Bonnet Sound Proof Mat

bm52

I have been very happy with ordinary self adhesive sounddeadening foam with foil on the non-sticky side.

Two 50x100x3 cm sheets was enough for my bonnet. I measured and cut so the foam fits in the hollows between the frame of the bonnet. Thereby the adhesive has a uniformly flat surface to adhere to.

Before fitting I removed the bonnet, soaked it in first engine degreaser, then brake cleaner and finally cellulose-thinner, with lots of scrubbing at each stage, in order to get a perfectly clean painted metal surface.

It has been there for approx. one year now and has done wonders for the noise level in the cab.

Total price approx £25 including cleaning materials

I have been very happy with ordinary self adhesive sounddeadening foam with foil on the non-sticky side.

Two 50x100x3 cm sheets was enough for my bonnet.

Where did you get the foam from? There's loads of stuff out there - ebay etc, but i'd rather buy some that works!

Two 50x100x3 cm sheets was enough for my bonnet.

I'm interested in who supplied this too both for under the bonnet and for the rear wheel arches (under the carpet). But surely this stuff isn't 3cm thick.

Where did you get the foam from? There's loads of stuff out there - ebay etc, but i'd rather buy some that works!

I bought the foam from Biltema. They have shops in Sweden, Norway and Denmark. It's a wonderful shop for Land Rover owners ;-)

http://www.biltema.dk/products/product.asp...p;iItemId=83277

However the product is common generic engine compartment noise dampening material made for small boats. In the past I have bought similar sheets from boating supply shops. The picture in the link above should give you an idea.

I believe that getting the surface absolutely clean and cutting the form into pieces that will lay flat against the metal is vital for succes.

has anyone tried this from Woolies

Sound Deadening → Felt

Part No:292

Price:

£12.00 inc vat Description:

Approx 13mm (1/2") thick. 137cm (54") wide. One side coated in black latex solution. Fire retardant to BS FMVSS302 A really good dense felt for use in engine bays or under carpet. Our most popular felt. Per metre