Replacement chassis - galvanise or paint?

Timmy511

If you inform the DVLA you can fit a second hand chassis. I suggest if you intend to go down that route you contact them first to make sure the doner car is known to them before you fit it.

:) :) :) ?

Hmmm, thats something I thought has stopped,

this would be good if true - need to look into this for a mate with a 90 chassis gone too far,

he was round at the weekend looking for me to weld it up - weld what to what was my comment :(

and can\'t afford a new one yet, .....2nd hand would be fine, but I was sure that it was a no no. ???

One reasosn being the points system :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Buyin...cle/DG_10014199

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A \'Q\' prefix registration number will be allocated.

The above killed it for him, the 2nd hand = SVA :(

Similarly :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Buyin...cle/DG_10014246

Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mix of new or used parts

In order to retain the original registration mark:

cars and car-derived vans must use:

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.

If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must pass a an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) test after which a \"Q\" prefix registration number will be allocated.

and :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...cate/DG_4022054

Changes you need to update

You’ll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the following changes to your vehicle:

colour

engine

cylinder capacity

fuel type (propulsion)

replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell

seating capacity

weight of a goods vehicle

Other changes

Your vehicle may need to be inspected by a DVLA local office. You must contact your nearest DVLA local office if you change:

wheel plan

body type

vehicle identification number (VIN)

chassis number

frame number for motorcycles

Re the above however there are without Q LOADS of 4x4s out there with the problem above, some in blissful ignorance, some knowingly and hoping that they never get a close look at, there is some logic in the last bit, ie who exactly are you defrauding if you pay tax, and what maybe is the position should you have to repair a front chassis leg which has the number in it, and you restamped it as 2best you could\" after the repair <cough> :lol:

All in all this is always going to be a grey area, ultimately you have to decide yourself, IF you can speak to DVLA re swopping a 2nd hand chasis over that sounds like a really good option if they will, mnay here would be interested to know this is an option, but fer gawds sake if your going to ring them do it BEFORE you buy and swapo it over :lol:

"Proper New" is easy, thats not a DVLA issue keep recipt have number blatted on :)

Now, wheres that tin of worms picture :lol:

Nige

my god, my add will read in the for sale section shortly:

'For sale, landrover 90 - simex, lockers, salisbury front a rear axles, 200 tdi, solid chassis to fit to replace existing crusty chassis at buyers risk.

i will gladly give the 90 to someone who will shoot me in the face at close range with no less than a 12 bore shot gun.'

I hate the stupid fugging rules in this country it just a joke, as the writing on the wall of my firends bike shop says 'no freedom please, we're British!'

and on that bright note and picture painted by mr hybrid from hell im off to play fallout 3, its not a post apocoliptic world in which a player imerses ones self, its an accurate sim of the hell that one is to face being a british citizen.

i excuse any older people not knowing what im on about.

What a load of palarva - you can swap a chassis like-for-like although the DVLA would prefer a direct new replacement from someone who makes chassis, a used on will suffice even if it's a bit of a grey area with the serial number. Bear in mind most vehicles do not experience chassis swaps and hence the DVLA and their rule book are not well adjusted to this practice. On most cars, swapping the chassis (or shell) either properly or in number only is only done when shady sorts ring a write-off or stolen vehicle, hence the DVLA can often be a bit apprehensive on the phone if you get the wrong muppet.

Personally I wouldn't be throwing in the towel because of what you hear on the internet - how about actually phoning the DVLA or VOSA and explaining the situation and asking what needs to be done, even better get it in writing. On the points system (which I have no idea if it still applies) the chassis was quite a few points but if memory serves not actually an "SVA-o-Clock" failure if you replaced it, assuming the rest was standard.

I think it's a good thing that they are strict about it.

This is at least some trouble for the people who are stealing our Landy....

"Yes, yes...the chassisnumber on this 2006 looking Land Rover seems a little strange but it is -Really- a 1985 one, I 've just replaced the chassis and polished the rest... :ph34r: "

I think it's a good thing that they are strict about it.

This is at least some trouble for the people who are stealing our Landy....

"Yes, yes...the chassisnumber on this 2006 looking Land Rover seems a little strange but it is -Really- a 1985 one, I 've just replaced the chassis and polished the rest... :ph34r: "

Sounds like a certain "1965 tax exempt series 2 hybrid" on E-Bay a while ago!.

