My new steering wheel

Good one Dunc, now get it fitted, you'll have to release the dashtop panel from the rest of the dash, take out the 3 large screws along the bottom of windscreen, 4 that hold the demist vent trim on, both ends of the dash [handhold on left & heater controls on right] where the top panel folds over above the radio there should be 2 or 3 screws, then you can lift the top panel & tuck the radio housing under it, then refit all the bits.

Thanks for that Ralph, i was wondering where the heck to start! :unsure:

Post a photo once it's fitted (once i'm out of plaster!) and working. B)

Thanks for that Ralph, i was wondering where the heck to start! :unsure:

Post a photo once it's fitted (once i'm out of plaster!) and working. B)

OK, just shout here or PM if you get stuck,

arm or leg in plaster? get well soon, there's a LR out there waiting for some :wub: TLC :wub::hysterical:

thank you for the info, much appreciated.

cerrently deciding what to do with my wheel.

i have the small spline column which fits the rangie wheel.

i've got the rangie 4 spke leather one at the moment, but its a bit big. i think i could do with one that would sit just inside the current rim and be about 360mm (i don think that measurement is correct, i cant really remember what it was).

i think the rangie 2 spoke rim is still a bit big (although an easy solution) but i dont want to go too small either as the current one is good off road. if only i had a fat spline column, then i could procure a metro wheel for a few quid and just stick that on. going aftermarket is a bitmore pricey. maybe that's how i'll have to go though.

next question for the thread...

is a mountney boss with 6 studs the same as for momo, sparco, omp et al?

if it is, paddocks sell em for £8. if its not then aftermarket really does look pricey.

The Mountney 'Classic' boss (the cheap one) is its own thing however the normal Mountney boss (around £30) will allow a variety of wheels to be fitted.

I bought mine from Demon Tweeks (part number for 36-spline fitment is MTNKK807X) however they were not at all helpfull and I ended up ringing Mountney direct to get the correct part number. I bought my Snap-Off kit & wheel from Raid who were polite, efficient (delivery in 2-days) and well priced.

Saw this wheel on a Td5 110 hi-cap T reg recently 

Wheel has a Astrali adaptor boss with these details stamped into it

Astrali 1978

reg des. app No 985548

patent No 2022764

wheel is 14 inches/357mm in diameter, attached by 6 nuts/bolts as per picture the centre cover has a spring loaded horn push part

not sure which LR wheel was originally fitted, but reckon it was the 300Tdi style version as used on current Td5's that are non-XS/County station wagon models.

Edited by western
dead photo link removed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

biggrin.gif It´s a Range Rover in disguise, heated RRC seats front and rear, RRC transfer box with viscous, RRC steering wheel and Cruise Control, wiper & indicator stalks with built in illumination ( I see this part will at least be appealing to you Mr Western), adjustable intermittent wipe, of course and steering column shrouds and spiral from RRC and hopefully soon ZF 4HP22...and P38 front interior dome light with map lights! Oh, and almost forgot, RRC centre cubby box...

It´s still a TD5, but well peppered and noisekilled tongue.gif

Yes I know, I´m well beyond recovery (at least mentally), DeRanged? wink.gif

And it all started from the RRC steering wheel...wacko.gif

Thank You! smile.gif

Btw does anyone have any experience about fast ratio steering boxes in Defenders in normal road/offroad use? Does it get too heavy or put too much strain to steering components thus making it not worthwhile? Was thinking if it could give any better steering response/accuracy on the road... I know I may have too wide tires for the fast steering ( or not enough biceps). wink.gif

biggrin.gif It´s a Range Rover in disguise, heated RRC seats front and rear, RRC transfer box with viscous, RRC steering wheel and Cruise Control, wiper & indicator stalks with built in illumination ( I see this part will at least be appealing to you Mr Western), adjustable intermittent wipe, of course and steering column shrouds and spiral from RRC and hopefully soon ZF 4HP22...and P38 front interior dome light with map lights! Oh, and almost forgot, RRC centre cubby box...

It´s still a TD5, but well peppered and noisekilled tongue.gif

Yes I know, I´m well beyond recovery (at least mentally), DeRanged? wink.gif

And it all started from the RRC steering wheel...wacko.gif

Love the idea of the RRC column and stalk controls. The Defender ones are a bit...lacking in mine at least.

Do you have any more information on what is required to perform the conversion? Parts, wiring/mounting modifications etc?

Would love to do that to mine.

Thank You! smile.gif

Btw does anyone have any experience about fast ratio steering boxes in Defenders in normal road/offroad use? Does it get too heavy or put too much strain to steering components thus making it not worthwhile? Was thinking if it could give any better steering response/accuracy on the road... I know I may have too wide tires for the fast steering ( or not enough biceps). wink.gif

doubt it would be worth the cost/effort & don't know if anybody does quick ratio boxes for 90/110's.

would be intereseted in the RR column stalk change too.

Yes, I also got tired of those sloppy original Defender stalks, and at least TD5 Defenders have the same intermittent wiper relay as RRC had installed in the factory. So nice and actually very useful addition! Stalks assembly was not a straight forward job, you will have to shorten the steering column tube to get the distance right ( but if you don´t fancy the cruise control then it´s a lot easier as you don´t have to install the spiral which takes about 2cm more depth). The steering shroud was basically cut, carve and try- method which also includes lowering the steering shaft about 2cm to make the shroud fit. But you´ll get a lot more relaxed driving position, at least if you are on the short side of tall like me...smile.gif

The wiring was a pretty straightforward, almost color to color, also the rear wiper switch! And a flashy red hazard warning light on the shroud as an added bonus!

Almost forgot that the stalk assembly of the RRC was a couple of mm´s smaller in inner diameter than Defenders steering columns outer tube, so a bit of thrilling drilling there...

But the hardest part has definitely been fitting those RRC rear seats...

doubt it would be worth the cost/effort & don't know if anybody does quick ratio boxes for 90/110's

would be intereseted in the RR column stalk change too.

Actually couple of companies do advertise them constantly in the LRM magazine, they are about 250£, but can´t remember if it was an outright or exchange unit price.

Yes Andy :D column should have 36 splines :D

this wheel won't fit 300Tdi Defenders with 48 spline shafts.

Hi! Will this also fit my old 1990 def 110 (Had a 2.5Na and now a Def 200tdi engine). Must check to see how many splines it has.