New wheels too thick

Started to fit my 'new' fleabay wheels and find that they are too thick making the studs too short.

I've seen a thread on here I think but can't remember what was said nor can I find it on a search.

I think I know what the answer is so how easy is it to remove the studs?? :rolleyes:

Should be able to see what I mean in this pic

post-10430-1226964532_thumb.jpg

Started to fit my 'new' fleabay wheels and find that they are too thick making the studs too short.

I've seen a thread on here I think but can't remember what was said nor can I find it on a search.

I think I know what the answer is so how easy is it to remove the studs?? :rolleyes:

You're probably alright using them as is now.

order new studs for a 130, remove the hub and disc ass. remove disc from hub, with a big hammer you should be able to knock them back through. you may need to screw the nut on until its flush with the end, incase itstight just to stop the end doming over and not fitting through the hole!! hope this helps.

As far as I can see, there's nothing wrong with the studs on your hubs... as far as I know, they are all the same length anyway. Don't forget that your wheel nuts are chamfered so there is far more thread depth actually on on the stud than you think.

I run Discovery 5 spoke steels on my 110 - they are the same thickness as your Wolf-spec rims in the picture. Mine have been fitted for the last seven years on a truck that weighs in at not far off 3 tonnes and is used regularly off road - I've had no issues with them whatsoever.

You don't really want the stud protuding from the wheelnut anyway - you get a build of road dirt and corrosion which makes removing them a pain.

Matt

XD/Wolf studs are EXACTLY the same length as older 90/110 so changing them makes no difference, the difference comes from the fact that the wolf wheel centre is thicker than the 5.5 inch wide standard wheels & the drum brake thickness makes the studs look short, BUT the studs are only different in thread type -- nothing else.

I bought a full set of XD studs to replace as I believed the XD studs were longer but found that it made no change, I trial fitted a wheel with the brake drum off & then the stud/nut when tightend was the same as the front wheel stud/nuts, so it's down to the drum brake thickness as mentioned above.

photo of my rear XD/Wolf wheels on my DRUM Braked rear axle on my 110. Never had a loose nut or broken stud, these have been fitted since 1998 & my 110 has never failed a MOT because of them.

IMG_0345.jpg

Edited by western
phot replaced

Looks like they'll be staying on then :P

Really do look nice on the 110, far better than the crappy wellers I just took off. Looks more heavy duty and go anywhere now :D

I'll torque them up and leave it at that, I think the problem is more psycolgical than anything anyway.

Ta for the support :)

Just a thought....are disco studs the same ?

if so how do they fit thick alloys ?

M16 Wheel Stud Applications -

[b]Part Number	Thread x Pitch x Length		Model and Chassis Numbers[/b]

FRC7577		M16 x 1.5mm x 54mm			Defender XD (Wolf), Armoured & Heavy Duty 110/130

FRC6137		M16 x 1.5mm x 39mm			Defender to (V) KA930455 (Disc/Drum)

FRC5926		M16 x 1.5mm x 39mm			Defender from (V) LA930456 to (V) 2A631135 (Disc/Disc)

Discovery from (V) FA393361 to (V) WA799999

Range Rover Classic from (V) CA to (V) HA610293

Range Rover Classic from (V) JA610294

RUF000020	M16 x 1.5mm x 39mm			Defender from (V) 2A631136 (Disc/Disc)

RUF500010	M16 x 1.5mm x 39mm			Defender from (V) 7A000001 (Disc/Disc)

Note: FRC5926 has been superseded by RUF000020

Paul.

Top man Paul, that explains very well, so my 110 has these

FRC6137 M16 x 1.5mm x 39mm Defender to (V) KA930455 (Disc/Drum)

& these are the other set of 20 I've got [but there not XD/Wolf as I thought]

FRC5926 M16 x 1.5mm x 39mm Defender from (V) LA930456 to (V) 2A631135 (Disc/Disc)

Top man Paul, that explains very well, so my 110 has these

FRC6137 M16 x 1.5mm x 39mm Defender to (V) KA930455 (Disc/Drum)

& these are the other set of 20 I've got [but there mot XD/Wolf as I thought]

FRC5926 M16 x 1.5mm x 39mm Defender from (V) LA930456 to (V) 2A631135 (Disc/Disc

Ralph, that's correct, except that most (if not, all) Wolf XD have FRC5926 fitted :blink:

My 110 (FA model year, same as yours) has FRC6137, I made the mistake of thinking that FRC5926 would be longer - they're not, they're identical :( - fortunately, I only bought a box of 5, which I've since used for other things.