If you inform the DVLA you can fit a second hand chassis. I suggest if you intend to go down that route you contact them first to make sure the doner car is known to them before you fit it.

I also ment to add it is possable they may ask for a VIC check at a VOSA station or a DVLA inspection by the local registration office to be carried out when the replacement is fitted (assuming you use a second hand one)

A couple of years ago we fitted a second hand chassis to a L200 pick up that had an accident. The truck was not subject to an insurance claim so before using the replacement we contacted DVLA with the chassis No. so its ID could be confirmed as NOT stolen. It was then inspected by the DVLA and the origional registration Number and vin numbers were retained. We were then told to put the origional number on to the chassis.

The process is really quite simple if you really want to go down that route.

What a load of palarva - you can swap a chassis like-for-like although the DVLA would prefer a direct new replacement from someone who makes chassis, a used on will suffice even if it's a bit of a grey area with the serial number. Bear in mind most vehicles do not experience chassis swaps and hence the DVLA and their rule book are not well adjusted to this practice. On most cars, swapping the chassis (or shell) either properly or in number only is only done when shady sorts ring a write-off or stolen vehicle, hence the DVLA can often be a bit apprehensive on the phone if you get the wrong muppet.

Personally I wouldn't be throwing in the towel because of what you hear on the internet - how about actually phoning the DVLA or VOSA and explaining the situation and asking what needs to be done, even better get it in writing. On the points system (which I have no idea if it still applies) the chassis was quite a few points but if memory serves not actually an "SVA-o-Clock" failure if you replaced it, assuming the rest was standard.

well if its all soooo simple as some other people have described please explain:

I rang the DVLA who put me through to another person in another department who could deal with the construction of vehicles, who put me through to another department who i explained it all to, who then said 'cant you just grind the number off the chassis?' to which i replied, 'yes but thats very illegal'. hes now asked me to email him with the details to he can bat it around the offices and kep some papier shufflers in a job around these hard times! i love civil servants.

i have come up with another idea to make it all above board, which would include the correct wording on the recipt from the seller.

i hate this country it puts in place all these daft rules to stop teft and ringing etc but it doesnt actually stop theives does it, it just makes GENUINE, HONEST peoples lives a real pain.

You think the UK is bad, Norway makes it look like a ´free for all do what you want as long as it has an MOT´.

Just changing the tyre size above 5% of what is registered in the V5 (equivalent) requires an inspection and

autorisation from the manufacturer/ TUV/ equivalent.

You are correct that a replacement chassis is 5 points you need to retain 8 points out of a possible 14 points. So if everything else is kept standard then you are left with 9 points so it just scrapes through.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that if you replace your chassis with a new like for like part then I think it doesn't count as any points. As in when people fit a galv chassis and a 200tdi to a series engine it wouldn't leave enough unless that was the case.

Technically Timmy should be fine to replace the chassis with a second hand one and notify the DVLA. The problem will come in the future if he/future owner wants to replace the engine or suspension or axles or transmission or steering assembly with a different second hand one - then this would take it over the threashold and require an SVA. MOst of those parts aren't recorded by the DVLA though so only the engine would matter.

Also I don't think it is illegal to grind of a chassis number and restamp if you have a legimate reason to do so.

A S/H Chassis not only doesn't count as 5 points.... it actaully triggers an SVA - see DVLA link above,

if it was just loosing 5 points..... although that would be bad enough ....thats not how it works sadly :(

If you replace your chassis with A NEW Chassis either Genuine OR a Manufactuer (like say Richards)

then a recipet is all you need and the old number is stamped in and your 100% legal again....

and you still have 5 poionts ....as it is a NEW Chassis

I have had chats to DVLA before, ( I wrote a 2 page artcile on this very subject for LRM a while back now -

so I had done my research) your big prob is speaking to someone in DVLA VOSA who actually knows the rules,

but from my chats SH chassis = SVA period. Anyway around this is illegal, but many 'chose' to do it - their call.

And grinding a chassis number off isn't 'illegal' in itself,.... its why you are doing it in the 1st place :lol:

..............and what you do then .............as to the identity of the chassis that may be.

Ever seen those police VOSA "pull into the lay by sir" around the country ?...yep thats where you'll find your SH chassis prob,

those guys DO know what they are looking for / at - next time you pas one see the cars 4x4 etc parked in a line at the side ?

They are the Fails - some are removed off the road then and there..... for "Investigation"

A new chassis is frankly so much a better option for so many reasons :)

Nige

In the case of an LR the chassis is the vehicle.

The only way I can see for you to use a SH chassis is to buy it and its V5 then put your body on it and send of the V5 for change of colour, engine etc effectively putting that other vehicle back on the road and scrapping yours.

If your vehicle is younger than the replacement chassis you were going to use and the body is in good condition then I think the new chassis is the better route in the long term.

Steve

A S/H Chassis not only doesn't count as 5 points.... it actaully triggers an SVA - see DVLA link above,

if it was just loosing 5 points..... although that would be bad enough ....thats not how it works sadly :(

If you replace your chassis with A NEW Chassis either Genuine OR a Manufactuer (like say Richards)

then a recipet is all you need and the old number is stamped in and your 100% legal again....

and you still have 5 poionts ....as it is a NEW Chassis

I missed that quote above first time and your link didn't work, but you are correct. 2nd hand chassis is a no go area really.

Just to clarify with your second paragraph are you saying a Brand New richards chassis still takes off the 5 points leaving you with 9 points as it's a replacement? Or would you be left with the full 14 points?

If it's the first (you are left with 9 points) then how to people go about having a new galv chassis and a 200tdi engine?

Such a shame no-one seems to make a discovery chassis, as i wanna swap mine, in fact, i've already bought a s/h chassis, but have been wondering how to get round the number issue..... it seems i can't.......

I think richards are going to start doing these fairly soon?

Just to clarify with your second paragraph are you saying a Brand New richards chassis still takes off the 5 points leaving you with 9 points as it's a replacement? Or would you be left with the full 14 points?

No points are taken then.

That's what I thought you meant,

Just seems strange that they would make it 5 points for a second hand chassis swap (leaving enough points to not need an SVA) - You'd have thought they would just be better saying it was 7 points so it could never be done.

They sort of contradict themselves a bit, but your quote makes it clear enough

The problem is the SVA system as designed for standard cars. Not the meccano kits that we drive. Therefore they don't legislate for it. Separate chassis and body.

There should be no real issues with it if you find the correct centre to go and ask advice. Like with all the other SVA stuff on here. There are so many different versions of the definitive answer. If you can get your local centre to sign off on what you want to achieve then go for it. Just take lots of pics and make sure of your facts before you turn a spanner.

Everyone keeps going on about the points system t keep the reg and avoid an SVA. But what about all the people who cut rear crossmembers off and replace with non standard parts. Again SVA if you take the rules to the letter. Just because it is stronger doesn't make it better. Crash tests will be done on the standard chassis, if you change the strength of different bits the chassis will then react differently in the event of a crash. And either not deform like it's supposed to or cause injury possibly fatalities to the other parties involved.

Thanks...... i had heard a rumour that somone was...... maybe they think there's a demand..... i've asked that many people nothing would surprise me...LOL... mind you, i dread to think of the cost...!!!

You should ask them.

The more people who ask the more likely they are to get on and do it.

Steve

Guest diesel_jim

So.... galvanise or paint? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As has been said... if the chassis is "old" and maybe rusty inside, i wouldn't bother wasting the money on galv'ing when there is the risk it could just flake off inside.

So.... galvanise or paint? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As has been said... if the chassis is "old" and maybe rusty inside, i wouldn't bother wasting the money on galv'ing when there is the risk it could just flake off inside.

when the galvanising costs ony 100 pounds and the chassis only needs taking half an hour down the road, i think is just a cheap as painting.

i hear what you saying reguarding the possible rust inside the rails, its would be just the same if i waxoyled it, and to waxoyl and paint would cost me 60 quid (2 tins of waxoyle and a tin of chassis black).

galvanised chassis here we come!

when the galvanising costs ony 100 pounds and the chassis only needs taking half an hour down the road, i think is just a cheap as painting.

That sounds like a good price, almost too good to be true. Don't you nead a really clean chassis, acid dipped & washed before plating. I just can't see all this being done for £100.

I'd definently pay £100 if it means that I don'thave to pick up a paintbrush ever again though! Galv is so much better than paints.

What firms will galvanising a chassis for that sort of price?

Oh, I'd say galvanise as you have probably gathered by now!