My new steering wheel

he was refering to the new steering wheel being used in previous versions of RR

Are you sure????? I read Stephen's comment as him bulling up the fact his 90 has a tdi not a td5 - still I may be wrong - it has been known :rolleyes: - just can't remember the last time I was B)

His new 90 is a 'rest of the world' spec vehicle which still use the 300Tdi, all european vehicles have the Td5 as it meets the current emissions regs for europe & the 300Tdi doesn't [ but all existing euro/uk spec ones do meet the specs which were current when they were built]

So if you could locate one of these in another country (outside Europe) I take it it would be illegal to import one of these it and use it in the EEC. To get the side of the steering wheel right you would of course need to get one in somewhere like Oz or the Falklands. I presume the tdi as 'rest of the world spec' is available in all these countries and ship it over..........

But not of course you couldn't do this if it was illegal to run it here........bummer.

Morning

Great posting & very helpfull

I have exactly the old steering wheel you had on my Defender

does anyone know of the compatability of any of the discovery steering wheels to any of the defenders

of course I would be looking at only the pre-airbag steering wheel

appreciate any help(light) you can throw on the matter

Happy Trails

Abe

• 6 months later...
western said:
Yep, this one is the same moulding but black instead of brown or grey, a RR flat centre pad will fit it too

Just bit of a update I've recently got hold of the RR flat centre pad [a dark brown one from ebay] gave it a few light coats of Halfords Satin Black paint & this is the result

IMG_1045.jpg.2d53969a7733a0472f49593f4cbf04b0.jpg

Edited by western
photo replaced

Guest diesel_jim
you should see it a night when all my radio's & instruments are light up.

:i-m_so_happy:

might try & get a pic of it at night, but not sure if it'll be any good.

the phrase "Blackpool illuminations" springs to mind!! :D:D

you might be right DJ, if not a close 2nd :hysterical:

John, thats a smart wheel, not sure why LR used both types on the Td5's maybe the XS/County wheel looked right in those models & they wanted to distinguish it from the other models in the range, yours is the same coloum as the 300Tdi vehicles.

With reference to the question about using a smaller wheel I had been using a Mountney 14-inch wheel for years and found it very comfortable indeed but recently I fitted a Snap-Off adapter which meant I couldn't use the Mountney wheel so instead I bought a 12-inch wheel from Raid. The new wheel is just as comfortable (more padding & grip) and elbow room isn't an issue anymore.

diesel_jim said:
the phrase "Blackpool illuminations" springs to mind!! :D:D
Orgasmic Farmer said:
it looks like the starship Enterprise control room in there

hope this shows up OK, just been out to my 110 & took this, of my cab @ night B)

IMG_1046.jpg.3a997488a2652183d0d9d28c8fc145f3.jpg

Edited by western
photo's replaced

I have a Rover Metro wheel fitted which I got for 99p on Ebay :D . Its quite a bit smaller than the hard 4-spoke one that was on there and much more comfortable. The pic makes it looks huge and the centre wasn't fitted when I took it but its an excellent wheel.

dsc00081si2.jpg

Guest diesel_jim
western said:

hope this shows up OK, just been out to my 110 & took this, of my cab @ night B)

IMG_1046.jpg.3a997488a2652183d0d9d28c8fc145f3.jpg.a6d573d1535da3c68ea221e9fc54aafd.jpg

/radio "squelch background noise" for a second or 2/

"Hello Houston, this is Appollo 110 starting re-entry"

"appollo 110, this is Houston, you have diff-lock,green to go" :D

I have a Rover Metro wheel fitted which I got for 99p on Ebay :D . Its quite a bit smaller than the hard 4-spoke one that was on there and much more comfortable. The pic makes it looks huge and the centre wasn't fitted when I took it but its an excellent wheel.

dsc00081si2.jpg

I want one of those! Though I have a feeling it won't fit the Td5 type splines :(

I bought my radio housing (the genuine grey one as shown in the previous photo) from my local franchised dealer.

Having seen them go for anything between £10-£20 on the forums & at the shows I ordered one and paid just £12 (a couple of years ago now however). Worth checking.

for the normal radio, yes it's a grey plastic housing used on 300Tdi models, I got it from Ebay

LR part number is AWR2277LDQ previously BTR8539LDQ :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks Ralph, i'm going to get me one of those to put my Pioneer head unit in

I bought my radio housing (the genuine grey one as shown in the previous photo) from my local franchised dealer.

Having seen them go for anything between £10-£20 on the forums & at the shows I ordered one and paid just £12 (a couple of years ago now however). Worth checking.

I'll have a word with my Dad then. He's Warranty Manager at our local L/R dealer and normally manages to get a parts discount!

:D

Yep, it's 16 inches or 406mm diameter & the rim is thicker than the 4 spoke wheel.

thank you for the info, much appreciated.

cerrently deciding what to do with my wheel.

i have the small spline column which fits the rangie wheel.

i've got the rangie 4 spke leather one at the moment, but its a bit big. i think i could do with one that would sit just inside the current rim and be about 360mm (i don think that measurement is correct, i cant really remember what it was).

i think the rangie 2 spoke rim is still a bit big (although an easy solution) but i dont want to go too small either as the current one is good off road. if only i had a fat spline column, then i could procure a metro wheel for a few quid and just stick that on. going aftermarket is a bitmore pricey. maybe that's how i'll have to go though.

next question for the thread...

is a mountney boss with 6 studs the same as for momo, sparco, omp et al?

if it is, paddocks sell em for £8. if its not then aftermarket really does look pricey.

Good one Dunc, now get it fitted, you'll have to release the dashtop panel from the rest of the dash, take out the 3 large screws along the bottom of windscreen, 4 that hold the demist vent trim on, both ends of the dash [handhold on left & heater controls on right] where the top panel folds over above the radio there should be 2 or 3 screws, then you can lift the top panel & tuck the radio housing under it, then refit all the bits.