Paddy_SP

Disc shields - on or off?

My project Landie continues to make headway, but I'm not sure whether to fit the disc shields or not... The old ones were paper-thin as the result of rampaging rust, so I bought new ones and had them powder-coated in an attempt to make them last longer. In truth, however, I'd rather leave them off. What does the board think about doing this?

I'd leave them off; stops a multitude of squeaks from mud and crud trapped between discs and the shield.

Mark

I vote for leave off. They just trap mud and stones. Also makes checking the condition of discs and pads easier.....you just get underneath with a torch :)

I agree

Keep them off cos mud will only build up between them and the discs. Just hose the brakes off after any heavy mud runs!

Gentlemen - I thank you for your combined wisdom - off it is! :D

Steady, Bogmonster has not yet replied and I bet he votes for keeping them, mind you how often are you going to be Laning in the Falklands :P

I vote for leaving them on ;) Had them on the 90 since it was new, and I get noticeably less brake pad wear as a result. You do get the odd stone trapped but it's not that often really.

I used to go through a set of pads about every 6-9 months in the hybrid, now they last 18months to 2 years.

So if you spend a lot of time in mud then I'd vote to keep them on for the better pad wear.

Cheers

Steve

I removed them off my old Defender, as they were always getting stones stuck behind them.. they are still on the disco, but as soon as they either rust trough or fall off they won't be getting replaced with new ones...

I would keep them fitted & have done for the past 18 years of 90/110 ownership, but then I live in the countryside with narrow roads with muddy edges.

The problem with removing them is they keep the water/mud from the opposite side wheel as it sprays sideways at road speeds.

Keep them on if you use you vehicle as the maker intended, otherwise brake pads will wear rapidly and un evenly!

That's something I haven't noticed.

Although 18,000 miles a year changing the pads every two years I wouldn't notice would I ?

mike

My Biased answer ? - scrap them, they jam mud and stones off road, your pads may wear a tad quicker, then again you can clean them out far easier

My unbiased answer would be go 50/50 and just bin one :P:lol:

Nige

Nige

OK - I'll compromise - I'll keep them (on a shelf in the garage) - how's that? :D

That's something I haven't noticed.

Although 18,000 miles a year changing the pads every two years I wouldn't notice would I ?

mike

I guess you roads are some what kinder on brakes than what Im used too!

I guess you roads are some what kinder on brakes than what Im used too!

Yes I would suppose so....

img6432zr5.th.jpg

img8132ew9.th.jpg

mike

Guest diesel_jim

Hey Mike... you'd have a smoother ride if you drove on the tarmac to the right of that sign! :lol::lol::lol:

That tar often is covered with sand.....Notice how nice and smooth it is...They are rebuilding that road. The job should have been started now.

mike

That's what I've done :blink:

I rebuilt the drivers side hub to install a new swivel ball, and categorically decided that having the shield on one side, but not on the other gives you the best of both worlds!! :ph34r: I haven't noticed any ill effects, but I shall be comparing pads at next service interval for differences. I reckon I'll be taking the poo plate off the passenger side when I get a sunny saturday with a spare hour in it (the days are so short now :( )