Discovery 2 on road suspension upgrades

kingo30

Hi I am new to the forums so firstly I would like to say hi to everyone...

I am looking for advice on updating the suspension on my 2000 discovery 2 v8 es with ace and self leveling, Ive had the disco about 6 months now and have converted to it to lpg but I am a little dissapointed with the on road performance ie its a bit bouncy and feel all bumps.

I have had a shogun and grand cheokee previous to this and i must say they deliver better on road performance than the disco, but overall I am more than pleased with it.

I am thinking of changing the suspension and steering dampners to Bilsteins and all the bushes to poly bushes.

My question is, is there going to be much difference between the standard setup is it going to be like night and day difference ???

The wife aint to keen on driving it due to the ride does not fill her with confidence, I use it mainly and dont really do any off road driving other than dirt tracks around farmers fields when I am shooting so dont need its full off road capabilities.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Cheers Guys.

Welcome :)

There are a couple of possible things

Do you have 16" or 18" tyres? My limited experience of the 18in variant is that they give an extremely choppy ride and lousy steering (tramlining) the 16in types are much better on both counts. I run slightly oversize 255/70R16 BFGs on my D2 and the ride is not only better than D2s on standard tyres (235/70R16 Michelins mostly) but much better than the 18in version and any Shogun I have ever been in, not tried a Jeep so can't comment on that.

I have driven ACE and non ACE vehicles back to back and the ACE seems to make the ride quite choppy as well, theres not much you can do about that as taking it off would be quite a big job.

I don't think changing the bushes would make a huge difference unless they are quite tired, and I suspect most aftermarket dampers will probably sharpen up the handling and harden up the ride so may not give what you want.

Welcome :)

There are a couple of possible things

Do you have 16" or 18" tyres? My limited experience of the 18in variant is that they give an extremely choppy ride and lousy steering (tramlining) the 16in types are much better on both counts. I run slightly oversize 255/70R16 BFGs on my D2 and the ride is not only better than D2s on standard tyres (235/70R16 Michelins mostly) but much better than the 18in version and any Shogun I have ever been in, not tried a Jeep so can't comment on that.

I have driven ACE and non ACE vehicles back to back and the ACE seems to make the ride quite choppy as well, theres not much you can do about that as taking it off would be quite a big job.

I don't think changing the bushes would make a huge difference unless they are quite tired, and I suspect most aftermarket dampers will probably sharpen up the handling and harden up the ride so may not give what you want.

Thanks for the prompt reply its has the 18" tyres on it and it does tramline a lot (think thats what puts the wife off) as you seem always to be making steering adjustments, maybe I will just have to live with it as I wouldnt want to change the wheels unless i tried one with the smaller wheels to see if its worth it first.

I should try one with 16 on it and preferably some better tyres (mine has BFG ATs, Gen Grabber AT2s are another good option) as the difference is like night and day. I hate the 18s and you can probably get 16in rims fairly cheaply as any of either a D2, or a Range Rover P38a will fit (same stud pattern and many RR owners "upgrade" to 18s)

Purely personal taste but I think any low profile alloy/tyre combination looks a bit poofy on a Land Rover and the 16in ones look better!

I should try one with 16 on it and preferably some better tyres (mine has BFG ATs, Gen Grabber AT2s are another good option) as the difference is like night and day. I hate the 18s and you can probably get 16in rims fairly cheaply as any of either a D2, or a Range Rover P38a will fit (same stud pattern and many RR owners "upgrade" to 18s)

Purely personal taste but I think any low profile alloy/tyre combination looks a bit poofy on a Land Rover and the 16in ones look better!

Hi, I'm pretty new to the forum myself, but welcome.

It's odd to me that you are finding the disco bouncy and feeling all of the bumps...you've obviously never driven an LDV van :o

Ours is on 18" wheels without ACE and I think it handles really well (there's so much grip!). Yes it leans , or wallows, a bit in the corners but that's to be expected (although I would have thought your would be better with the ACE).

What do you mean by bouncy and feeling all of the bumps? When you say bouncy, does it settle down straight after a bump, or does it bounce for a while? And when you say feeling the bumps, are they harsh thumps?

My thinking is that you might just have a worn/leaky damper. Easy enough (and free) to check.

The Disco handles the corners well and is better than any other 4x4 ive had prob due to the ace system and I wouldnt want to change that, it just when you drive down all but the smoothest roads it tramlines a lot but I put tit down to the 18" wheels, the most annoying is any bumps feel like youve no suspension at all, but it does settle down straight after you have hit them, just thought the blisteins may dampen the thud a bit more like a decent car would..

WRT the tramlining on 18" wheels.....fit some General Grabber AT2s in 255/55R18 and you'll greatly improve it! It certainly did mine...

The 18" wheels will give a bit of a harsher ride due to there being less air cushion around them (overall rolling radius of the wheel/tyre combo should be the same whether 16 or 18"wheels are fitted) but they do look better as the arches are huge and look empty with 16s in!!

You have to remember that the Discovery is a glorified agricultural vehicle so will be a little harsh, but you'll soon get used to it.

they do look better as the arches are huge and look empty with 16s in!!

You can always fit 255/70R16 which looks much better :)

post-33-1227311482_thumb.jpg

The equivalent (correct) 255 section size for the 16in rims is 255/65R16 but I prefer the slightly larger size. No tramlining at all, not that we really have tramlines in the roads round here :)

You can always fit 255/70R16 which looks much better :)

post-33-1227311482_thumb.jpg

The equivalent (correct) 255 section size for the 16in rims is 255/65R16 but I prefer the slightly larger size. No tramlining at all, not that we really have tramlines in the roads round here :)

LOL thats my disco u nicked it, it may be something i will look into, perhaps the wife will drive it with more confidence if she is not having to fight the steering all the time, the roads around here are carp and always being repaired for one thing or another and she is right the car is off in all directions.

i have a set of koni heavy tracks and a set of 4 255/55 r18 mondial alloys on ebay for sale at the moment :lol: they will make it a little nicer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Discovery...A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Discovery...A1%7C240%3A1318

Already have the mondials on my Disco, what difference are the konis from standard ????

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased 4 koni heavy track shocks from ebay and also purchased the scorpion HD standard height springs the seller also had for sale, My question is to do with the springs, they are heavy duty ones can I fit these without it causing any real effect on my disco, it was an impulse buy, I do not have any winch or any extra weight on the front of the vehicle so just wandering if fitting heavy duty will cause me any problems or will they just act like standard springs.

Thanks for any advice

They will be stiffer. Land Rover HD springs are designed for vehicles that do a lot of milage with heavy loads or lots of towing (e.g. Police spec springs - loads of mileage with a boot full of gear). Aftermarket HD springs may be a little different, but on a standard Discovery with normal on-road useage, they will be a fair bit harsher - to the extent that you will probably want them off again within 50 miles. If the comments of your original post (bouncy and bumpy) still stand, you won't want HD springs on it.

Just my 2p in the pot. Others may differ in opinion.

They will be stiffer. Land Rover HD springs are designed for vehicles that do a lot of milage with heavy loads or lots of towing (e.g. Police spec springs - loads of mileage with a boot full of gear). Aftermarket HD springs may be a little different, but on a standard Discovery with normal on-road useage, they will be a fair bit harsher - to the extent that you will probably want them off again within 50 miles. If the comments of your original post (bouncy and bumpy) still stand, you won't want HD springs on it.

Just my 2p in the pot. Others may differ in opinion.

Thanks Orange for the advice, any other opinions, want to be definatley sure before the car goes in at the moment I am leaning towards Orange's advice and not having the fitted when the shocks are changed unless anyone knows different.

I find my D2 quite 'choppy' (that is, responds overly to uneven road surfaces) - it has ACE, coils all round and 16" wheels. Generally, it doesn't bother me and I find the cornering control and grip excellent. I use it probably 99.5% on road, 0.5% off road. My wife likes the car and drives it regularily!

What you need to remember is this is a solid axled, short wheelbase car. The Mitsubishi has a longer wheelbase and IFS, the Cherokee has a similar wheel base, but is considerably smaller. The set up will never be ideal for the road, but the Discovery probably does perform far better than either of the others over all, particularily off road and towing.

Bog Monster, how do you find the gearing on the 255/70/16s, I'm looking at replacing my tyres and was thinking about 245/70/16, but I like the idea of the extra size to stop me wiping the front bumper off it every time I'm off road?

get rid of the 18's you can get a set of 16" alloys that look the same fit these with 255/65/16 general grabber at2's put your new shocks on and the truck will feel spot on my disco 2 was the same on 18's and poor shocks now it drives superb as for shoguns and the like i've had the lot and prefer the disco to them everyday of the week. :)