Noisy Wipers

Hi all,

Another wiper-problem…

My wipers are very noisy (Defender 90 MY2002 )

When operated the mechanism makes loud noises, sounds as if part of the mechanism has worked loose. But when I checked last time (had to replace the wiper motor) I couldn’t see anything wrong, all nuts and bolts were nice and tight.

Any idea’s before I rip the dashboard open once again ?

Thanks in advance !

Edwin.

If you get a clicky noise on each wipe, its probably the wheel boxes and cable that are worn. Around 2002 LR changed the wipers but I guess they still have the spiral cable drive?? If so, try regreasing the cable. Take off the arms from the spindles, release the cable at the motor end and pull the cable all the way out. Regrease the cable and refit. If that doesn't cure it its new cable and wheel boxes.

The blades by the way seldom last more than a couple of years. If yours are the originals, its time for a change! The rubber won't be very flexible and this will load the mechanism and show up any slack, hence noise...

If the motor is noisy it will either be the big gear in the drive mechanism or its bearing or the motor main bearings. All straightforward to strip, clean and regrease.

Thanks Simon !

Will try and grease the cable and the wheely bits...........off comes the dash again ! <_<

Cheers,

Edwin.

My pet hate about Land Rovers is the agricultural wiper arms....has anyone come up with an alternative model which might scrape a little bit more moisture off the screen?

Neil

Thats why i fitted a 3rd wiper to mine... :D

What third wiper :o ?! Can you please tell us more or are you just pulling my leg ?

Simonb - you lucky man, my blades never last more than half a year :( - I change twice each year once just before 'winter' and once just after winter. The sun dust/sand and dry (ie. no humidty) air kill the rubber on the blades so fast it aint funny.

Adam

Nope, drivers one stays where it is, middle one goes through new hole drilled exactly on vehicle centre line, lhs one goes through the left most blanked left hand drive hole - or something like that, did it a few years back. Take off 1 of the arms and measure it out!

Get an extra wheel box. Cut drive tube and flare ends, otherwise they will pop out of wheel box clamps. Use another standard arm, drivers and centre are 11" blades, left most one is 10".

Clears more of the passenger side of the screen and you don't get such a big "dead" non wiped bit in the middle. Hardly ever need to use high speed setting any more. Also fitted a 2nd washer jet thingy so have quad squirts! :lol:

As for blades, Bosch ones seem ok. Chaep Ha**ords ones don't last 1 summer!

Good idea to strip the motor and regrease the bearings as one which is past its best may not cope with the extra load.

Hi all

Fitting a third arm sounds good and I would say the motor is more than capable of the increased load but what about that wire drive cable ? You could have wipers that moved in opposite directions !

I would love to fit a more modern wiper system that does away with that cable drive which is also still used on some forklifts !

Anyone know more about the post 2002 wipers fitted now ?

The wheel boxes determine direction. On a series, one of them is fitted the other side of the drive tube to get the "clap hands" wipe. If u fit another one as already used on a 90/110, they all go the same way! :P

Second that about replacing the wheelboxes. Simple job and makes much quieteness. Also while you are at it, grease the drive cable well and chuck some in the wiper moter itself. Also check for free play in the motor, which is easily adjusted by turning a screw.

Log