FRC7577 isn't in EPC or Microcat, but it came up on my Dealer's parts enquiry computer as fitted to - Defender XD, Heavy Duty 110/130 and Armoured Applications, it also came up with £8.00 + VAT each :o - that was a couple (or so) years ago, and I now believe that they're about £15.00 + VAT each :o:o

Paddock's are selling the Britpart version of FRC7577 for £1.82 +VAT each (Tony passed-on that tip in his 'Longer Studs/Stazworks Wheel' thread that he's linked to earlier in this thread)

I bought a set of 20, back in August, which came to £48.65 incl. Carriage & VAT

To the best of my knowledge, NO Wolf XD's, HD 110/130's have left the factory with FRC7577 fitted.

As these studs are 15mm longer than the standard studs, I suspect that they've only ever been factory fitted to Armoured vehicles, fitted with non-standard HD/Run-Flat wheel rims, but I've never been able to get near enough to one with my Vernier Calipers :rolleyes:

The later part numbered studs AFAIK are dimensionally identical and interchangeable with the earlier part numbered studs.

Paul.

• 1 year later...

Dragging up this old thread as i've just needed to answer this although my wheels haven't come yet. I have 6 x ANR4583PM on their way.

My hubs must have FRC5926 fitted at the moment. Off to take some pictures when they do and before and after on the standard studs. If they don't go on as below (6mm) then i'll order some FRC7577 which are damn expensive even at the best price i can find.

A M16 x 1.5 bolt (stud in this case) needs 5.6mm of thread engagment to work fully. So as long as your wheel nut goes on 6mm the wheel will stay on ! Source is ISO965 which i've seen all over and by far the easiest place to access the info is here on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia ISO965

Hopefully this will help people searching, as this does seem to be the best thread anywhere on the subject even if its title is a bit cryptic. Then again LR4x4 is normally the best place :rolleyes:

At the moment the cheapest place to get FRC7577 is from TLRC and they are £2.63 each ex VT and delivey so about £78 all in. :o

Dragging up this old thread as i've just needed to answer this although my wheels haven't come yet. I have 6 x ANR4583PM on their way.

My hubs must have FRC5926 fitted at the moment. Off to take some pictures when they do and before and after on the standard studs. If they don't go on as below (6mm) then i'll order some FRC7577 which are damn expensive even at the best price i can find.

A M16 x 1.5 bolt (stud in this case) needs 5.6mm of thread engagment to work fully. So as long as your wheel nut goes on 6mm the wheel will stay on ! Source is ISO965 which i've seen all over and by far the easiest place to access the info is here on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia ISO965

Hopefully this will help people searching, as this does seem to be the best thread anywhere on the subject even if its title is a bit cryptic. Then again LR4x4 is normally the best place :rolleyes:

At the moment the cheapest place to get FRC7577 is from TLRC and they are £2.63 each ex VT and delivey so about £78 all in. :o

Have you given Paddocks a call for their price on FRC7577, they were charging £1.82 + VAT (each), two years ago.

Also have a look at White90's thread about changing wheelstuds for FRC7577 -

Wheel Stud Replacement

Wikipedia ISO965

Be careful here, 5.6mm (about four threads) is a minimum thread engagement. This standard is for "general" use, which covers many applications, and also note the recommended maximum thread engagement is 16mm.

While we don't use fine threads where I work (medium to large gear manufacture) unless its for special applications, the rule of thumb is 1.5 x diameter engagement for tapped holes and we never use thin nuts, which is roughly what the 5.6mm equates to at that size. A standard nut for M16x2.0 is about 15mm thick if I remember correctly.

Thats good to know and i've seen something less clear elsewhere so thanks for the clarity.

I think once my wheels are here (carrier failed to deliver) that i'll see what its like and will buy new studs.

You can never get enough length..........:P

especially if its M16....:lol: