Terra Firma 2" lift Kit fitted to Disco 300TDi

filthy

because thats the difference between a lift kit and an offroad +2" articulation kit.

nowhere in any of the comics that advertise 2" kits does it state you will get 2" more articulation! And as we all know there are two factors limiting articulation - shock length and spring rate.

shocks too short reduce or dont give you any extra droop and stiff springs stopping you getting full compression.

either way you might end up with a lift kit that gives you LESS articulation than you had with the standard landrover suspension setup!

However they do what they say on the tin - Lift +2"

thats why i would never ever buy a 'kit' from a supplier.

Get your springs off and put your axle on the bumpstop. Measure the distance from the shock mounts and this gives you your maximum compressed length, then speak to procomp or rough country etc and ask for a set of shocks with that compressed length. This will give you the biggest shocks you can get without damaging them.

then get the landrover spring rates from the link in the tech archive and choose a set of springs of simillar spring rate - but a couple of inches longer.

Bingo, you have more droop from longer shocks and a 2" lift with simillar spring rates.

Jobs a good un - costs half the price of a lift kit and actually works. Plus you can often not get stung by the insurance company for aftermarket tat - as you are using Gen LR springs!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Nicks 90,

Well, the end to the sorry saga is,

It took 2 months, several shocks & 2 sets of rear springs + some £300 of wasted money & time to prove beyond doubt that the TERRA FIRMA set up is a dogs breakfast.

Fernside Garage in Poole/Bournemouth failed me miserably & had my Disco for 2 weeks & only managed to swap a pair of shocks for that time. . . . and scratched my new shocks in the process.

Result -

The sqr route of sod all.

In the end I collected the vehicle & 2 weeks later managed to get a refund & no more.

So I'm sueing them for expenses/consequential losses in the new year.

Frogs Island & Fernside have proved to be as much use to me as a kick up the arse.

SHAME ON YOU BOTH.

I have 20 years of motoring left in me to rubbish these second rate / rip-off outfits at every opportunity.

• 1 year later...

just fitted my second kit to my 300tdi Defender, Terra Firma are hard to beat for the price,the other set on my disco has taken a real pasting for two years now and never let mr down, just sounds to me mate as if you got shafted by your local garage, either that or there storeman did not do his job Properly.

still they are good kits i do all my own repairs etc so that i know its done right, i have 20 years in the transport industry and i know what goes on, i will post some pics if i can work out how to .

Britpart :o

I wouldn't fit Britpart water to my washer bottle

Nige

Nige

I am looking at fitting some water to my discovery, but I must say I am a bit of a novice on Land Rovers, any tips on how to fit water to a discovery 300 Tdi

What kind of water do you use to fit to your Land Rover??

Cheers in advance

Eeyore