Weight of a V8

Rocket

Hi Guys

I'm sure someone will know the answer to this

What does a 3.5 V8 Efi motor weigh (roughly) if complete with all ancilliarys but no manifolds?

I need the same info for a transfer box and axles complete without springs or wheels.

cheers

Hi Guys

I'm sure someone will know the answer to this

What does a 3.5 V8 Efi motor weigh (roughly) if complete with all ancilliarys but no manifolds?

I need the same info for a transfer box and axles complete without springs or wheels.

cheers

ummm.... been lifting one at one end getting it onto blocks in my shed, wouldn't have wanted to lift it in one so guessing 80Kg? have some bathroom scales that I may be able to get under it tomorrow if no one else comes up with an answer by then

ummm.... been lifting one at one end getting it onto blocks in my shed, wouldn't have wanted to lift it in one so guessing 80Kg? have some bathroom scales that I may be able to get under it tomorrow if no one else comes up with an answer by then

Wikipedia puts it at 170 kg (375 lb) dry weight. No idea whether that includes ancillaries - it's for an early 3.5, so a later car with extra bits would offset the saving from not having the intake manifold I guess. No idea how accurate that is - wikipedia is notoriously unreliable. This site (www.v8church.com) says only 320lb depending on ancillaries - it appears to be just someone's home page, so in the absence of more reliable confirmation take that with a pinch of salt too.

Wikipedia puts it at 170 kg (375 lb) dry weight. No idea whether that includes ancillaries - it's for an early 3.5, so a later car with extra bits would offset the saving from not having the intake manifold I guess. No idea how accurate that is - wikipedia is notoriously unreliable. This site (www.v8church.com) says only 320lb depending on ancillaries - it appears to be just someone's home page, so in the absence of more reliable confirmation take that with a pinch of salt too.

Thanks, so around 150 Kgs then which is much more than a safe two man lift. Mmmmm.......... OK engine hoist needed to get it into and out of my trailer.

In case anyone hadn't guessed I'm looking at a motor transplant. Does anyone know how much headroom is required to get a V8 out of/ into a standard 90 (on 7.50 x 16s)?

cheers

Thanks, so around 150 Kgs then which is much more than a safe two man lift. Mmmmm.......... OK engine hoist needed to get it into and out of my trailer.

In case anyone hadn't guessed I'm looking at a motor transplant. Does anyone know how much headroom is required to get a V8 out of/ into a standard 90 (on 7.50 x 16s)?

They're definitely more than I'd try lifting between a couple of people. If you've got a suitable bar (say a scaffolding pole) you could perhaps sling it from that and lift it with two people at each end?

Not sure about headroom - we needed lots when we did mine, but that was mainly the hoist arrangement (Robhybrid's DIY digger attachment). We had a barn and a four post lift to play with so we weren't worrying too much about the ceiling.

RPI put them at 230kg 'fully dressed' RPI

To get around your lift height it may help to remove the front wheels and lower the vehicle to the axle whilst you swing the engine in.

Now there is some lateral thinking. Nice one Steve, I like that!!!! :)

I have lifted a V8 full with a mate

I know two people that have lifted them complete into the back of my 90 in the past I could never manage it.

(I would not want to spill there pints)

Jules can you put me in touch they sound like handy blokes to know (assuming they are actually blokes)!!! :lol::lol: