Upgrading from sealed headlights

Perfect time to ditch the candle power for something a bit better, as one bulb has blown. Jeesus, I would so like to see where I was going at night!!!! :blink: Is there an aftermarket straight swop?

PS. One sealed headlight unit for sale. Slightly dim but watertight!

(I can understand making a unit watertight, but its a headlight for dashed sake!!!, prime function to illuminate the road!!! If 'watertight' is the main concern then why don't they design the bl**dy door seals the same way!!!!!!) :angry: [/rantmodeoff]......

...back to headlights....... :)

Easy job, you can order a pair (with bulbs!) from paddocks for about £20. They go straight in with no fuss.

You might want to consider getting some replacement plastic bowls at the same time, mine were in a bad state when I swapped over and I only ended up having to do it later. Plastic ones are £7 each.

Final tip is to get some plumbers mait or boss white/green and seal the bulb into the housing with it. This hopefully means when you go wading you minimise the amount of water that goes in. Best to do this before wading, if you do it afterwards you can't get the lens fully dry and then it goes steamy inside because the water can't escape.

Might be worth checking your earthing though since that was the underlying problem with my sealed beams.

Are these the ones?

Crystal Halogen Headlamp Conversion Kit

pm678.jpg

It has a note with it:

NOTE: Due to these lamps not being 'E marked' they can only legally be fitted to pre 1974 vehicles.

Is that due to headlight adjustment, or what? Whats the difference? Will general MOT guy notice?

Or are you talking about these?

Halogen headlights - pair RHD to 94MY -to KA922614

rtc4615k.jpg

It was the lower ones I got. The crystal are not E marked, so technically an MoT failure if fitted to a post 74 as they say. Your guess is as good as mine if they would spot and fail for it though :)

longest part of the job on the defender is getting the stupid plastic surrounds off, you have to remove both the indicator and side light to get the headlight out. I've put series headlamp panels on because of that.

You just need 2 x STC1209 headlights from any LR parts supplier, and two halogen bulbs to go in them, cheap and makes sooo much difference :)

The genuine ones are Wipac IIRC and will be available as OEM from lots of places, we get ours from Bearmach but I guess any of those sorts of places, Britpart etc, will all do the OEM Wipac ones, or similar alternatives.

Good headlights cost money.

Look at either Hella or Marechal

Hella are about 30 quid a unit.

Then change your wiring.

In my opinion the Defender wiring for headlights isn't up to the job.

I don't wan't to spend ages writing a long post that's already available elsewhere.

So please !! Nip over to www.lro.com.

Go to Defender archives and take my post out if it will help you.

Admin.

Sorry if that information is already on here.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house.

I have original quartz ones on my SV90 - and they are brilliant (literally). So far I have bought two sets which were supposed to be the same (one from LR and the other, Wipac from Dunsfold) for the other 90 and both were dissapointing by comparison (I probably still have both sets kicking around somewhere). 90 still has lame sealed beams - but it's a V8 so the waterproofing is accademic.

The front glass on the ones on the SV is very flat, whereas both the replacements were more rounded. Anyone know what the part number of the flat ones is? My local dealer thought the ones they ordered were the ones - but they turned out to be rounded.

Any ideas much appreciated - they walk all over anything else I've seen on a defender to the extent that the 1/2 power 'side light' is as usable on the road as dip on the other 90.

If someone can accuratly determine the part number - this would be my absolute top tip for headlights!

Si

Si

The ones fitted to new vehicles are Wipac Quadoptic ones I am sure, part number is STC1209 for the light unit plus you need the bulb of course, I think they are 589783 or something, not sure about the second p/no though

The sealed beams are more rounded whereas "genuine" Wipac ones are flatter lenses

Edited to say I just went and had a look at mine (original factory lights) and they are Wipac as I thought

Edited by BogBuster

The problem I found with Wipacs was there is a "hole" top right on the main beam pattern.

That was why I went to Hella.

I never used seal beams in any of my cars.I went straight from BPF to european then in 1960 to Quartz Iodine.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !

Never occurred to me to look at what it said on the glass at the front!

They are Wipac Quadoptic and have "Series 397" at the bottom. The new 'genuine' rubbish ones have "Series 1??" (There is a chip where the ? is)

I wonder if the ones supplied to LR are slightly different to the ones supplied to after-market dealers as 'genuine'?

The rubbish ones were ordered using the LR Part number. Maybe it's time to buy some from a main dealer & hang the overdraft!

Si