defender 1984 rear cross member

hello everybody

cheers for looking at my post i was hoping maybe you could help me out

at the moment i am in the decorroding and re protecting phase of my 1984 defender project and so far all is going well.

this weekend just gone i tackled the passengar side chassis rail and that side of the rear cross member however when i took my needle scaler to it, it revealed a few holes, basically on the inside and outside side walls and under neath, i looked at the other side which is of a similar condition also the actual cross member has got a case of severe de lamination corrosion above the tow hitch attachment and either side so i decide rather than pi55 arround trying to patch and repair i might as well replace

what i was hoping was that if anybody out there has replaced said x member how much should i expect to be paying for a new rear one with extensions a quick look on the net shows about 120 - 150 quid, and is there any suppliers to be wary of as somtimes i have experienced pattern parts that are really awkward to fit in that the dimensions are slightly off from the original.

i might have some photos but not sure anyhow will not be able to upload them untill this evening

cheers for looking

will

Hi,

Altho not fitted it yet i made one from "C" section RSJ and to tbh its prob abit ott as it's bloody strong and heavy and i could've prob got away with a piece half the size.

Was fairly easy to make as just marked out nearest size section to original and removed triangles each end, cut about 3/4 thru along bottom edge, bent up with G clamps and plate to keep it all straight and welded it together.

Just got to make ext pieces which will then join it to chassis rails and cut slot for winch which i'm not too sure where to cut as not decided on which winch to use yet but nothing too worrying.

As has been said on a recent post on here too, alot of the replacement ones are not that good quality either and for what an off cut of channel will cost its gotta be worth a go !

hello

cheers for your advice Les and Mel,

Les

ive seen your post over the weekend and had a proper look at it today by what you mentioned at the end do you suggest a bearmach part as it will be the closest fit

mel

i see where your coming from by fabricating your own however i have very little welding experience and that would be a problem for me to make my own, where as a pattern part although it may be a ball ache to get the extensions to fit over correctly appears only to be welding box section to box section at the join and i think i could manage that after a bit of practice

a picture is below althogh it does not look like a lot it is worse underneath, and the area arround the tow hitch is de laminating as well it just seems like i would spend as much money putting it right as it would cost to replace it

When I renewed my rear member I had to renew the rails to just behind the spring mounts. I got a local company to fold me some "C" section to encapsulate the old chassis rail. Didnt cost a great deal & made a nightmare job reasonably easy. Also made my own custom xmember whilst at it using 6x2.5" approx box. Managed to utilise a winch mount at the same time.

Once you start chasing the rails for a good place to weld, I think youll be suprised how bad the corrosion is. Mine was also an 84 vintage.

Adrian

sorry messed up picture upload some how

post-10116-1226341627_thumb.jpg

Looking at the picture it looks as if a replacement x-member with extensions has already been fitted. See how the longitudinal seam on the top face of the lower chassis rail n the pic ends where the extension piece sleeves over the original chassis.

Not impossible to fit another replacement, but might need some tricky fabrication if all traces of the replacement are to be removed whic woul be my preference.

i have a replacement rear crossmember that i have just cut off the back of my old chassis - its about 4yrs old and came with long extensions and is in sound condition if your interested and going for replacement. it still has the end of my chassis legs welded into it as i cut it off with the maximum legs possible

I can confirm the state of JST's Xmember. Solid and worth having if you are going to put another 1 on. He's hardly had the truck out in the sun let alone used in anger :P