move the gear lever to the next desired gear position.

Yellow lever depresses to give you 4wd in high range. There is no center differential, so in 4wd power is split equally between the front and rear wheels at all times. If you try to use 4wd on hard surfaces, you will eventually (rather quickish) destroy your transmission as it is unable to "scrub" wind up on hard surfaces. To disengage 4wd High Range, move the red lever back (which is how you engage 4wd Low Range) and then forward again. This also required double de-clutching (see above).

Lights inside gauges: Red is the charge light. When lit, it means that the alternator is generating insifficient charge for the battery. Blue light is your high beam indicator. I forget what the green light is...

It is a great vehicle and you will enjoy it, much of the time.

Best of Luck!

Lights inside gauges: Red is the charge light. When lit, it means that the alternator is generating insifficient charge for the battery. Blue light is your high beam indicator. I forget what the green light is...

Green light is oil isn't it? It's been too long since I was near a standard Series :unsure:

The 2.25 diesel is not very well loved these days, what with having a top speed of about 3mph, but they do go on forever (or maybe it just seems like it). They don't have much power so the rest of the car will be relatively unstressed too.

Don't rush the gears - remember it's technology that is basically pre-war so don't compare it to a Ford Mondeo and you won't be disappointed.

The yellow and red levers work like this:

On the road you're usually in high-range and rear-wheel drive.

Pushing the yellow lever down (which you can do whilst moving) engages the front wheels.

To disengage, stop the vehicle and move the red lever forwards, then back again - the yellow lever should pop back up.

Off-road you usually want low range - for this you need to stop the vehicle and push the red lever forwards. This engages the front axle and drops the gearing right down. To disengage, stop and pull the lever back.

Of course, if you have free-wheeling hubs on the front axle (which many do) you'll need to engage them too otherwise you won't get drive to the front wheels.

As has been said, there is no centre differential on Series so you must not drive in 4x4 on hard surfaces or you'll break something.

My old 2.25 diesel S3 had an overdrive and would easaly do 70mph which is supprsing as it burnt oil at a gallon a week, the timing chain dround the sound of the engine and there was something wrong if you ever saw the oil pressure light go out.

But the engine never faild to start and would always get me home even when someone put 3 bars of soap in my tank.

Green is deff the oil pressure light

Wipers are little turn switches on the motors themselves,individual so you have to turn each one on!

Main beam should be a foot switch just to the left of the clutch pedal.

Cant think of anymore! even tho i drove a 2a about a week ago :o

Steve

Series transfer box selection is with the 2 (yellow and red) knobs, Fridges description of how this works is correct except that the red lever is 2wd high range when FORWARD (front of vehicle), to engage 4wd high range depress the yellow knob and dont touch the red one, to then disengage 4wd in high range, stop and pull the red lever right back and the yellow knob should pop back up, then return red lever to the forward position. To engage 4wd low range, simply pull the red lever right back and ignore yellow knob. Just for clarity, the middle position on the red lever is neutral on the transfer box.

The lights inside the gauges - inside the speedo on the left hand side you have oil pressure warning light, if this comes on dont ignore it, switch the engine off and first check oil level as this is often the problem, the middle blue one is "main" beam, brightest setting for head lights and the right one should be cold start, choke warning on a petrol, glow plug light on a diesel?, then in the other cluster of gauges to the right, there should be a red "charge" light, as said, this illuminates whent the alternator, or dynamo depending which fitted is not putting out sufficient power.

Last, the glow plugs are usually used for 10-20 seconds on average, condition of the plugs and engine will influence this

And yes, it is a great vehicle :lol:

p.s. the arrangement of transfer levers is definately correct for my series, i'm hoping its correct for all applications and i didnt mean to be rude in correcting fridge cos im sure he knows a lot more than me in general :P

My old 2.25 diesel S3 had an overdrive and would easaly do 70mph which is supprsing as it burnt oil at a gallon a week, the timing chain dround the sound of the engine and there was something wrong if you ever saw the oil pressure light go out.

But the engine never faild to start and would always get me home even when someone put 3 bars of soap in my tank.

Go on - why might someone put three bars of soap in your tank??

At the risk of appearing completely anal:

, 2nd below, 3rd a long throw to the upper left,

err .. upper right

Lights inside gauges: Red is the charge light. When lit, it means that the alternator is generating insifficient charge for the battery.

alternator?...generator from this era

red lever forwards, then back again - the yellow lever should pop back up.

wrong way - red is forwards in the normal High Range

If you have the original gearbox it is a durable but anachronistic one with no synchronisation cones which means you have to double de-clutch on shifts. Put the clutch in, move the gear lever to neutral, let the clutch out, puthe clutch in and move the gear lever to the next desired gear position.

no synchromesh on 1st and 2nd, but yes on 3rd and 4th

My old 2.25 diesel S3 had an overdrive and would easaly do 70mph

Surely you must mean 70kph

Surely you must mean 70kph

Why would he mean that?

I was in a 109 a couple of weeks and getting very jealous at the fact that it was cruising at 70mph on the motorway (74 indicated on the speedo, but GPS said it was only 70mph) That was without an overdrive.

Maximum I can get in my 88" series to is 65 mph, but only downhill, slightest hill makes mine wheeze!

To all of you who replied to my questions, Thank you! Now I'm not so fearful of damaging something . It truly is showing me to be a great vehicle. It's like a street legal tractor. Now, if my new president won't take so much from me that I have to sell it to pay my taxes ,I can see myself owning this or one like it for a long time. Thanks again. Mark

To all of you who replied to my questions, Thank you! Now I'm not so fearful of damaging something . It truly is showing me to be a great vehicle. It's like a street legal tractor. Now, if my new president won't take so much from me that I have to sell it to pay my taxes ,I can see myself owning this or one like it for a long time. Thanks again. Mark

Speedy - you're not a plumber are you?