4.6 Rangy head gaskets

Les Henson

The coils are connected via the multi plug on the r/h side of the engine ok, it's just that there's just a bunch of plug leads and two of them are marked No7. I looked at all pictures or parts thereof of the coil pack in the manual to try to determine which leads go where, but can't quite figure it out. If I took 'pot luck', would it damage the ECU, or just run rough/backfire? I could figure it out eventually, but it would take a few shots to get it right and I don't want to damage anything expensive.

Les. :)

Just to add, if you can see the coil wiring (assuming pre '99):

green = coil 5-8

Purple = coil 2-3

Orange = coil 1-6

blue = coil 4-7

I read that as wrong.

Try Blue = 1 & 6

Orange = 2 & 3

Purple = 4 & 7

Green = 5 & 8

imspanners, I think that's 25/100 you got with your version :-)

I'm not sure it helps, unless the wiring to the coil pack is laid out in such a manner as to associate a particular wire colour to a particular pair of outlets.

Les, sucking eggs again, but do you appreciate this lump works on the wasted spack principle?

This means that you can swap lead 1 with lead 6 and it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Similarly swap 2 & 3 ... etc.

Can match the output pairs to the input wire colours?

I wouldn't expect any misconnection to cause a problem, unless the engine was run for a long time with a permanent miss, when the cats would complain about swallowing neat petrol.

That's all for the moment.

EDIT

Back again

I struck lucky at Rangerovers.net: "The cylinder number for each lead and coil in the pack is clearly marked on the coil pack mounting bracket. Walter put white paint in each of the stamped numbers to make reading them easier after disconnecting its leads. "

Go to http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/coil4.html for the full article on troubleshooting a faulty coil installation.

D

Just to add, if you can see the coil wiring (assuming pre '99):

green = coil 5-8

Purple = coil 2-3

Orange = coil 1-6

blue = coil 4-7

Blue = 1 & 6

Orange = 2 & 3

Purple = 4 & 7

Green = 5 & 8

Geez, sorry, I wouldn't mind but I wrote them down correctly?? DOH! :blink::huh:

"It is better to appear to be a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt" :ph34r:

The reason for suggesting the wire colours:

Attach the plug leads in any coil tower,

Insert plugs or spark testers in the ends of the plug leads (making sure they are well earthed)

power the coil up and momentarily earth each coloured wire

this will create a spark in the associated coil - plugs.

Then relocate the correct leads to those coil towers and continue until all cylinders are found.

Does that get me off??

:unsure: